Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lawrence Taylor arrested for rape

doesn't this reflect more on the man, not the program?

LT (not ours) in trouble again...

In light of the Duke LAX mess, we should all reserve judgment until all the facts become clear but...this doesn't sound good. Lawrence Taylor (who is 51) has been charged with third-degree rape of a FIFTEEN year old.

First of all, I honestly didn't know there were different kinds of rape in the eyes of the law. What the heck is third-degree rape anyway?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36987069...me_and_courts/

Should we be principally concerned with UNC's image here?

51 year-old man. 15 year-old girl.

Third degree rape, so it is "statutory."

Stupid is as stupid does.

well, there's guilt by association...if one of duke's stars were arrested, there would be the same association...

this is a high profile unc supporter, shown often in visits on the sidelines of the unc sporting events...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    First of all, I honestly didn't know there were different kinds of rape in the eyes of the law. What the heck is third-degree rape anyway?
    It is consensual sex with a minor.

Taylor is a sick man. Didn't he have issues with drugs and alcohol abuse??? Wasn't Taylor on Dancing with the Stars??? He sacked Thiesman and ended his career?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    Taylor is a sick man. Didn't he have issues with drugs and alcohol abuse??? Wasn't Taylor on Dancing with the Stars??? He sacked Thiesman and ended his career?
    "What was wrong with that?", asked the Giants fan. It's not like LT broke JT's leg on purpose.

Honestly, I wish it never happened because (1) it did end JT's career, and (2) it made me physically ill at the time and the thought of it still does.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    "What was wrong with that?", asked the Giants fan. It's not like LT broke JT's leg on purpose.

Honestly, I wish it never happened because (1) it did end JT's career, and (2) it made me physically ill at the time and the thought of it still does.
    Yeah, (the real tragedy was when) we then all had to endure years of JT in the broadcast booth... said the 'skins fan...

I met LT randomly back in December and wrote something about it at the time. Looking back, he seemed like a bit of a weird dude in that he didn't seem to want to shake my hand. I understand he didn't want to be bothered, but he wasn't eating at the time and I didn't ask for an autograph or even a picture. I just wanted to shake hands with one of the greatest football players ever. Assuming this report is true, and I think you can assume that, he never really got over his demons, I guess. It really is a shame that someone so talented couldn't get past these darker aspects of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    "What was wrong with that?", asked the Giants fan.
    Seeing ABC reply it 23984756982375698 times when it happened, that's what was wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Looking back, he seemed like a bit of a weird dude in that he didn't seem to want to shake my hand. I understand he didn't want to be bothered, but he wasn't eating at the time and I didn't ask for an autograph or even a picture.
    There may have been a previous incident where a handshake or some other casual, even friendly contact led to other allegations. You really have to keep your guard up as a celebrity, especially one such as LT with a rap sheet. It is common for male celebrities to get out of an elevator if a woman they don't know gets on, for example.

Yeah, you have a point. I mean, I gave him a pass on it. He just acted weird, I thought.

I have a question for the lawyers on the board.

More details have come out about this case, and it seems that the alleged victim ran away from home at 15 and has been living with an adult in the Bronx (she is now 16). He took her, against her will, to have sex with LT in the middle of the night. LT then paid the man $300.

My question is, why is LT just being charged with statutory rape? Why isn't it first degree rape considering this entire event was against the victim's will? Is it just because they think 3rd degree assault will be a slam dunk? It just seems wrong that the charge isn't more severe.
    T '05, SOM '10

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Apparently that's not possible in New York.

From the linked article :
    "We're not happy with what took place, but our detectives have made the arrest and processed the scene," St. Lawrence said.

St. Lawrence also said sex with a 16-year-old cannot be consensual in New York state.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    well, there's guilt by association...if one of duke's stars were arrested, there would be the same association...

this is a high profile unc supporter, shown often in visits on the sidelines of the unc sporting events...
    I'm not sure he was a high profile supporter, at least not as far as on-campus activities. This past season is the first time I can remember him being on the UNC sidelines at a football game.

ESPN made a big deal out of it last year because LT was on the sidelines of the UNC vs. Florida State game in CH-Hill. The announcers said the reason it was such a big deal was because LT rarely made appearances at UNC football games, especially on the sidelines with the team where the cameras could see him.

I heard rumors through different circles that the school had limited LT's access to the team over the years because of his past troubles with drugs and the law but that decided to let him come because he seemed to be on the road to recovery and thought it would be a good boost for the team and for LT for him to be in the locker room.

Colin Cowherd said on his show today that the rumor around ESPN was that LT was jacked up out of his mind at that game and that everyone could tell and there was a feeling of sadness from the ESPN crew because they all thought that one of the greatest ever had cleaned up his act. Guess his demons finally got the best of him this time because if he's guilty, he'll be up the river for a while considering his past infractions. I think he's still on federal probation for tax evasion.
    Last edited by left_hook_lacey; 05-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Isn't sex with a minor always non-consensual, since minors can't give consent?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    Yes, unless both parties are minors, then difference in age comes in to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    It's legally non-consensual, but actually consensual. That's why it's not first-degree rape (presumably).