Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Development

I just hope he develops beyond being a three-point shooter. I hope he doesn't get recruited over and lost in the shuffle. He did forfeit his senior year to play for this years team. The kid is also probably going through alot of emotional turmoil and stress at this time as well. If you are a spiritual person; I would encourage you to pray for him during these times right now in his young life. He needs as much support as he can get; I'm sure those were the sentiments of Oliver Purnell the other night after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by 91_92_01 View Post
    I, for one, trust Coach K to manage his player's minutes. I believe that, if Coach decides not to play Andre for as many minutes as some of you would like, that there is a good reason, and it is likely in the best interest of the team. Just because we are not privy to all the reasons why Coach K makes his decisions, does not mean that those reasons don't exist.
    Are you implying that K knows how to coach this team better than we do!??!

How dare you!!!

-Jason "fretting about minutes is one of this board's favorite meaningless pasttimes" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I hope he doesn't get recruited over and lost in the shuffle.
    I don't think this is a concern, at all. Andre had the potential to emerge as a top 10 recruit for 2010. In fact, ESPN had him checked in at number 10 before he became part of the class of 2009. He is an ELITE shooter with few peers. He's got explosive hops, too, and as his ball handling skills improve, he will be able to attack the basket more effectively and become an even better scorer. Yes, Curry is also an excellent shooter, but there's plenty of room in the backcourt for both of them. Next year we'll see Nolan, Andre, Kyrie, and Curry at the guard spots with Thornton there, as well. The year after (assuming no early entrants), We'll lose Nolan from the guard rotation and replace him with a freshman (Austin Rivers?), which, again, will leave plenty of room for Andre. Plus, he'll be getting better and better this whole time. I just don't see any scenario in which Andre is recruited "over."

I think we should cut Andre and the coaching staff some slack for now... Andre went through a tremendous emotional period that most of us cannot really fathom. Accelerated HS graduation, last minute addition to a college BB team, loss of a sister, major injury to his mom, Christmas holidays with obviously one less family member, late/deferred freshman *first* semester finals... if I recall, we didn't even know if Andre would be back for this season. I truly believe Coach K and the staff are intimately involved with Andre and his situation, and are bring him along as best as circumstances allow. Just because he came back a week or so after the tragedy doesn't mean that everything is OK. I trust that he'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Are you implying that K knows how to coach this team better than we do!??!

How dare you!!!

-Jason "fretting about minutes is one of this board's favorite meaningless pasttimes" Evans
    Now now... I would hardly say meaningless. Players want to play, and many players who are not playing have been known to transfer (not specifically at Duke, but overall) and we've had players transfer in the past who have mentioned wanting to play as at least part of the reason... then, when you put on top of that the idea that Duke fans have been dealing with recently (perpetuated by the national media and other fan bases) about huge minutes for starters contributing to failing legs in March...

I am not saying this will in any way, shape, or form be the case for Dre, but playing time for a bench player is certainly an issue about which it is understandable that the Duke fan base is thinking about.

Give Dre and K a little time...

Hello Everyone,

First time poster, Long time reader, and HUGE Duke fan here. I've been reading a lot of your posts on this situation and figured I'd give my input. I agree with some of the others who say just let this situation play out. I think the big year for Dre will be next year. As much as we need him this year, (and I do think he can still contribute a great bit) I believe that he still has a lot of developing to do. He came early because he thought he could help but before he found out Elliot was transferring he was headed for an extra year of HS ball for more development. So he's a work in progress. Not to mention his family matters that just took place. Which is why I think K is handling this situation as such.

I think this team is playing great right now, so lets focus on what things we are doing great right now continue to do them, continue to win and if Dre can turn what has been a productive season from him so far into a GREAT season then that's a bonus. But give Dre and K a little time

Emotional Stress

You know losing a love one can have lingering effects for an uncertain duration. Anyone who has lost a loved one knows that long after the homegoing services things can just hit you, your mind can wander or you may shut down alltogether. Dealing with emotional issues, particularly ones in which a love one is lost, can/will affect your performance on the job, socially and/ or athletically. Dawkins is a very young man and he is dealing with a combination of things. I think the key for Dawkins is for him to know that he has the support of his teammates, coaches and fans. Certain things can hit you fast particularly when you are trying to be strong in the "public eye". The time a person needs the most support is after the fact, long after everybody is gone, and you are alone perhaps a month or so after the event...that's when support is needed the most.

Good DBR

I'm just glad we recognize the humanity of these 17,18,19 and 20 year old young men. Good to know the board has a heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    If you are a spiritual person; I would encourage you to pray for him during these times right now in his young life. He needs as much support as he can get; I'm sure those were the sentiments of Oliver Purnell the other night after the game.
    Wildcat, I thought the same thing when Coach Purnell spoke to him. And yes we should pray for him. All of us need prayer. Go Duke!