Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Not a chance unless he picks up his game substantially.
    Very very true. Singler is projected to go as a late first rounder. I haven't seen anywhere where he is a lottery pick. The way is playing, IMO, he shouldn't be a lottery pick. In the NBA, being absolutely versatile and doing the little things that Kyle does not classify as being "lottery pick material". That said, he will be a hell of a pick up for someone in the second half of the first round.

Because of this, I would be surprised if Kyle left early. Unless his game substantially improves this year, I really don't see Kyle leaving early.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

In the NBA, Kyle's a 3. He has to have an NBA jump shot to play there, and this year he hasn't shown it. If I were a pro and drafted him, it would be with the knowledge that he has to work on it for a year. So, for everyone's sake, he's be better off working on it at Duke.

A Couple of Things...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Very very true. Singler is projected to go as a late first rounder. I haven't seen anywhere where he is a lottery pick. The way is playing, IMO, he shouldn't be a lottery pick. In the NBA, being absolutely versatile and doing the little things that Kyle does not classify as being "lottery pick material". That said, he will be a hell of a pick up for someone in the second half of the first round.

Because of this, I would be surprised if Kyle left early. Unless his game substantially improves this year, I really don't see Kyle leaving early.
    1. I wonder, since Kyle has apparently adjusted his class schedule to accommodate "NBA plans", if he already mentally has his bags packed and what kind of mental obstacle it would be to commit to another year of academics.

2. Does he want to take another year of pounding and potential injury and not get paid for it?

NOTHING would make me happier than to have another year of Kyle, the greatest warrior I've seen wearing Duke blue. And if he DOES come back, does he move back to more of an inside role, (since we're losing Lance and Zoubs) or stay more on the perimeter? But that's getting ahead of things, I know.

One more (potential) question: IF Kyle comes back, how do you justify keeping him on the perimeter if Irving, Nolan, Dre and Seth prove to be superior shooters from range?

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    NOTHING would make me happier than to have another year of Kyle, the greatest warrior I've seen wearing Duke blue. And if he DOES come back, does he move back to more of an inside role, (since we're losing Lance and Zoubs) or stay more on the perimeter? But that's getting ahead of things, I know.

One more (potential) question: IF Kyle comes back, how do you justify keeping him on the perimeter if Irving, Nolan, Dre and Seth prove to be superior shooters from range?
    If Singler returns, I would guess that he'd split his time between the 3 and 4. We'd have the Plumlees and Kelly to play the 5 (and some 4) and Hairston would play some 4. We'd also have Irving/Curry/Smith/Dawkins/Thornton to rotate at the perimeter - primarily at the 1 and 2, but some at the 3.

But despite that, offensively Singler would still be an "outside in" player. Singler has played primarily on the perimeter all three of his years at Duke. The only difference has been who has been guarding him. In his first two years, he was guarded by college 4s and 5s. This year, he's being guarded primarily by college 3s. Next year, he'd be guarded by 3s and 4s depending upon our lineup.

1. I wonder, since Kyle has apparently adjusted his class schedule to accommodate "NBA plans", if he already mentally has his bags packed and what kind of mental obstacle it would be to commit to another year of academics.

2. Does he want to take another year of pounding and potential injury and not get paid for it?

While I agree with most that Kyle should come back, the fact that Coach K is going so hard after players like Roscoe Smith, Terrance Ross, Carrick Felix, Trey Zeigler, etc. makes me wonder. There are many other reasons for this that include Kyle coming back for his senior yr - added depth, etc, but it seems like K wouldn't mind adding more than one of these players, which makes me wonder even more that Kyle may indeed be going pro after this season regardless of his shortcomings.

Kyle's still a baller. He contributes a LOT to the team despite his shots not falling. They have him curling around the elbow a lot and taking a lot fade-aways and other shots while he's still moving away from the basket. He doesn't get a lot of looks where he can square his body. Those type of shots may not be for him.

He'll be alright, just watch!

1. I wonder, since Kyle has apparently adjusted his class schedule to accommodate "NBA plans"
    care to elaborate?
    1200. DDMF.

Singler's fun to watch, and he works hard on defense and is scrappy, and from what I can tell from tv is a very likable guy, but he isn't ready for the NBA until he can demonstrate a consistent ability to hit the contested 15 and 20 footers that he has been consistently missing this year. It's still only January, though, and all he really has to do is show the ability to dominate in the tournament to become a potential NBA starter (which is presumably what a 1st round pick is expected to eventually be). And it's not NBA flattery to say that he's second to Scheyer this year (or behind Mason in potential).

But if he doesn't really pick up steam, he might profit from an additional year learning the small forward spot as a Duke starter (as opposed to the 11th man for Oklahoma City) and continuing to work on his body in actual games and the Duke weight room rather than in practice and hotel gyms. Henderson's situation was different since he was mostly getting drafted because of athleticism, which wouldn't get better in a year (he's averaging under 3 points/game, btw).

Class Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    care to elaborate?
    Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that he has no classes before (I think) 11AM so that he can work out in the morning? Of course, trying to eradicate early classes is a goal of MANY college students, isn't it?

I wasn't trying to read anything more into it than that - sorry if it implied something else. But I still wonder about the basic question I asked. If he has the mindset of "I'm going pro after this year", would it be hard to re-adjust mentally to the thought of one more year of classes? Just a thought.

Just to be clear - Kyle is one of my all-time top 5 Duke players and I am in NO way trying to say anything negative about him. I'd LOVE another year of him.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    While I agree with most that Kyle should come back, the fact that Coach K is going so hard after players like Roscoe Smith, Terrance Ross, Carrick Felix, Trey Zeigler, etc. makes me wonder. There are many other reasons for this that include Kyle coming back for his senior yr - added depth, etc, but it seems like K wouldn't mind adding more than one of these players, which makes me wonder even more that Kyle may indeed be going pro after this season regardless of his shortcomings.
    I suspect that, at the moment, neither Kyle nor K know whether Kyle will be back next year. I further suspect that, learning from past experience, K is recruiting based on an assumption that any and all of his best players might leave early.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    not if he's not projected to go in the 1st round, he won't

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    not if he's not projected to go in the 1st round, he won't
    Well, we don't really know that either. As others have surmised, he may have been on a 3-year plan the whole time, and may already have put all his eggs in the NBA basket. I mean, there were not a whole lot of us who expected Shavlik Randolph to leave after his junior season, but he did.

I'll certainly be more surprised if he leaves if the scout/gm/analyst consensus has him as a borderline first rounder, but I won't necessarily be shocked.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Count me among those that feel that as good a player as Kyle is for us, with his current game he is not an outstanding 3 prospect at the next level, nor would he be drafted high on the basis of upside. At the start of the year, I read an attribution from a scout (that I can't find anymore) that said Kyle's chance of a high draft position would be determined largely based on whether his 3 pt FG% started with a 4. I also think he needs to be stronger with the ball. Not saying he can't get there, but so far I don't see it.

Would an extra year help? I don't know. But I also don't see him staying unless we got to the Final 4 and lost and he felt he could make the difference next year.

I think several different posters have described the same thing regarding Kyle...

He's not a 4 in the NBA, but he doesn't have the jump shot to be sought after as a 3 yet...If he isn't athletic enough to beat college 3's off the dribble, it isn't going to suddently happen in the NBA...

This probably won't be a well received opinion, but Singler reminds me of Brian Cardinal who went to Purdue and has hung around the NBA for awhile...

It's all about the development of that long range jumper for Kyle...

One fact I haven't seen discussed in this thread is injuries. Kyle is currently hampered by a sprained wrist and earlier in the year he was banged up with an ankle injury. He has played through those injuries and is putting up some impressive numbers:

1. 7.3 rpg (leads team)
    2. 23 steals (leads team)
    3. 15 blocks (second on team)
    4. 15.8 ppg (third on team)

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf4/6...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Bob Green

This won't be popular... but I'm officially worried

Kyle is an excellent rebounder and defender at the 3, and a very good shooter at times. However, his ballhandling and hands have gotten shaky to the point that I felt he was an offensive liability at the 3 last night. 12 points on 12 shots, 5 turnovers and 1 assist is a detrimental offensive stat line, and there will several other times he lost the ball and barely recovered it, disrupting the flow of the offense.

He has put up the occaisonal 20-point game, but not without 16-17 shots. He has shot 37% since the ACC "phase" began with an 0.67 A/TO ratio, and is getting 1.21 PPS for the year, the lowest of all of our starters (1.145 since the ACC phase).

IMHO, his role in the offense needs to be seriously rethunk. I don't like seeing him dribble on the perimeter, really, at all. I'd like to see him focus his energy on moving off the ball, using his size to get favorable position to catch the ball (posting up, yes, but also by cutting), and keeping the ball high and finishing in the lane while popping out for the 3 occaisonally. Maybe use him as a screener for some pick and pops. I'd also like to see him stay more vertical and controlled when driving, so he can use his height to get quick shots off over defenders and keep his options open. No need to bend forward so much and shrink himself to the defender's height.

He has considerable offensive skills... I just don't think they're currently being utilized in a way that is most effective and least detrimental to the team. Hopefully we figure out what that is as the season progresses.

I do think that, for the most part, right now Kyle isn't showing he's ready to go to the league after this season (as a first-round pick). He's a super warrior for Duke and solid for the college game, but for his size and projected role in the pros, he is going to need to show considerable improvement and impact from here on out if he's going to get serious looks from the pros for a first-round draft spot.

dth.

What I've noticed much more of late is how often Kyle gets blocked with a drive. He isn't athletic enough to soar over a big defender, and he isn't crafty enough (a la Jon Sheyer or Nolan Smith) to consistently alter his own shot and still put up a high % shot. I think he is much better 3-5 feet around the rim then taking it to the hole. I'm not sure how NBA scouts would interpret that, or if Im just picking up on something that really isnt there. What yall think?

good thing we have low expectations...

I know Singler is a bit off the pace..

I tend to think that his shooting slump is due to busting tail on D.

He has a handle... he is one of 3 players that we really want dribbling right now. On D hes having to help Thomas, Zoubs (who cant move), and various Frosh and Soph's that blow assignments.

Give the guy a break, hes busting his tail.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHopkins View Post
    What I've noticed much more of late is how often Kyle gets blocked with a drive. He isn't athletic enough to soar over a big defender, and he isn't crafty enough (a la Jon Sheyer or Nolan Smith) to consistently alter his own shot and still put up a high % shot. I think he is much better 3-5 feet around the rim then taking it to the hole. I'm not sure how NBA scouts would interpret that, or if Im just picking up on something that really isnt there. What yall think?
    indeed he is; his problem, though, is at the next level, he's not going to play much down there. just not strong enough.