Elliot Williams with kind words for Duke

Linky.

And quotes:

“It wasn’t a basketball reason,’’ Williams said of his decision to transfer. “As far as basketball and school itself, Duke was awesome. That was my dream school. When my mother had gotten sick, I knew I had to go home.’’

“Coach K raved about Elliot and he supported his decision,’’ Pastner said. “Elliot’s a wonderful young man. He only came to Memphis because of an unfortunate situation. He loved Duke and he loved Coach K, (but) being at home has been good for him. He’s been close to his family."
    This may hopefully begin to dispel the UNC-borne rumor that Elliot Williams' story was a ruse, and that he actually hated Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Linky.

And quotes:

This may hopefully begin to dispel the UNC-borne rumor that Elliot Williams' story was a ruse, and that he actually hated Duke.
    It'll take a signed affidavit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jesus_hurley View Post
    It'll take a signed affidavit for that.
    Pretty sure they'd say it was forged somehow.

Quote:

Cleared by the NCAA to play at Memphis this season, Williams also sought permission from Pastner to live with his parents at home in Hickory Hill -- the only home Williams has ever known. His mother, a longtime employee at FedEx, continues to battle a serious illness that the family has chosen not to disclose.

and

Quote:

"A lot of times, I'll come home and he'll be sitting there watching TV with his mom with his head in her lap," Mexwayne Williams said. "Those are the kinds of things that have made it worth the effort to get him to come home. I see a lot of personal time with them. They sit alone and talk. All the things that I thought would happen are happening. He's enjoying that time, and so is she. Things like that make you feel better."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...py-homecoming/

It never surprised me that haters made accusations, but after reading some of the articles we have, like these two, I always wondered how Dukies could repeat the blather.

Makes one hope...

that things will work out for his mom even if the prognosis is dim and, that somehow Coach K and Coach Pastner could work out a home and home series next year in which the Duke team, staff and fans could show their appreciation and sympathy to EWill assuming he was not to be NBA bound after this year.

Reading these two articles just made my day...I really feel great about the situation now. I caught a lot of grief from opposing fans, and have to admit I thought there might be some other issue going on. Knowing that basically everything initially reported was true (how rare) re-affirms what a great program and leader we have.

Also knowing that Elliott is getting to spend some serious quality time with his mother who has an illness tells me that he 'gets it.' Basketball will be there for him, he made the right choice to be there for his mom.

Gotta love the fact K raved about him, and it seemed like there was mutual respect and understanding all around. Sorry 'Holes and all you haters...not this time...

I saw Elliot and his dad at a fundraiser a few weeks ago at Elliot's old high school.

That whole family is the best. He will always be a member of the Duke family in my heart!

Good luck, Mike. There has been at least one article from last summer where Elliot spoke candidly about why he had to leave Duke, and that didn't slow down the number of false accusations about Williams leaving because of playing time, not liking Coach K, or whatever stupid reason a Duke hater invented in his mind.

This article is from June 25. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...liams-memphis/

The Duke staff and the fans have given me and my whole family a lot of support. To be totally honest with you, if this illness wouldn't have happened, I'd still be at Duke.
    It's rough because I'm real close to my mom ... and it's real tough leaving one of my dreams. My dream was to play at Duke and be a part of coach (Mike) Krzyzewski's family. The coaching staff and the fans have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    that things will work out for his mom even if the prognosis is dim and, that somehow Coach K and Coach Pastner could work out a home and home series next year in which the Duke team, staff and fans could show their appreciation and sympathy to EWill assuming he was not to be NBA bound after this year.
    This would be great, both to play a great Memphis team as well as to show EWill our support and welcome him back to his 2nd home.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA