Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Jordan's?

Air Jordans stink. Got a pair a few years ago and couldn't jump an inch. Of course, the same was true when I was a teenager playing in my converses.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    New Balance, New Balance,
    New Balance, New Balance
    Great running shoe, not such a great basketball shoe IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Air Jordans stink. Got a pair a few years ago and couldn't jump an inch. Of course, the same was true when I was a teenager playing in my converses.
    Remember the PF Flyers? The ad they had that showed a kid jumping over stuff when he put them on? That costs me a few stitches when I didn't clear the cedar fence in my front yard.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Remember the PF Flyers? The ad they had that showed a kid jumping over stuff when he put them on? That costs me a few stitches when I didn't clear the cedar fence in my front yard.
    OH MY GOD!!! I just spit coffee on the screen. This brought to mind how fast I used to think I was b/c I had some "Zips"...

And I thought I'd show exactly what the team is wearing...
    http://www.bustersports.com/blog/acc...am-is-wearing/

Personally I'm a life long Jordan fan. I supported MJ since the first shoe and intentionally got my shoe a half size too big so I wouldn't have to get SKY Jordans which was not considered equal by teenagers at the time.

As far as the shoe goes - if you can afford to play basketball in them - there really is no comparison. Adidas doesn't have the arch support, Reebok is cheap, UnderArmor probably cannot even be mentioned right now, and the rest like Fila, Puma, Pony, AND1, the Starburys, and Converse barely even scratch the surface...

it must be the shoes. Zeller is now out either 4-6 weeks (N&O) or indefinitely (wral) depending on which report you read.

looks like the dave mcclure show over there for him now
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    it must be the shoes. Zeller is now out either 4-6 weeks (N&O) or indefinitely (wral) depending on which report you read.

looks like the dave mcclure show over there for him now
    If Zeller came to Duke Hospital for the Carlos Boozer Treatment, I assume it would be unethical to turn him away?

I like a wide toe box on my shoes. Toes are very important in making subtle shifts in weight and direction of force. In good feet, they're smart (actually, we have learned to use them well and that ability has become habitual and unnoticeable), and a tremendous asset. If they are scrunched into a narrow fronted shoe, I believe that the foot becomes a less adaptive and therefore effective tool. Arch supports are comfortable, but can they fight? Nope, again they inhibit movement in the foot, elongation in the arch and through the joints in the upper foot, which can be a difference maker. Save em for your high-end casual/outdoor shoes.

I like a wide toe box on my shoes. Toes are very important in making subtle shifts in weight and direction of force. In good feet, they're smart (actually, we have learned to use them well and that ability has become habitual and unnoticeable), and a tremendous asset. If they are scrunched into a narrow fronted shoe, I believe that the foot becomes a less adaptive and therefore effective tool. Arch supports are comfortable, but can they fight? Nope, again they inhibit movement in the foot, elongation in the arch and through the joints in the upper foot, which can be a difference maker. Save em for your high-end casual/outdoor shoes.
    What is it with you and feet??

What is it with you and feet??
    No one brings up the parts I'm really interested in. Actually, if you're interested in sports like basketball, soccer, and lacrosse, which comprise my favs, it seems to me that you have to be very interested in how feet operate and how to maximize the chances that they operate effectively, efficiently, and safely, no?

Many people write about how this player or that has to improve his hops, get quicker, get stronger, etc. The machine that is the feet, their efficiency, has an exponential effect on the amount of force that pressing into the ground generates. Nature knows of no other possibilities. Yet, most people talk about everything under the sun but the feet when discussing the aforementioned. How come?
    Last edited by greybeard; 01-15-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: add words

No one brings up the parts I'm really interested in. Actually, if you're interested in sports like basketball, soccer, and lacrosse, which comprise my favs, it seems to me that you have to be very interested in how feet operate and how to maximize the chances that they operate effectively, efficiently, and safely, no?

Many people write about how this player or that has to improve his hops, get quicker, get stronger, etc. The machine that is the feet, their efficiency, has an exponential effect on the amount of force that pressing into the ground generates. Nature knows of no other possibilities. Yet, most people talk about everything under the sun but the feet when discussing the aforementioned. How come?
    Well, I will agree with you that you need to have feet to play those sports, and many most other sports too.

Well, I will agree with you that you need to have feet to play those sports, and many most other sports too.
    Use them well my friend, your feet that is, and you will jump higher, run faster, hit harder, shoot with greater ease and accuracy, swing with more fluidity and power, and, I believe that this is where we began, your body will wear better. Or maybe not. As my old man used to say at such a point as this, "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

What shoes do the Duke players wear? It always seems to me that their shoes are always mismatched (Compared player to player, not that they would have two different shoes on their feet)

Here's a few short, good tips:

When at home, go barefoot as much as possible.

When watching games, instead of twiddling your fingers when you get nervous, play with your toes, each individually, elongate each one, twirl it gently (if you do it gently enough and find the right direction, you will twirl your metatarsals as well), and then interlace the fingers of your hand with your toes from the top (cross your ankle over your other knee before trying this, I will not be responsible for anyone who reaches down to the floor to try this and yanks out his back).
    Don't mention it.
    I definitely believe in the barefoot at home - although socks are manditory in the winter due to cold floors. Of course, that is probably due to childhood years in Japan - shoes came off at the door and I didn't like slippers.

I'll have to try the toe tips. On the occasions when I polish my toe nails, I use the foam toe separators and leave them in until the toes are totally dry. My feet always feel great when I take them out. Therefore, I think I'm going to love the exercise you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Congratulations on your impending certification but if my husband starts playing with his feet while we are watching a game, I may just freak out.
    Ditto on the congratulations. But Weezie, don't freak out if you husband plays with his feet. Just get him to give you a wonderful foot massage instead.

shoes and foot injuries ...

Greybeard appears to have considerable insight into this subject. Let me add a bit more food for thought ...

There is a growing interest in the contribution of shoes, specifically running shoes, to the increasing incidence of foot injuries among runners. I am not aware of any analyses in other sports but some likely exists. The theory is that our dependence on cushioned running shoes has led to the decline in the strength and adaptive ability of the intrinsic muscles of our feet. We have moved further and further away from our origins, which involved running barefoot. In fact, there is a growing interest in training (if not running all the time) without shoes, or running in minimalist shoes, like Nike's Free or Vibram's "5 Finger" shoes to strengthen the feet and reduce injuries.

There is some interesting reading out there if you want to look into this further. Maybe Nike and The K lab ought to explore this also. We've had our own share of foot injuries (Brand and Boozer come to mind). Just don't tell the UNC trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Greybeard appears to have considerable insight into this subject. Let me add a bit more food for thought ...

There is a growing interest in the contribution of shoes, specifically running shoes, to the increasing incidence of foot injuries among runners. I am not aware of any analyses in other sports but some likely exists. The theory is that our dependence on cushioned running shoes has led to the decline in the strength and adaptive ability of the intrinsic muscles of our feet. We have moved further and further away from our origins, which involved running barefoot. In fact, there is a growing interest in training (if not running all the time) without shoes, or running in minimalist shoes, like Nike's Free or Vibram's "5 Finger" shoes to strengthen the feet and reduce injuries.

There is some interesting reading out there if you want to look into this further. Maybe Nike and The K lab ought to explore this also. We've had our own share of foot injuries (Brand and Boozer come to mind). Just don't tell the UNC trainers.
    Man I'm all about inserts. I NEVER have foot problems...

18. barefoot shoes

I have the KSO model of the the Virbram Five Finger shoes and really like them. I run in them, wear them in the house sometimes and on errands. Can't play basketball in them but I like them as an everyday shoe. They are really comfortable (need to get the right size in a shoe store, would not suggest ordering online, need a tight fit) once you get used to them. They look really weird but are super comfortable, let you toes stretch out and supposedly strengthen your feet.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/indexNA.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Man I'm all about inserts. I NEVER have foot problems...
    If you stand up barefoot, without even looking down, you might be surprised what a mess your feet are. Some toes hammered, some curled, all pointing in differnet direction, some not touching the floor at all, feet themselves pointing in different directionsm weight distributed wildly differently on each foot.

The toes being askew are a function of the muscles of the leg. You got no muscles in the feet themselves that would cause such a mess. The mess among your toes goes up into the metatarsals, prevents natural ability of em to rotate, and the joint in the upper foot, which can't move much, to move even the little which is important. The lower joints of the toe itself, there are two, also function pretty wierdly, have tendencies to move in different directions (vectors) although the vectors are somtimes curved.

You play with your toes even the little I have suggested (see a post last year I think for a more detailed regimen), and you will be surprised for the better. Guaranteed.

Inserts are fine. I am not sure at all about shoes that lock one's foot in. I know that shoes that crunch the toes together cannot possibly be good--in the sense of maximizing the ease and efficacy of using your feet to amulate.

Vibram Five Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrianZoubekExperience View Post
    I have the KSO model of the the Virbram Five Finger shoes and really like them. I run in them, wear them in the house sometimes and on errands. Can't play basketball in them but I like them as an everyday shoe. They are really comfortable (need to get the right size in a shoe store, would not suggest ordering online, need a tight fit) once you get used to them. They look really weird but are super comfortable, let you toes stretch out and supposedly strengthen your feet.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/indexNA.cfm
    I'm headed for Vegas for a convention tomorrow - the shoe store is on my list of things to do. I can barely get decent running shoes where I'm at much less Five Fingers. Usually, I order online and take my chances. A store in Vegas has them though - it's only a four mile run from the hotel to the store in balmy 50-60 degree weather. I'll be checking them out. Might not work for me though as one foot is larger (substantially so) than the other.

I did just get a pair of NB trail shoes (MT100's) that are incredibly light and responsive. They also have a rock plate under the ball of the foot to minimize stone bruises.

I wonder if some of the foot problems Zoubs had were shoe related. He's looking much more comfortable in lateral movements this year.