Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone else concerned with Dawkins' lack of playing time

Big duke balls said it best

"What am I missing? The last time I checked, he was still hitting 47% of his shots, including over 45% of his three pointers. He is also a 87% shooter from the free throw line? Why is Coach K not playing our only backup guard?"

We are going to need Dawkins to being playing well down the stretch of our schedule to have a chance at going deep in the NCAA tourne.

Just trying to get some other opinions...

My guess is that he hasn't been sharp in practice recently, which is completely understandable.

On top of the normal adjustment to college life for a freshman, he's lost his sister, missed his first final exams of his college career and has probably had to make up those exams over the past week.

I love watching him play so I hope he gets it together soon.

I want you guys who are worried about Dre's PT to look at something real quick:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/...?playerId=46255

3 games out of 14 he's gotten under 17 minutes. He's gonna play. This kid is good and K knows it.

He also couldn't take his exams before the break and more than likely spent a large portion of his holiday break NOT concerned with school. I'm sure Kenny King and the rest of his advisers have given him ample time to recover from the tragedy he just suffered and he is probably in the midst of exams. Quite possibly, he didn't practice much at all before the Clemson game and was not prepared whatsoever for the press he was to face. That game didn't really feel comfortable to me at all until Andre went in.

Tonight's game was a showcase for Jon Scheyer, and it seemed like many, many plays were run for him(iso's), etc. Dawkins will get his time to shine. He'll play. Our perimeter guys HAVE to play because we're so thin at that position. We're going to see a lot of Nolan, Jon, and Kyle all year long so if it bothers you, you're in for a long season. Andre will play not much more or less than many other highly regarded freshman out there. He's averaging 18 mpg. Any more and a lot of people would be saying he's playing too many.
    Last edited by airowe; 01-07-2010 at 08:10 AM.

To answer the question leading this thread... NO.

Fretting about how many minutes K is giving to the bench... where have I heard that before?

--Jason "sigh" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I want you guys who are worried about Dre's PT to look at something real quick:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/...?playerId=46255

3 games out of 14 he's gotten under 17 minutes. He's gonna play. This kid is good and K knows it.

He also couldn't take his exams before the break and more than likely spent a large portion of his holiday break NOT concerned with school. I'm sure Kenny King and the rest of his advisers have given him ample time to recover from the tragedy he just suffered and he is probably in the midst of exams. Quite possibly, he didn't practice much at all before the Clemson game and was not prepared whatsoever for the press he was to face. That game didn't really feel comfortable to me at all until Andre went in.

Tonight's game was a showcase for Jon Scheyer, and it seemed like many, many plays were run for him(iso's), etc. Dawkins will get his time to shine. He'll play. Our perimeter guys HAVE to play because we're so thin at that position. We're going to see a lot of Nolan, Jon, and Kyle all year long so if it bothers you, you're in for a long season. Andre will play not much more or less than many other highly regarded freshman out there. He's averaging 18 mpg. Any more and a lot of people would be saying he's playing too many.
    I hope your right in that Dre's minutes will soon return now that he has his exams behind him. I'm not one that think he should still be playing 20 minutes a game during conference play, but 10-12 minutes a game giving guys a rest and maybe getting a couple of buckets would really help.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Well, it's certainly something to keep an eye on, but I don't think it's a cause for alarm yet. Now, if the trend continues well into the ACC season, there might be cause for concern. But I suspect that, within the next few games, we'll see Dawkins get back into the 15-20 minutes per game range.

Agreed. I would be worried if he continues to only get 5 or 6 minutes a game. Let's see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I hope your right in that Dre's minutes will soon return now that he has his exams behind him. I'm not one that think he should still be playing 20 minutes a game during conference play, but 10-12 minutes a game giving guys a rest and maybe getting a couple of buckets would really help.
    There's really no reason to think I'm wrong. All three of the games in which Andre played less than 17 mpg (more than you suggest he should get) have come after the death of his sister and during the period in which he would be making up for lost time.

I agree that I think hopefully this is a short term occurrence, but he and mason (to me) are going to need to become consistent contributors as the season progresses. K has been known to limit freshman's minutes as the ACC schedule starts...

You guys crowing about Dre's minutes are ridiculous and disturbingly unobservant. Dre has played significant minutes ALL SEASON and K literally can't take away his minutes since we only have 4 TOTAL scholarship guards.

Please Please Please people... think about it.

Worried?

Not at all.

The kid has been through a tremendous amount of turmoil over the past month. K is a master at reading people and understanding when to push and when to not. I suspect more than anything, K understands that the kid has enough pressure on him and is working him back in as he processes what has happened to him. Remember, he is basically a high schooler still!

Think of it this way, if he is getting prime minutes and is not performing at the level he was earlier, it could very well impact him psychologically and do damage. By letting him know that there is no pressure and that the team will do well without him will let him relax and ease back into the rotation. Of course this is just my opinion, I have no inside knowledge, except I do know that K is one of the best at reading his players and putting them in positions to succeed. Unlike our friend down the road, K will not throw Dre under the bus! (Sorry, I had said something nice about Roy in another post, and I had to get that taste out of my mouth)!

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    I agree that I think hopefully this is a short term occurrence, but he and mason (to me) are going to need to become consistent contributors as the season progresses. K has been known to limit freshman's minutes as the ACC schedule starts...
    I, for one, trust Coach K to manage his player's minutes. I believe that, if Coach decides not to play Andre for as many minutes as some of you would like, that there is a good reason, and it is likely in the best interest of the team. Just because we are not privy to all the reasons why Coach K makes his decisions, does not mean that those reasons don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    You guys crowing about Dre's minutes are ridiculous and disturbingly unobservant. Dre has played significant minutes ALL SEASON and K literally can't take away his minutes since we only have 4 TOTAL scholarship guards.

Please Please Please people... think about it.
    All 3 of the games in which Andre has played under 17 mpg have been since his sister's death and during the Holiday/makeup exam period. He's still averaging right at 18 mpg. Not too shabby for a Freshman playing behind our 3 best players. Show me another Freshman in the country playing behind 3 first or second team All-Conference players who is averaging more minutes than Andre.

I've also heard he's been sick the past week

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Not at all.

The kid has been through a tremendous amount of turmoil over the past month. K is a master at reading people and understanding when to push and when to not. I suspect more than anything, K understands that the kid has enough pressure on him and is working him back in as he processes what has happened to him. Remember, he is basically a high schooler still!

Think of it this way, if he is getting prime minutes and is not performing at the level he was earlier, it could very well impact him psychologically and do damage. By letting him know that there is no pressure and that the team will do well without him will let him relax and ease back into the rotation. Of course this is just my opinion, I have no inside knowledge, except I do know that K is one of the best at reading his players and putting them in positions to succeed. Unlike our friend down the road, K will not throw Dre under the bus! (Sorry, I had said something nice about Roy in another post, and I had to get that taste out of my mouth)!
    My sentiments exactly. Dre hasn't seemed as sharp as of late and I believe Coach K is protecting him and allowing him to continue to develop at his own pace and absorb all that has happened. That said, the way Jon and Nolan are playing, the minutes are going to be fewer than earlier in the season, but I'm sure K will work him back in as game situations allow.

On the topic of freshman, Andre Dawkins was ranked #5 by John Gasaway among his Top 25 Freshmen in the nation.

Only 2 other ACC players made it, Derrick Favors (#7) and Miami's Reggie Johnson (#21).

Dawkins will be fine, and Duke will absolutely need him during conference play.

I would assume that he had to study for and then take finals within the past two weeks (while the team probably had a full practice schedule). I wouldn't be surprised if K excused him from some practices during all this as well, to make sure he successfully completes his finals.
    You have to admire what this kid has been through. This entire last 8 months for him has been quite a chore.
    He seems to have the strength of character to get it done.
    No doubt in a few weeks with the stress of finals gone and a little bit more time to heal from the tragedy, he will be back to where K wants him to be.

He and Scheyer are my favorite players on this years team. I would hope to see him more on the court this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    He and Scheyer are my favorite players on this years team. I would hope to see him more on the court this year.
    He's playing almost 18 mpg even with 3 out of the last 4 under 10.

Reports are starting to surface he's been under the weather the last week or so as well. This ties in with his lack of PT over that time and makes perfect sense. No doubt he's been going through a whole lot mentally lately, which always has an effect on my physical health.

Quote Originally Posted by 91_92_01 View Post
    I, for one, trust Coach K to manage his player's minutes. I believe that, if Coach decides not to play Andre for as many minutes as some of you would like, that there is a good reason, and it is likely in the best interest of the team. Just because we are not privy to all the reasons why Coach K makes his decisions, does not mean that those reasons don't exist.
    Very good point