USC bans itself from the NCAA Tournament

USC is punishing the current team for the nasty stuff done under the previous coach and involving a kid no longer on campus.

The university’s investigation found rules were violated during OJ Mayo’s one season with the Trojans in 2007-08 under former coach Tim Floyd.

The sanctions announced Sunday call for a one-year ban on postseason play following the current regular season, including the Pac-10 Conference tournament...
    While it seems unfair and does nothing to penalize Mayo or Floyd, when the program makes a mistake, the program pays.

--Jason "USC was a strong contender to make the Dance this year, so this is a REAL PENALTY" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    USC is punishing the current team for the nasty stuff done under the previous coach and involving a kid no longer on campus.

While it seems unfair and does nothing to penalize Mayo or Floyd, when the program makes a mistake, the program pays.

--Jason "USC was a strong contender to make the Dance this year, so this is a REAL PENALTY" Evans
    Part of me wonders if they're trying to draw the eyes away from the football program...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    But as you point out, it does nothing to really penalize the true offenders: Mayo and Floyd, though Floyd is likely done in college after this last episode, regardless of any sanctions. The way the NCAA penalizes on these issues is probably the thing I hate the most about the organization; see Calipari, John. [/waste of breath]

I agree...Gary Parrish sums it up best:

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports...71764/19326542

Seriously, they are unfairly punishing their own innocent players to help their football team...in a year where the football team had a down year and the bball team looked terrific.

What a joke.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Part of me wonders if they're trying to draw the eyes away from the football program...
    That's my take. Still plenty of things going back to Reggie Bush days that are open files for the NCAA. Got to be some fear of a general finding of "lack of institutional control" and serious penalties.

Some of our left-coast posters are probably better informed on these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Nah, it's probably just that all the good internal investigators were working the Mayo case. Now that that's wrapped up, I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of the football shenanigans. Should happen any day now.

And recruiting Mayo seemed like such a good idea at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    And recruiting Mayo seemed like such a good idea at the time.
    He says with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

Some thoughts on this.

Is there any realistic way to punish the guilty? Put a clause in coaches contracts that if program is caught in a violation then they forfeit past salary? or can not coach a college team for a period of time? Get player to pay a fine?

Alex Stephenson transferred from UNC to USC. No ring last year, no tourney this year.

SoCal

Of course, maybe this is a good reason for kids to consider the reputation and credibility of a school when making a choice. The kids before Mayo got there I feel sympathy for, but there were questions swirling around Mayo his entire recruitment and playing career...if I was a ball player I would have stayed away. If things like this happen a few more times maybe guys who aren't actually getting improper benefits will think twice about going to a school who gives them.

I got a question guys... Who's gonna make the dance from the Pac10 this year??

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    I got a question guys... Who's gonna make the dance from the Pac10 this year??
    well, SOMEONE has to since they get an automatic bid. They have a tournament now (is this the first year?) so whomever wins that. I'm hoping for ASU to stick it to the pack people even more.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Cal's got the highest Pomeroy rating, but with no good wins. The Pac-10 without USC eligible for the postseason is a very, very weak conference.

One and done players

I am shocked that Mayo was dirty To paint with a broad brush. If you are a one and done player that is forced to go to college instead of the NBA. What is the harm in taking some money to play your freshmen year. You are generating plenty of money for the school so you probably deserve it. Plus you will be long gone before any scandal hits. Sounds like rational behavior to me

That was a little tongue in cheek, but I do think that some of these players who consider college a few month commitment on the way to NBA are more likely to consider large cash payments a viable recruiting tool.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Is there any realistic way to punish the guilty? Put a clause in coaches contracts that if program is caught in a violation then they forfeit past salary? or can not coach a college team for a period of time? Get player to pay a fine?

Alex Stephenson transferred from UNC to USC. No ring last year, no tourney this year.

SoCal
    The first thing I thought about doing when I heard the news was to look at SC's roster. I wonder what it will look like next year?

I don't blame Mayo at all. I would take the money too if I had no intentions of actually attending college in anything more than for appearances. But the school has got to be smarter than to take these guys. I would have bet my house Mayo was going to be paid to go to college when he was still in high school. I find it amazing that the AD or someone at the school wouldn't say, "Hey, maybe we shouldn't mess with this guy."

it's too bad that mayo and floyd are apparently free of punishment here. Even the "shame" doesn't seem to stick.

mayo should never have darkened the door of an institute of higher learning. The nba rule contributes to this abuse. I'm not saying the admin and AD and coaches are without blame. I'm just saying that do away with this rule and the entire landscape changes..