WBB Duke vs Wake Forest

Anybody watching the game?

Looks like a very big crowd with good student attendance; if so, a good thing.

If we start off as badly against CT, it will certainly be a long afternoon.

I do not understand why Duke is not starting a center; we look bad and rebound poorly without KT or AV in the game.

Turnovers on inbound passes under our basket are troubling.

On the other hand, we are way ahead at halftime!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post

I do not understand why Duke is not starting a center; we look bad and rebound poorly without KT or AV in the game.

I'm listening, sounds like we are doing well. Wake is actually in the top 20 for scoring defense ahead of Duke. The crowd should be great, I know lots of tickets were sold by kids for a fund raiser. My inside access subscription runs out at the end of this month, I get the audio only. When I renew it, I'll go for the premium since they added the women's games as video options. Hope they do the same next year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I saw some of the first half (with my 4 year old). I'm not sure that there were a lot of Duke students there. Most of the people sitting in the "student section" seemed to consist of young adults, parents, and high school students.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    I saw some of the first half (with my 4 year old). I'm not sure that there were a lot of Duke students there. Most of the people sitting in the "student section" seemed to consist of young adults, parents, and high school students.

Classes don't start until Wednesday, and in my experience the dorms didn't open until Monday before that (tomorrow). Nice that they planned this fundraiser/ticket selling for when the students aren't around, a good way to bring in fans for a conference game!

March 5, 1993.

I was at the game, and I enjoyed the large crowd, especially at the start of the game. There was a large contingent of students in the stands (off towards the side of the stands closest to the band), which was nice to see, but I was disheartened to see many of them leave at halftime after their friends participated in the basketball musical chairs. Apparently, the 35-15 halftime score was not enough to amuse them. Bah.

Anyway, the women played good defense for much of the game, although WFU got some break-downs and open 3-pointers in the second half that made the game much closer than it should have been. The Deacs played consistent defense that seemed to bother us and broke up our flow for much of the game, resulting in a number of turnovers (although we were about at our average for the season, interestingly enough). There were some pretty good individual performances for Duke, the best being Bridgette, she was all over the place. Krystal had some very strong post moves in the game and exerted her will at times, with a strong 4-6 outing. I thought it was interesting that Allison was taking short shots at times and making some of them, she seems to be trying to expand her range, which is definitely a good thing.

Overall, this was a very sloppy, very slow game, but a good win that hopefully we can improve upon.
    Last edited by MHTorringjan; 01-11-2010 at 10:12 AM.

So, the starting assignment is likely given based on performance in practice, as well as what Coach P wants to bring to the floor at the start of the game. While KT and AV are skilled inside players, KT isn't as fast as some of the girls who did start, and she doesn't have the on-the-ball defense that someone like Bridgette has. Although, arguably, in-game, KT and AV have been out-performing Joy of late, she does have experience and contributes things that don't show up on the stat sheet.

It's also important to note that despite the lack of starting assignment, KT and AV do still get their minutes, Krystal had 24 and Allison had 14. Also, the rebounding does get done pretty well, according to the stat sheet (we out-rebounded them 52-30 in the game, they're just so tiny!), considering Bridgette led the team in rebounds in yesterday's game and KT and AV combined for 12 of the 52.

Overall, I agree with you that I'd like to see the big girls starting, and hopefully, they'll earn the spot back soon, but I also trust Coach P to use her tools to do what she wants. ;-)

The Strength and Conditioning Coach

is doing a great job. Take a look at this photo from the WFU game:

http://www.tcpalm.com/photos/galleri...10-2010/36438/

Quote Originally Posted by MHTorringjan View Post
    It's also important to note that despite the lack of starting assignment, KT and AV do still get their minutes, Krystal had 24 and Allison had 14. Also, the rebounding does get done pretty well, according to the stat sheet (we out-rebounded them 52-30 in the game, they're just so tiny!), considering Bridgette led the team in rebounds in yesterday's game and KT and AV combined for 12 of the 52.

Overall, I agree with you that I'd like to see the big girls starting, and hopefully, they'll earn the spot back soon, but I also trust Coach P to use her tools to do what she wants. ;-)
    We are going to play CT, UNC (twice), and Md for sure. We have to have a big at the 5; at least to defend and rebound. KT and AV should get a minimum of 45 minutes combined; they need to be ready for the tough assignments down the road.

KJ is a demon on defense and always bottles up the opposing point guard and, IMO, should start. JT and BM have consistently been our best players over the past two or three weeks and should start. I also believe KC deserves to start. We don't give up much speed using those 4 plus a big.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    !
    Goduke has the reasoning behind it...
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=204867286
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."