Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lost: The Final Season

Thought I would get a thread going, now that we are less than a month away.

I was inspired by this story in Variety today. The headline says, "Is 'Lost' here to stay? ABC may not give up on franchise so easily."

I was furious and worried that ABC was demanding that the show go on for additional seasons. All the talk that we were building to a conclusion was for nothing. I was furious. But, they are still planning on ending the show. The story is just saying that ABC wants to see if there are ways to build off the final season with other things like comic books, books, games, and even amusement park rides. Whew!

There is also talk of "Lost: The Nent Generation" and compares the show to Star Trek. I am not sure it works in the same way. We'll see what they come up with.

As an aside, I found this part of the story really cool--

For the final season, ABC has kept its marketing campaign close to the vest. Promos and clips have utilized footage from past seasons only -- but that will change a week before "Lost's" Feb. 2 season premiere, as 815 fans give the correct answer to "Lost" trivia online and receive a message in a bottle.

That bottle will include a USB drive that features a clip from the season's first episode. The network is fully expecting that clip to then quickly go viral online.
    --Jason "" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quickly go viral online? They don't need that dorky promotion to accomplish that, just post it on their website and Lost fans will watch.

A "viral" video is something that people watch because it's amusing or intriguing to anyone and everyone. A Lost video isn't "viral", it's just a preview that Lost fans will watch...the method of delivery won't add or subtract viewers.

---

I am curious to see how the story line unfolds this last season. Watching the episodes last season, I found myself drifting to other things as opposed to watching every single frame...I was more interested in the general path of the story than each minute of each episode.

I'm rewatching Season 5 (in Bluray!) in anticipation of the last one. Got thru the first 8 episodes this weekend...

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Definitely amped up for the last season.

Almost guarantee that the clip is a scene in the Los Angeles airport.

My brother-in-law was knocking out Seasons 1&2 over Christmas via Netflix streaming, I watched a bunch of episodes I hadn't seen in awhile. I got a little misty eyed when Charlie appeared.

I forgot how awesome the episode where they get in the hatch was (season 2 premiere I think). Also, some of the fun is missing as he doesn't have an active fan community dissecting each screen capture. I got him recording and playing Walt's out of body messages backwards, but I don't think he'll be researching Egyptian hieroglyphics anytime soon.

For anyone hosting a Lost party in Feb...
    http://maxpictures.com/weblog/2007/0...tiative-needs/

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    My brother-in-law was knocking out Seasons 1&2 over Christmas via Netflix streaming, I watched a bunch of episodes I hadn't seen in awhile. I got a little misty eyed when Charlie appeared.

I forgot how awesome the episode where they get in the hatch was (season 2 premiere I think). Also, some of the fun is missing as he doesn't have an active fan community dissecting each screen capture. I got him recording and playing Walt's out of body messages backwards, but I don't think he'll be researching Egyptian hieroglyphics anytime soon.

For anyone hosting a Lost party in Feb...
    http://maxpictures.com/weblog/2007/0...tiative-needs/
    Nice. I think these are too good NOT to use. Thanks!

A part of me wants ABC to come up with a spin off series because i love lost that much. But at the same time I would want it to be on Lost's level or higher, and the chances of that are very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    A part of me wants ABC to come up with a spin off series because i love lost that much. But at the same time I would want it to be on Lost's level or higher, and the chances of that are very slim.
    Maybe an action adventure show called 'Desmond'? It'd be fantastic, brother.

Charlie could host an American Idol-type show
    Kate: America's Next Top Model-type show
    Locke: Suvivorman
    Jack: Grey's Anatomy/ER/Scrubs
    Hurley: Biggest Loser
    Jin: Iron Chef

Heck, they could make this an entire network.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    Charlie could host an American Idol-type show
    Kate: America's Next Top Model-type show
    Locke: Suvivorman
    Jack: Grey's Anatomy/ER/Scrubs
    Hurley: Biggest Loser
    Jin: Iron Chef

Heck, they could make this an entire network.
    How about Survivor: Lost

Put 'em all up against one another for a million bucks! Wouldn't the alliances be interesting!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

Put 'em all up against one another for a million bucks! Wouldn't the alliances be interesting!
    Sayid wins or maybe Horrace....No way Jack wins, his co-stars probably hate him for being the star of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

Kate would keep on switching Alliances from Sawyer to Jack.

You know Ben would win. Everyone would vote for him without even knowing why they did it.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Did anyone see the 30 minute show on ABC on Saturday afternoon at 4:30 on the coming season? I noticed it while channel surfing and watched it after the football games. Didn't reveal anything we didn't know, but it was fun to watch.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Kate would keep on switching Alliances from Sawyer to Jack.

You know Ben would win. Everyone would vote for him without even knowing why they did it.

-Jason
    They would actually think it's their idea. (referencing Ben to Locke re: Hurley)

Idk about that. Maybe in another lifetime brother

Quickly go viral online? They don't need that dorky promotion to accomplish that, just post it on their website and Lost fans will watch.

A "viral" video is something that people watch because it's amusing or intriguing to anyone and everyone. A Lost video isn't "viral", it's just a preview that Lost fans will watch...the method of delivery won't add or subtract viewers.

---

I am curious to see how the story line unfolds this last season. Watching the episodes last season, I found myself drifting to other things as opposed to watching every single frame...I was more interested in the general path of the story than each minute of each episode.
    I think you might be misunderstanding the meaning and value of viral marketing. None, and I repeat none of the viral videos have been amusing or intriguing to anyone and everyone. They're amusing or intriguing to large demographic but not anyone and everyone. The Lost clip will not only serve that same purpose, but it'll be one cool collector item if Lost is your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I think you might be misunderstanding the meaning and value of viral marketing. None, and I repeat none of the viral videos have been amusing or intriguing to anyone and everyone. They're amusing or intriguing to large demographic but not anyone and everyone. The Lost clip will not only serve that same purpose, but it'll be one cool collector item if Lost is your thing.
    yeah, that's exactly what i was saying. "viral" videos appeal to nearly anyone and nearly everyone (is that better?), or at least a huge group of people with diverse interests.

some random person who has never seen lost isn't going to watch the trailer for something they're 5 years behind on. it's only interesting to the people that are already excited for the last season. thus, it's not "viral"

yeah, that's exactly what i was saying. "viral" videos appeal to nearly anyone and nearly everyone (is that better?), or at least a huge group of people with diverse interests.

some random person who has never seen lost isn't going to watch the trailer for something they're 5 years behind on. it's only interesting to the people that are already excited for the last season. thus, it's not "viral"
    Viral campaigns do not require the mass distribution to the entire world, they can focus on a target demographic (Lost viewers). Videos become viral when one person sends to five, and then each of them sends to four of five, and then each of them sends to four or five people.

Will the video have the same viewing numbers as "Charlie Bit Me" or that little kid all hopped on drugs from after a trip to the dentist? Probably not, but it will still be viral. I think it's a genius idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I think it's a genius idea.
    This is where I disagree.

It's a series with a large following.

All they need to do is stick the video on their website -- most Lost fans will watch it.

There is nothing "viral" about that. It's just like people watching the Avatar movie trailer -- that wasn't "viral", it was just a largely-anticipated event.