Bob Green

Two reasons:

1) Not attacking the press consistently
    2) Missing wide open shot after wide open shot

There you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    2) Missing wide open shot after wide open shot

There you have it.
    #1 reason why we lose when to teams we shouldn't...is the resons why its risky to build teams so built off the three
    April 1

looks like one *big* difference was FT's... GT was 22 of 28... Duke only 9 of 14...

Loose balls

Tech beat us to all the loose balls in the 2nd half. That was as much of a problem as our bad shooting

Tough to win when two weapons are misfiring... with both Nolan and Kyle struggling, and the tough tough D from GTech, that would have been very, very hard to win.

Nice to see Mason playing well, he is clearly improving with each game. Glad to see Dre get some minutes early; would love to see him hit a few of those threes.

Tough game. GTech seems like the type of team which has sunk us in the post season a few times over the last four or five years... athletic, long, strong... I am sorry we couldn't close them out.

IMO, the main problem that did us in today was the maddening inability to corral loose balls and rebounds. Time and again, GT players outhustled, or outpositioned, or outmuscled our players for the ball. If an equal number of those contested possessions go to Duke instead of GT, that alone would probably represent at least a 6-8 point swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    IMO, the main problem that did us in today was the maddening inability to corral loose balls and rebounds. Time and again, GT players outhustled, or outpositioned, or outmuscled our players for the ball. If an equal number of those contested possessions go to Duke instead of GT, that alone would probably represent at least a 6-8 point swing.
    GT is smaller than us but also stronger. I think that's a big part of it. Unfortunately, I don't think that factor will change much this year. But I think we can do a better job of boxing out and also be a bit less tentative. This was our first conference road game and I think that showed. Scheyer and, surprisingly, Mason Plumlee were the only guys who really looked comfortable out there, to me, although in Kyle's case I think it's more about being disoriented than timid/intimidated.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. A lot of what happens with loose balls ends up being a random result. In fact, I think the reason Duke was in this was precisely because Duke played hard. I thought we were outrebounded in the first half, for instance, when in fact Duke was up 20-12 in boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. A lot of what happens with loose balls ends up being a random result. In fact, I think the reason Duke was in this was precisely because Duke played hard. I thought we were outrebounded in the first half, for instance, when in fact Duke was up 20-12 in boards.
    Yes and No. Certainly there is some randomness to loose balls. But overall I strongly feel GT wanted this one more and played like it. I'm not one of these guys that dismisses emotion, especially on the college level. GT was ramped up for this game and they did out-hustle us for most of the game, IMHO.

Suprised? Cmon

Hats off to Tech and Shumpert/point guard; he/they showed alot of maturity over a years time. Last year, they would've found some way to cough the ball up into a loss. Their team deserves some real credit right about now. The outcome of this game wasn't a surprise to me. Tech was ranked 17th, loaded with talent, long, strong, quick and playing at home. What it does spell is: we will continue to struggle season after season without more quickness, strength, aggressiveness and toughness. I like what I saw out of Mase and Miles; the two play with great energy and intensity. Clearly Mase' coming out party.

I too believe Mase needs to be given the ball like Hurley had it given to him in his freshmen season. The kid needs to maximize his ability while the spotlight is his for the taking. Miles, I believe, feeds off of him as well. Zoubs and Lance weren't that significant in todays game; but hey that happens. Nolan, I thought played moderate to decent, percentages and stats aside. He had some good drives, a couple decent shots, but what I liked most from him was his assertiveness and his ability to finish against tough defense. (Good sign. Last year he would wilt under that kind of pressure. Also a confidence builder for him)

Kyle... Not sure I have any answers for him right now. All I can say is: A big man coach. Jon had another superb performance; even if he did have bad shot selection the last couple trips down. Without his play we wouldn't have even been in the game. He is turning out to be a solid player. I believe the scouts will seriously look at this guy. I still want more of an above the rim presence from him if possible; as this will definitely catipult his game to another level. Again, no surprise. When teams who are more athletic than we are, play with their heads and their physicality, they have a good chance at beating us. As for us; we'll get right back in the thick of things. We'll come to play for the next game; hopefully we get better and better.

Last: Dre had a decent showing I thought. He looked looser out there. Kelly: I don't know how K will fit him in; especially in games like today's. We'll be back.

3 reasons:
    1) GT too physical in this one
    2) Poor 3 point shooting
    3) Singler was awful

If Singler had come to play, we do not lose.

0-2 in true road games is slightly concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    #1 reason why we lose when to teams we shouldn't...is the resons why its risky to build teams so built off the three

Obviously we are not built off the three this year. We got a lot of open threes this game and missed most of them. The statistic will also be inflated since we were forced to throw up a lot of threes in the last minute. What would you have us do as a top 10 three point shooting team in the nation with wide open threes... pull it back out? We just couldn't hit. It happens.

Obviously we are not built off the three this year. We got a lot of open threes this game and missed most of them. The statistic will also be inflated since we were forced to throw up a lot of threes in the last minute. What would you have us do as a top 10 three point shooting team in the nation with wide open threes... pull it back out? We just couldn't hit. It happens.
    How can you say that we aren't built off of the three right now. We we're shooting 42-45% of our FG's from three even before the last minute. That number didn't change much throughout. It's even a bigger problem because we did it against a team that was daring us to take it inside with the half court pressure. If they had played a zone the entire game, I could understand it. But with as well as Mason was playing, we could have dribbled the ball inside much more to get easy looks for him.

Kyle needed to try and get to the bucket aggressively. If that meant getting rejected a few times, so be it, but he also would have gotten some fouls and some chanced for layups and assists. He seemed content to back off of double teams and settle for a jump pass and made no efforts to dribble out of it. This was a pretty good game if you want kyle back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    How can you say that we aren't built off of the three right now. We we're shooting 42-45% of our FG's from three even before the last minute. That number didn't change much throughout. It's even a bigger problem because we did it against a team that was daring us to take it inside with the half court pressure. If they had played a zone the entire game, I could understand it. But with as well as Mason was playing, we could have dribbled the ball inside much more to get easy looks for him.

Kyle needed to try and get to the bucket aggressively. If that meant getting rejected a few times, so be it, but he also would have gotten some fouls and some chanced for layups and assists. He seemed content to back off of double teams and settle for a jump pass and made no efforts to dribble out of it. This was a pretty good game if you want kyle back next year.
    Did you look at the numbers? Yah, we shot a lot of threes today but that is one game. We are not built on making threes. If we are, then half of the NCAA is. Do you understand that?

Did you look at the numbers? Yah, we shot a lot of threes today but that is one game. We are not built on making threes. If we are, then half of the NCAA is. Do you understand that?
    Being in the middle of the NCAA is fine if your a mid major team, But we are second among ACC teams and pretty high among all major conference teams. This one game is pretty important, because its the first time we saw a high pressure half court defense and a close game throughout. It's easy to not shoot threes when your up by 20.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Being in the middle of the NCAA is fine if your a mid major team, But we are second among ACC teams and pretty high among all major conference teams. This one game is pretty important, because its the first time we saw a high pressure half court defense and a close game throughout. It's easy to not shoot threes when your up by 20.
    So what is you suggestion? Pass up the wide-open threes we got (and make no mistake -- most were wide open) and drive into a clogged up lane? That makes sense?

alternate theory

My wife suggested that today was not a good day to be wearing blue.

UConn lost

Ky is struggling

So we need to retire the blue road jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    My wife suggested that today was not a good day to be wearing blue.

UConn lost

Ky is struggling

So we need to retire the blue road jerseys.
    I was unhappy losing wearing our Duke blues. Blue having been jinxed, we may be seeing all black all seaon. And I really like Duke blue.

This game doesn't bother me at all, other than the fact that we haven't won a game on another team's homecourt yet. Singler does need to turn it up a few notches, but I am confident he will. Scheyer was carrying way too much weight on his shoulders today and forced several shots. We need more balance in the offense going forward.