Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

UT-Knoxville basketball players face drugs, weapons charges

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11757193

"Tyler Smith, Brian Williams, Melvin Goins and Cameron Tatum were arrested by Knoxville Police shortly before noon."

That's one starter and three reserves that see significant playing time.

Smith is averaging 12 points in 27 minutes
    Williams 6 points in 17 minutes
    Goins 6 points in 16 minutes
    Tatum 9 points in 20 minutes

The four combined played 89 minutes and scored 25 points in Thursday's 66-59 win over Memphis.

So now what happens?

What Happens Now Is...

Quote Originally Posted by striker219 View Post

"Tyler Smith, Brian Williams, Melvin Goins and Cameron Tatum were arrested by Knoxville Police shortly before noon."

The four combined played 89 minutes and scored 25 points in Thursday's 66-59 win over Memphis.

So now what happens?
    They all get lawyers, the charges get reduced and they do community service. The rich and famous do not live by the same set of rules as the rest of us. I'm betting that Smith walks, for sure. The other three could go either way.

Wow. A weapon with an altered serial number?

I am not sure what these fellows background is, but I would hope that most people who have managed to get to such a position in life (a free education at a decent school, being respected for considerable athletic skills, being in a basically safe environment) would be able to leave such criminal behavior behind. What idiots.

"They all get lawyers, the charges get reduced and they do community service. The rich and famous do not live by the same set of rules as the rest of us"

There's a certain former wide receiver for the New York Giants who might take issue with that assessment.

Well, I guess we will see what sort of program Pearl wants to run. Anything sort of four players permanently dismissed from team would be a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    Well, I guess we will see what sort of program Pearl wants to run. Anything sort of four players permanently dismissed from team would be a joke.
    Vols Head Coach Bruce Pearl issued a brief statement saying, "We take these matters very seriously. We are still gathering information. Once the appropriate authorities have provided us with all of the facts, we will act accordingly."

Anyone associated with Duke, should be very wary of rushing to judgment. I think Bruce Pearl’s statement was exactly what should have been said about the Duke Lacrosse players. Yes it does look very bad. If the facts are what has been stated in the newspaper article then I would expect them to be appropriately punished both by the legal system and the school.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Vols Head Coach Bruce Pearl issued a brief statement saying, "We take these matters very seriously. We are still gathering information. Once the appropriate authorities have provided us with all of the facts, we will act accordingly."

Anyone associated with Duke, should be very wary of rushing to judgment. I think Bruce Pearl’s statement was exactly what should have been said about the Duke Lacrosse players. Yes it does look very bad. If the facts are what has been stated in the newspaper article then I would expect them to be appropriately punished both by the legal system and the school.
    Fair enough, but your analogy is weak at best. Doesn't seem like there are many facts to dispute. Two weapons, pot and an open alcohol container all in the car...assuming the newspaper or the police are not lying, that is grounds for dismissal in my book.

Oops...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "They all get lawyers, the charges get reduced and they do community service. The rich and famous do not live by the same set of rules as the rest of us"

There's a certain former wide receiver for the New York Giants who might take issue with that assessment.
    I couldn't find the "generalization" emoticon.

Poor Plaxico - what a bonehead.

Reputable

Bruce Pearl will not tolerate this kind of stuff.

ricks

Update from CBS Sports

Gary Parrish

...coach Bruce Pearl plans to indefinitely suspend all four players who were arrested Friday morning and then gather more details before determining which players, if any, will continue their careers as Vols, a source has told CBSSports.com.

You have to wonder what they were thinking, or what they were doing? Tyler Smith probably could have played professionally either here or over sea's. Cameron was a rising sophomore that has serious potential. The other two were really nice complimentary players who produced. With that being said, their professional(or collegiate) are of little importance now.

As far as UT season? I figured they had the best chance to derail a good Kentucky team. Now, I think they will be lucky to get a 8 or 9 seed to the tourney. This is just ugly.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

So now what happens?
    UT kisses their season goodbye. To lose a starter and 3 other players is a blow that will spell out a lot of future losses.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So now what happens?
    Transfer to U-Con?