Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke at Georgia Tech Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Duke's first ACC road game tips off in less than 36 hours at Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets have a ton of talent but certainly cannot be described as consistent. However, I'm sure they will be hyped for the Blue Devils. Playing against Gani Lawal, Derrick Favors and Zack Peacock, will be a test for our big men upfront. It is time to start up the game discussion!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke's first ACC road game tips off in less than 36 hours at Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets have a ton of talent but certainly cannot be described as consistent. However, I'm sure they will be hyped for the Blue Devils. Playing against Gani Lawal, Derrick Favors and Zack Peacock, will be a test for our big men upfront. It is time to start up the game discussion!
    Another very good test for our frontcourt (they have certainly been passing so far.) I hope our seniors (Z and Lance) continue to lead defensively and Mason and Miles continue to improve defensively. I look forward to Mason building on his last game as well and continuing to play with confidence. I expect our perimeter players to dominate. This is also a good chance for the team to show it can play well in a hostile environment and get an ACC win on the road. Go Duke!

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I think a big key for this game is discipline. Duke plays a very disciplined game of basketball and GT doesn't. A contrast in style so to speak.

IS GT's backcourt so bad that the frontcourt is knocked down a notch in effectiveness?

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the frontcourt battle.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    IS GT's backcourt so bad that the frontcourt is knocked down a notch in effectiveness?

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the frontcourt battle.
    Their backcourt is pretty weak. They lost their best guard (Clinch), and the other two key players (Shumpert and Miller) seem to have regressed a bit this year. Udofia and Oliver are okay but not that great. So I guess they've replaced talent with depth.

And it should be noted that the frontcourt, while improved, may not be quite as drastically improved as some may think. They add Favors (who is an awesome talent) and have improved versions of Peacock and Lawal, but they lost Aminu who was a 12 and 8 guy last year for them.

The team is somewhat similar to UNC in that they have 2-3 really good big men but BIG questions with their backcourt. Their frontcourt is much more productive than ours - probably one of the two best in the ACC right now along with UNC in terms of having multiple top-end performers. But our backcourt is much much better than theirs.

They'll probably play a very physical game as Hewitt often prescribes. If we can handle the emotion and physicality they're sure to bring, then we should beat them pretty comfortably. After all, they have lost to Dayton, FSU, and @Georgia (the first two are solid but not great teams, the third is bad). But Tech has a way of "uglying" up the game enough to keep it close and/or win.

just an fyi for any duke fans going to the game, the Duke Club of Atlanta is meeting at Marlows Tavern on West Peachtree (at 8th Stree) starting around noon to watch the UConn game, have some food, and then head over to the game.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

While GT has been very inconsistent this year, you can count on them getting up for this one. With a good defensive effort from the frontcourt, Duke should be able to weather the storm.

Encouraging play by MP1--he's learning

Has anyone else noticed Miles' development defensively the last two games? I watched him play solid defense on Booker in the Clemson game, although he allowed Booker to turn left across the lane several times to get short shots. In the ISU game, however, we saw Brackens try the same move, but MP1 had learned from the prior game, and he cut off the lane and forced Brackens to take a tough shot, which he missed. He's still a work in progress, and prone to a silly foul from time to time, but I'm encouraged by what I see.

I think a good basketball team has to have the option to throw the ball inside to a post man who can make a move and be a credible scoring threat. Doesn't have to be double figure scoring in the post, but there has to be that credible inside option, otherwise the team is completely at the mercy of the outside shooting gods, who have this nasty habit of reminding us of our frailty, at least once in 6 games. Lack of a credible inside threat also allows teams to focus on our big 3, which makes their lives much harder. It's up to either/both of the MPs to become that credible post threat. I am really looking forward to seeing the MPs develop over the next couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    just an fyi for any duke fans going to the game, the Duke Club of Atlanta is meeting at Marlows Tavern on West Peachtree (at 8th Stree) starting around noon to watch the UConn game, have some food, and then head over to the game.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to the game tomorrow; floor seats, center court. Cannot wait.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed Miles' development defensively the last two games? I watched him play solid defense on Booker in the Clemson game, although he allowed Booker to turn left across the lane several times to get short shots. In the ISU game, however, we saw Brackens try the same move, but MP1 had learned from the prior game, and he cut off the lane and forced Brackens to take a tough shot, which he missed. He's still a work in progress, and prone to a silly foul from time to time, but I'm encouraged by what I see.
    I have noticed this and suspect it is a key for late-season success (future years, as well). Excellent, expeditious work by Miles and Wojo.

Huge game for the Devils.

Front-page article did a great job of breaking down the X's and O's, and highlighting the great amount of talent GT displays.

While GT certainly possesses a great deal of talent, Duke will counter with experience (as well as talent). We start 4 upper-classmen who have all been through these battles and will not get rattled by the atmosphere.

That will be the difference.

Is this one of the three most important games of the regular season?

Conference road game against a team picked to be near the top of the conference. Tech has lots of talent, and this is a good measure of our front court.

Other than the unc games, is there a bigger game this season?

Once again

1 point game, 3 minutes left, uconn/georgetown... How much of the first half of Duke/Tech will we miss?

Quote Originally Posted by dairedevil View Post
    1 point game, 3 minutes left, uconn/georgetown... How much of the first half of Duke/Tech will we miss?
    it's gonna be tight...hopefully it stays 1 pt lead back and forth so no fouling.

great ending...given that it's 2 sloppy teams.
    Last edited by YourLandlord; 01-09-2010 at 01:57 PM.

http://www.justin.tv/jamaal305#r=E2IDm3g if anyone needs it.

Miles + Jon show so far.

Edit: Nice allyoop dunk by Mason from Jon. Georgia Tech is being forced to take a lot of tough jumpers.

That little post move from Miles is exactly what I've been hoping he'd do all season. Nothing crazy, just use your size and athleticism to bump the defender and get a clean look. Nice touch, too.

We need to handle this size better. Especially for my Duke -7.5 to hold up.

We need to attack a little more. I think if we push the pace on O, they will foul us. We are getting into the lane nicely though.

A field goal on O or no TO/foul on D would be nice...

Edit: Singler 3, Dawkins dunk - that'll do... for now =)