Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Okay, let's suppose Flocke is bad and Jacob is good. If we filter that through season one, it makes a lot of sense. Why were the "Others," who work for Jacob, making lists of "good ones" and kidnapping those? To protect them from Flocke.

Smokey killed Eko after probing his mind. Was Eko good or not? I'd argue he was good-- he had done a lot of evil over the years, but became a man with big regrets. When he killed the kidnapping Others in what he thought was self-defense, he felt big-time remorse.

There's some things that don't fully dovetail with this theory, like Smokey killing Keamy, but there could be other explanations.
    The thing I wonder is if at some point in time when Ben thought he was taking orders from Jacob, he was actually taking orders from Flocke. I'd need to do a bit of rewatching or searching through Lostpedia to sort it all out, but here are some thoughts:
    -the cabin where the line of ash got broken...was that the same one Locke and Ben went to to see Jacob or a different one?
    -I could see some scenario where Flocke is trapped there and somehow convinces Ben that he is Jacob in order to manipulate him.
    -When Locke first went to the cabin, Jacob called out "help" to him, correct? So maybe it wasn't Jacob, maybe it was trapped Flocke??
    -This might also help with trying to sort out why Ben was allowed to control Smokey and who Smokey chose to kill

Honestly, I have no idea, but it's just something I was wondering about!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    The thing I wonder is if at some point in time when Ben thought he was taking orders from Jacob, he was actually taking orders from Flocke. I'd need to do a bit of rewatching or searching through Lostpedia to sort it all out, but here are some thoughts:
    -the cabin where the line of ash got broken...was that the same one Locke and Ben went to to see Jacob or a different one?
    -I could see some scenario where Flocke is trapped there and somehow convinces Ben that he is Jacob in order to manipulate him.
    -When Locke first went to the cabin, Jacob called out "help" to him, correct? So maybe it wasn't Jacob, maybe it was trapped Flocke??
    -This might also help with trying to sort out why Ben was allowed to control Smokey and who Smokey chose to kill

Honestly, I have no idea, but it's just something I was wondering about!
    The broken line of ash and the fact that Illiana and Brom said that Jacob had not been in the shack in a long time totally rewrites all of our understanding of what has gone on in recent seasons. Ben took Locke to visit smokey when he thought he was visiting Jacob, that much is now clear to me.

I guess that when Hurley saw Christian and Claire together in the shack, he was seeing Claire with smokey. All the times Locke and Ben felt guided by various spirits or whatever, they were being manipulated by smokey. And, obviously, smokey = Flocke = man in black.

I have to question why Richard was not able to see what was going on and stop it. When Ben took Locke to visit the shack, Richard should have been said, "ummmm, where are you going?" And why was Richard even hanging out with The Others and Ben when there appears to have been a whole different community of Others living at The Temple and listening to the Japanese-speaking leader? Strange.

I think the producers have said that we are not going to see any more flashbacks or flashforward this season-- only "flash sideways" which is what they call the alternate timeline. I understand why no flashforward, that would simply not make sense at this point. But, I hope we do get a few flashbacks to see Richard's history and perhaps better explain a bit of what has been going on with The Others over the years.

--Jason "Is it Tuesday yet?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

There are so many twists and turns...

In some ways, I feel like the bomb hit the island like a hammer hits mercury. Can't kill the mercury, but it splatters all over the place, essentially allowing for all sorts of random events that the Lost writers could concoct while drinking margaritas by the pool.

As I think about it, everyone changed after the event, but Lost likes to do that. And some of it was playing with us. For example, James telling Hurley to be careful is the sort of thing old James would say prior to robbing him blind.

Now I'm not convinced the White and Black guys are even different people at all but rather different concepts or something.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    In some ways, I feel like the bomb hit the island like a hammer hits mercury. Can't kill the mercury, but it splatters all over the place...
    Somewhere, someone suggested it's like tossing a big rock in a stream of water. The water moves out of place, around the rock, and then eventually converges.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    ...the Lost writers could concoct while drinking margaritas by the pool.
    I *think* that was Seasons 3&4. But if the tattoos come back into play, we'll know you're right.

Obviously, a lot more questions developed from this episode. But one, in particular, has been nagging at me.

The writers made sure to demonstrate to us that this was not our fathers' Hurley. The "new" Hurley did not feel himselft cursed. Which makes sense, considering the new timeline would not have allowed for him to learn the numbers from his Army friend.

Yet...he still won the lottery.

Are we to understand that he used a different set of lottery numbers this time around?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter the Lab View Post
    Obviously, a lot more questions developed from this episode. But one, in particular, has been nagging at me.

The writers made sure to demonstrate to us that this was not our fathers' Hurley. The "new" Hurley did not feel himselft cursed. Which makes sense, considering the new timeline would not have allowed for him to learn the numbers from his Army friend.

Are we to understand that he used a different set of lottery numbers this time around?
    Good question. I do know in an interview the producers did on Jimmy Kimmel that they said the numbers would be featured once again this season. Specifically they said we will see them more in the next few episodes. My guess is that Hurley will have learned of the numbers in some other way.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter the Lab View Post

Upthread, someone mentioned that the guy that heard the numbers appeared to have heard them significantly pre-'77/pre-bomb.

I have a friend who suggested a possible place the series is going.

The finale will end with Flocke and Hurley, sitting on the beach. Flocke will say "You know, I really want to kill you..."

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I have a friend who suggested a possible place the series is going.

The finale will end with Flocke and Hurley, sitting on the beach. Flocke will say "You know, I really want to kill you..."
    "progress"

I just rewatch Lost and i realized at first Juliet believes that her hitting the bomb doesn't work, but before she dies she knows that it worked. Interesting, i wonder what happened between that time that made her know hitting the bomb had worked.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The broken line of ash and the fact that Illiana and Brom said that Jacob had not been in the shack in a long time totally rewrites all of our understanding of what has gone on in recent seasons.

Where again do we see the ash is broken?
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 02-07-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

At the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by northernduke View Post
    Where again do we see the ash is broken?
    Read more about it on Lostpedia.

--Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I don't think FLocke is good. There's too much sinister in his eyes. Flocke/Man in Black and Jacob/Sayid are about to have an epic battle for the island.
    Is the "resurrected" Sayid really aligned with Jacob? The message Jacob sends in the guitar case said Sayid must live or there would be dangerous consequences if I recall correctly. Sayid died. Could the Man in Black be in control of Sayid's body?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I guess that when Hurley saw Christian and Claire together in the shack, he was seeing Claire with smokey. All the times Locke and Ben felt guided by various spirits or whatever, they were being manipulated by smokey. And, obviously, smokey = Flocke = man in black.
    I wonder what is going on with dead people and the ability of the MIB (or perhaps Jacob) to take on their bodily form. Why did the MIB burn all the bodies in the temple after he killed them? He did burn all the bodies, right? You could think of burning Jacob as an act of vengence or an attempt to make sure he is dead, but why take the time to burn Jacob's body guards?

Since this is such a long thread, sorry in advance, but has the possibility of a third time line been put forth?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Since this is such a long thread, sorry in advance, but has the possibility of a third time line been put forth?
    To follow up on weezie's comment about the length of this thread, can we have a separate thread for each episode?

I don't recall any talk of a third time line. I think more than two would become unmanageable. Also, the two time lines represent the two realities posed by exploding or not exploding the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Also, the two time lines represent the two realities posed by exploding or not exploding the bomb.
    Speaking of which... I bet one of the twists this season is that the LAX timeline is the timeline where the bomb did NOT explode and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Speaking of which... I bet one of the twists this season is that the LAX timeline is the timeline where the bomb did NOT explode and vice versa.
    I really like that. Going into this season I was of the mind that the bomb going off WAS the incident, but it never destroyed anything... the anomaly "sucked up" all the nuclear energy and it actually made the anomaly more potent and led to them having to encase it in concrete and have to release it every 108 minutes... So I always thought that what they were doing trying to disrupt the history they knew would actually cause it.

And I love your point that that's what they'll end up showing, and the line where they get off the plane safely is the one where the bomb didn't blow up. Love it.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Thoughts on Juliet.

I read a comment somewhere, here? Don't remember. Anwyay, it criticized the show for giving Juliet an awesome death scene last season only to bring her back for a weak one this year. My take is this - Juliet had to come back to tell Sawyer 'it worked'. How does she know? She's telling him they should meet for coffee sometime because her conciousness is straddling both timelines. So, weak death scene, but important in getting that detail across. Juliet is alive in the parallel and she knows it. My two cents anyway.