Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sometimes, I hate the Chronicle

This is one of the stupidest things that I have ever read. Even if benching Singler was a good idea, the article gives absolutely no suggestion for what to do while he sits. He mentions that it will free up time for Mason, but that is preposterous unless you want to play with three big men. It would only put Dre and Kelly on the court more, which isn't a terrible idea, but as starters? I'd rather not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, and Chronicle sports columnists gotta write poorly reasoned inflammatory columns in hopes of garnering some undeserved attention. It's the Circle of Life.

Oh, this stuff goes on at every single student newspaper on Earth, not just the Chronicle.

I was once a columnist at a student newspaper. I still bristle at the generic criticism that the kids write this stuff because "he or she is trying to make a splash/get noticed, etc." That's not really what's going on. Maybe the guy who wrote this really believes Kyle should be benched. Maybe he doesn't. Either way, I suspect that somewhere in his mind he was thinking, "Writing this will help demonstrate that I'm not a Duke homer, even though I write for the student paper."

Young journalists often confuse fairness with taking silly positions simply because the position goes against the grain. I did it all the time. I still do to some degree from time to time, but experience and perspective helps you pull it off without sounding crazy. (I hope, I think).

That said, this is exactly what student media is for. The ideas aren't always fully formed and are sometimes flat wrong. But it's a phase everyone who's learning the trade goes through. Every professional journalist has this sort of stuff in their past; the best ones are the ones who get it out of their system and don't keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    He mentions that it will free up time for Mason
    Why why why why why why why why WHY would your solution for giving your freshman center more playing time be to bench your star small forward who can play guard on a team with only four guards on the roster and is a much better basketball player than your current starting power forward and center?

Yeah, I get what you're saying about the student journalist thing. But it's still stupid.

He mentions that all of Duke's "away from home" wins have come at neutral sites.

Remind me again: where are tournament games held?

I am not defending the article, but I think a key point the author was making was the idea of Kyle realizing the team can survive without him... I suppose the idea being that he will stop pressing, or he will allow his teammates to "win" a game when he is struggling?

Benching seems a bit extreme. I will say, though, that I was thinking about posting a thread titled something like "Time to face hit: Kyle just isn't that good of a shooter." He's streaky for sure and has great form, but it doesn't look like he's going to be a 40% 3 point shooter.

I ended up not posting it b/c I felt it was too early to jump to that conclusion. Its still early in this season and for the last 2 seasons he has played a lot in the post on D and that can easily have worn him out in terms of affecting his shot. And now of course there's the excuse this year that he is still adjusting to playing outside more...I don't fully buy into either of those, but Kyle has earned the benefit of the doubt in my mind, so I'll wait a little longer before I pass judgement. Maybe he can come back next year, shoot 40% and make my judging much easier

Article says Bench everyone but Mason and Scheyer

So we would play 2 on 5?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    So we would play 2 on 5?
    I don't know about that, but Mason has GOT to start. I rarely question or disagree with K, but I spent the last two games pleading with Comcast/Samsung/my DVR to play Mason more.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I don't know about that, but Mason has GOT to start. I rarely question or disagree with K, but I spent the last two games pleading with Comcast/Samsung/my DVR to play Mason more.
    You spent the last game pleading to play Mason more? He got 26 minutes.

When I first read the title of that article it made me cringe, but I think he does make an interesting point.

"He needs to see that his teammates are fine without him. Singler must realize that he does not have to go out of his way to carry the team, but can simply take whatever defenses give him."

When I first started noticing that he was taking a lot of deep threes, I thought he was just screwing around bc it was early in the season. Now I think this rings a bit true: he's forcing shots because he feels like he needs to be better than the singler of last year, despite the fact that he hasn't really learned how to play the 3.

Its been said a million times on these boards before, but now he doesn't have the advantage of driving around bigger slower defenders. It's going to take him a while to find something he's good at (IMO he needs to slash and use his height to shoot over the 3's that defend him), and until then he shouldn't be forcing the stuff he does.

Bench him? Definitely not. I think the author hit on a bit of the problem, but keeping him out is not going to help him redefine his game. Is it so bad to just be patient?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, and Chronicle sports columnists gotta write poorly reasoned inflammatory columns in hopes of garnering some undeserved attention. It's the Circle of Life.
    Sometimes the Chronicle should bench its columnists and give more deserving ones a chance.

WHAT?!?!?

"And I’m not talking about a change in name only—he should be limited to about 20 minutes."

This quote almost made me spit my afternoon coffee all over my computer! We're 1-1 in the ACC and you want an All American to play 20 minutes in the next 2 ballgames?

I was at the game Saturday and left the arena fuming over the play of Kyle and Lance, and will admit that i said they should both sit tonight until the first official TO to send a message (once i calmed down I quickly realized that was stupid also) and put dre and mason in their spots. Wanting to see him play 40 combined minutes in the next 2 games is completely assanine. He can't break out of his in-game funk with his butt on a chair...Along with the race article written last year, this article may have ended my days reading the chronicle. Who lets this stuff get published?

While benching Singler is a ridiculous idea, Kyle needs to stop pressing and forcing the issue on offense. In every recent game he seems dead set on trying to force in 20+ points no matter how many shots it takes. If he would instead concentrate on facilitating his teammates' scoring, opposing defenses would have to adjust and he would get more high percentage scoring opportunities.
    Last edited by stickdog; 01-13-2010 at 03:09 PM.

I disagree with the author, but I sure hope Kyle read the column.

He may go for 40.

I totally disagree with this author. Sounds like he'd make a good U.S. politician though, being that completely out of touch with his constituents.

Reasoned article

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I had similar thoughts earlier this season; I was suggesting a little more time to rest/observe the game. This way he can be quasi-relieved of the heavy burden and expectations of being, "Kyle Singler" pre-season All American and NPOY candidate. I don't believe he is truly struggling per se; I think his game is either evolving and he is discovering his strengths and learning how to play at a different position.?.?. I don't truly know though.

What I do find hard to believe is: the number of people who TOTALLY misread someone else's thoughts and dismiss them as either "poorly reasoned, ridiculous, or lack of knowledge and insight. Perception is perception. If 8 out of 10 people perceive something one way; there must be something that they see that quasi-justifies their claims. While the headliner was attention grabbing and maybe a bit sensational, I thought the writers perspective was genuine. We all want Kyle to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Parent 06 View Post
    Sometimes the Chronicle should bench its columnists and give more deserving ones a chance.
    The Chronicle never gives the more deserving ones on the bench enough time to develop.

I'm calling it now. Kyle for 25+ tonight.