Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

are any of you streaming Netflix?

and with what device?

i started streaming on my PS3 and it really is very good.

YES, YES, YES!!!

We alternate between XBOX Live (best interface), Tivo (most convenient), and PlayOn Media (on Wii downstairs.)

I've always found movies to watch, have about 30 in the queue, but I wish their collection of TV series on demand was larger.

Sony Bravia XRB TV with the Bravia Internet. Don't listen to the idiots at Best Buy. It works like a charm.

I am addicted. It's not Blu Ray but it's high def. Great for catching up on TV shows.

I got a Blu Ray for xmas and wondering why. Pretty much everything will be streaming within 2 years.

Yes via the Roku player. Love it. Really good selection of movies

Just started streaming through my XBOX 360. Love the interface and the selection, but agree about needing more TV show seasons. $8.99 a month for streaming and one movie out at a time? It's a no brainer.

I stream on the 360 and I love it! I highly recommend the movie Primer, which is available for the instant que. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but its sort of a mind-blowing kind of movie, sort of sci-fi I guess, but it doesn't get super technical. Hopefully someone else here has seen it and can explain it better than I am, but I definitely recommend it...if you're streaming Netflix its free so why not?

originally, i was mistakenly thought they would be streaming 1080p, however, that's not true. the best is cable offered 720p.

i'm wireless and it's still pretty sweet, and yea, the selection should be much larger. Seems like it would be cheaper for them to stream all the latest releases to me rather than mail them out...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    originally, i was mistakenly thought they would be streaming 1080p, however, that's not true. the best is cable offered 720p.

i'm wireless and it's still pretty sweet, and yea, the selection should be much larger. Seems like it would be cheaper for them to stream all the latest releases to me rather than mail them out...
    Certainly, but then they would have to raise the price for unlimited streaming to compensate for people who might downgrade from 4, 3, or 2 DVDs at a time to just the 1 with unlimited streaming. It could also be a rights thing, with certain people not wanting their movies streamed, though I have no evidence for that, simply guessing. There isn't really a good reason not to want your DVDs streamed on Netflix, but the same could be said about the Beatles' decisions on streaming and music download services so...

I use my Xbox, but have also used a Tivo HD.

It's great if you can find the movie/shows you want.

I use my PS3 (on a wired connection) as well. The HD selections don't look quite as good at 110" as Blu-Ray, but having instant access makes up for that. The non-HD stuff gets relegated to the 32" tv.

Besides selection and the PS3 requirement to have the Netflix streaming disc in the console, my biggest gripe is the audio. No 5.1 or 7.1 as of yet... just plain old stereo.

A note on content availabilty...

It seems Netflix has struck a deal with Warner Brothers to increase the number of titles availbale for streaming, at the cost of delayed availabilty for disc rentals.

From the LA Times.

The relevant quote: "Netflix agreed to the 28-day window in exchange for improved financial terms and more content for its Internet streaming service."

Quote Originally Posted by murpho View Post
    Yes via the Roku player. Love it. Really good selection of movies
    We got a Roku box for Christmas 2008 and we love it. The movies have been nice, but it has been amazing for catching up on TV (since we only have over-the-air HD and rarely watch it). We have gotten ourselves caught up on (from the beginning) The Office, 30 Rock, Weeds, Grey's Anatomy, and This American Life. I've also been enjoying some "Best of..." SNL lately. I really like flat fee services like this, even if the content is limited. It encourages me to try watching things that I probably would not have otherwise (like "The Visitor" and several documentaries, like "Street Fight").

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I stream on the 360 and I love it! I highly recommend the movie Primer, which is available for the instant que. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but its sort of a mind-blowing kind of movie, sort of sci-fi I guess, but it doesn't get super technical. Hopefully someone else here has seen it and can explain it better than I am, but I definitely recommend it...if you're streaming Netflix its free so why not?
    I added Primer to my queue solely because of this:

http://xkcd.com/657/

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

That's one of my favorite XKCD strips ever. Just brilliant. I also really enjoyed Monday's strip.

A lot of times, I will put on instand watch movies to have on while I'm browsing the net or doing some other non-intensive task. I tried that with Primer about 9 months ago... not a great idea. Even if you're completely paying attention, it's hard to figure out exactly what has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    That's one of my favorite XKCD strips ever. Just brilliant. I also really enjoyed Monday's strip.

A lot of times, I will put on instand watch movies to have on while I'm browsing the net or doing some other non-intensive task. I tried that with Primer about 9 months ago... not a great idea. Even if you're completely paying attention, it's hard to figure out exactly what has happened.
    On my third run of the movie I finally got a solid grasp on what was happening.

And of course, xkcd is great.

YES, YES, YES!!!

We alternate between XBOX Live (best interface), Tivo (most convenient), and PlayOn Media (on Wii downstairs.)
    How do you do it on a Wii? I'm a Luddite and have been doing it through my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    How do you do it on a Wii? I'm a Luddite and have been doing it through my laptop.
    It's about to get a lot easier to stream Netflix on the Wii: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/13/w...orld-rejoices/

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Mr. DA tells me he installed an app from PlayOn Media onto a computer on our home network; then from the Wii Internet channel, navigate to playon.tv; which then connects to the computer-now-media-server.

As Arydolphin points out, its going to get a LOT easier than that.

That is awesome!

Can we get one for Lost?

Mr. DA tells me he installed an app from PlayOn Media onto a computer on our home network; then from the Wii Internet channel, navigate to playon.tv; which then connects to the computer-now-media-server.

As Arydolphin points out, its going to get a LOT easier than that.
    But Netflix on Wii will only do SD, so yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    On my third run of the movie I finally got a solid grasp on what was happening.
    I finally figured it out a couple of days from now.