Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    I noticed that we didn't see any of the "Tailies" on the plane this time. No Mr. Echo, no AnaLucia, no Libby, etc.

Interesting note about about the book mkirsch. Thanks for that tidbit.

Yes, I do think the island was sunk when the bomb went off. I believe the pocket of energy was in a sense holding the island up. Maybe this is how the wheel controlled the positioning of the island?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I'm definitely excited about the show but have mixed feelings about the dual timelines. I thing it will introduce more questions that answers. The bomb going off should not affect most of the passengers on the plane. Jack's father would still go to see Claire...Kate would still be on the run... Charley still trying to get the band back together...Sawyer would still seek revenge...etc.. So how and why are Hurley on the plane? If the island is gone the radio transmission never happened and he never learns about the numbers? He has no reason to go to OZ to learn about the curses numbers. Also were are the rest of the Tallies? Strange that Sawyer is in the back this time around.
    But, (and you have to stretch your brain into a pretzel for this to seem remotely logical) the bomb went off at the end of the Dharma era. That means the world started diverging in the 70s/80s, not 2002 or whenever 815 crashed. So by the time people boarded 815, things were already 20 years different.

That could explain all the subtle but not completely game-changing differences. Maybe Dharma broadcast the numbers from somewhere else, etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    But, (and you have to stretch your brain into a pretzel for this to seem remotely logical) the bomb went off at the end of the Dharma era. That means the world started diverging in the 70s/80s, not 2002 or whenever 815 crashed. So by the time people boarded 815, things were already 20 years different.

That could explain all the subtle but not completely game-changing differences. Maybe Dharma broadcast the numbers from somewhere else, etc., etc.
    The bomb didn't go off at the end of the Dharma era. Remember Ben is still just a kid. He's middle age by the time he destroys the Dharma folks. That's around 20 years.

From what I can remember Hurley was the only passenger that had any tangential contact with the island. The only reason he was on the plane was because of the island. I expected every one else to be on the plane but Hurley.

One other difference between the realities...

Unless he was just BS'ing, plane Locke described a wonderful "walkabout" trip to Boone. In the original storyline, he's denied a chance to go on that trip because he's in a wheelchair. Not sure it's significant, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else in this thread. But hey, I totally didn't get that plane Kate was accused of killing someone else this time, either so...

This was just posted on the Lost facebook page. It includes some Q & A with the producers on the first episode.

It also has a link to a video of Kate on America's Most Wanted that was originally shown at Comic-Con.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Unless he was just BS'ing, plane Locke described a wonderful "walkabout" trip to Boone. In the original storyline, he's denied a chance to go on that trip because he's in a wheelchair. Not sure it's significant, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else in this thread. But hey, I totally didn't get that plane Kate was accused of killing someone else this time, either so...
    I think Locke was supposed to be BS'ing.

I too noticed the absence of Libby. I thought it would have been interesting to show the newly confident and lucky Hurley showing no interest in her.

-Jason "I need to go back and check it, but apparently, Sayid's passwort was Iranian, not Iraqi... which would be a HUGE change" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The bomb didn't go off at the end of the Dharma era. Remember Ben is still just a kid. He's middle age by the time he destroys the Dharma folks. That's around 20 years.

From what I can remember Hurley was the only passenger that had any tangential contact with the island. The only reason he was on the plane was because of the island. I expected every one else to be on the plane but Hurley.
    Actually, Ben was a kid when the bomb went off. If you remember, Ben's Dad is the one who shot Sayid as they were looking for him because he had "killed" child Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Actually, Ben was a kid when the bomb went off. If you remember, Ben's Dad is the one who shot Sayid as they were looking for him because he had "killed" child Ben.
    I know he was a kid when the bomb went off. The end of the Dharma era would be decades later when middle age Ben teams up with the Others and gases the Dharma folk. That's why I said the bomb did not go off at the end of the Dharma era.

I know he was a kid when the bomb went off. The end of the Dharma era would be decades later when middle age Ben teams up with the Others and gases the Dharma folk. That's why I said the bomb did not go off at the end of the Dharma era.
    In a way, though, it did. If you are buying the theory that the island is underwater because of the bomb, the Dharma folks died when the bomb went off in 1977, and that was the "end" of the Dharma era or this alternate timeline.

Trippy.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think Locke was supposed to be BS'ing.

I too noticed the absence of Libby. I thought it would have been interesting to show the newly confident and lucky Hurley showing no interest in her.

-Jason "I need to go back and check it, but apparently, Sayid's passwort was Iranian, not Iraqi... which would be a HUGE change" Evans
    I don't think Locke was lying about it. I think he really did go on the walkabout. Remember how furious he was when he was denied the chance to go on the walkabout. He was way too pleasant and calm on the flight and when his knives were lost for him to have been denied in this timeline as well.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I don't think Locke was lying about it. I think he really did go on the walkabout. Remember how furious he was when he was denied the chance to go on the walkabout. He was way too pleasant and calm on the flight and when his knives were lost for him to have been denied in this timeline as well.
    Perhaps he did take his walkabout and became paralyzed during it? Crazy episode. I need to watch again.

It was erroneous for me to refer to this as the end of the Dharma era. (Although, as someone pointed out, it probably WAS the end since the h-bomb went off in the new timeline. )

But the underlying point is still true: the bomb went off long ago relative to flight 815 (I think people are saying '77) , so there was 25 years of changed timeline leading up to the "new" flight 815. Originally, I thought you were saying that it was inconsistent that there could be character changes and I was suggesting why that might not be inconsistent. On second read, I think that's probably not what you meant at all.

Okay, I have a whacked out theory-- is anyone here familiar with quantum theory and wave function collapse?

I'm wondering if this is going to turn out to be some wave collapse situation where some externality will force a collapse of these two realities into one-- with perhaps someone or something on the island filling the role of "observer" which collapses the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    +1.

Locke is many things, but he's not a liar. Granted, LAX Locke might be a liar, but I'm betting he went on walkabout.

+1.

Locke is many things, but he's not a liar. Granted, LAX Locke might be a liar, but I'm betting he went on walkabout.
    I don't know...pre-Island Locke was kind of a weenie, and he did lie to Helen about continuing to stalk his father. If he never lands on the island and doesn't get his legs back and find his island faith, I could see him as a liar. Although to be fair his speech to Jack about where his father really is vs his body is vintage man-of-faith island Locke.

Okay, I have a whacked out theory-- is anyone here familiar with quantum theory and wave function collapse?
    Why yes I am.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Also, I'm going to be very upset if they ascribe this all to the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.
    If they suggest that these are two alternate quantum possibilities that need to be collapsed back to a single wave function, I can live with that. Like I said earlier, if they start going down the road of the many-worlds interpretation, I'll be very disappointed.

On another note -- when FLocke/Man in Black/Smokey said "he wanted to go home" did anyone get a Lucifer vibe from that. At the very least, it seems that perhaps he has been imprisoned on this island and wants to get back to the "real world" where that could potentially be bad for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Perhaps he did take his walkabout and became paralyzed during it? Crazy episode. I need to watch again.
    Well, when talking to Jack he seemed to believe his condition was irreversible, which suggests it had been his condition for some time, and he had been informed of its irreversibility by his doctors.

Agree that it was a crazy episode that is worth rewatching. There were several "What the ...?" moments.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    Instead of trying to Con Hurly, James Ford told him that he should beware of people trying to take advantage of him.