Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Duke 84, Long Beach State 63 Post-Game Thread

Post your thoughts here!

1st half was the best I've seen from Duke all year. O, D both clicking, only FTs were off. The second half, bleh - LBS settled down, Lance had foul trouble, we were outplayed much of the half.

Smith was the most clutch player all night. Jon's shot wasn't as hot in the 2nd as in the 1st, until late. Still, I don't remember any TOs from him. Zoubs was very good.

Overall, B+.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Followed on Game Tracker

Without watching the play it is difficult to form much of an opinion. Clearly, the starters had a good game against a tough opponent. It appears that neither of the Plumlees had their better performances, while Zoubek and Thomas played well. It didn't appear Kelly played his best either. Prerformances must have something to do with the competitiveness of the opponent.

Someone else will have to indicate why Dawkins didn't return as he was shooting well.

Sheyer, Singler and Smith did their thing very well.

Unhappy

My thoughts.

A long time Duke fan. I am getting sick and tired of our revered coach not playing his bench. Is this to pad his stats? And has no one on the coaching staff not yet realized that Zou shouldn't dribble in the post? Flame on.

That didn't take long

Duke blows out a team that has given several top 20 teams very close games and all you can do is complain about the short bench and Zoubek dribbling? Wow.

Plumlee Par Deux?

I wasn't able to watch the game in my area, but was there a reason noted on why Plumlee the Younger didn't play at all? Or is it an issue with the statkeeping?

stat of the night

14 assists no TO--Scheyer & Smith in the backcourt

Mason played a good bit, Miles played more and played well. Dawkins played and played well. In the first half K was running players in and out from the start. I don't know how the stats came out, but lots of bench players seemed to get time.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I wasn't able to watch the game in my area, but was there a reason noted on why Plumlee the Younger didn't play at all? Or is it an issue with the statkeeping?
    Coach K referred to the white team domolishing the blue team in practice and was not real pleased with that. That might have something to do with limited playing time for some. K always says you will play how you practice.

Does anyone know why Andre only played nine minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Duke blows out a team that has given several top 20 teams very close games and all you can do is complain about the short bench and Zoubek dribbling? Wow.
    You tell me what I said that was not correct.

Like Tom Brady throwing bombs against Cleveland in the 4th qtr when up by 30 or 40. At least the Colts pull their starters. When this game was in hand why did coach not substitute?

I wait for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bass-piscator View Post
    our revered coach
    I gotta admit, by this point your intentions already seem a bit suspect.

My thoughts.
    A long time Duke fan. I am getting sick and tired of our revered coach not playing his bench. Is this to pad his stats? And has no one on the coaching staff not yet realized that Zou shouldn't dribble in the post? Flame on.
    I've come to accept as a longtime fan that K does not use his bench enough for my liking. I feel that he keeps the starters in long past the point that he ought to be getting the other guys real game experience. Sometimes I think he prefers for his starters to be 40 minute iron men than to have a dependable 8-9 player rotation. On this last point I think this year shows improvement, although that may have something to do with the frontcourt players struggling to decisively earn starter's minutes.

But Coach K clearly disagrees. He's disagreed for a long time. And during that time he's done pretty well for himself and for the team. So rather than root for another team, I've decided to accept this.

Is this to pad his stats?
    I'm not sure I follow.

At least the Colts pull their starters.
    The Colts lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    The Colts lost ...
    Bingo

Wow

I thought he (K) did play the bench more than usual. For awhile we looked like another program with the amount of subs coming in and out. I thought we played/shot really well tonight against a decent opponent. I liked how for scant moments I saw Jon and Kyle resting on the bench some. We won't make ESPN most sensational highlights much; but we've got some heady, fundamentally sound and athletic ball players. A win is a win.

My thoughts.

You tell me what I said that was not correct.

Like Tom Brady throwing bombs against Cleveland in the 4th qtr when up by 30 or 40. At least the Colts pull their starters. When this game was in hand why did coach not substitute?

I wait for a good reason.
    What you said was technically correct, but a very small part of the game. Yes, Brian had two turnovers when he put the ball on the floor in the post, but in a game that we won by over 20, where he had a double double, it seems a very odd time to complain about his play. It would be like complaining about Jon having a turnover, when he also has 22 points and 7 assists. (Of course, Jon didn't have a turnover.)
    So, you are right if you are expecting people to flame away after you nit-pick a nice performance of a 20 year old kid and complain because a coaching legend likes to develop his starters during the year, as opposed to how you would rather he play the bench more.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    The Colts lost ...
    and no one got hurt.

That was the point wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I saw Jon and Kyle resting on the bench some.
    Jon played 38 minutes.

If this were my first time watching Duke play tonight, I'd wonder why #55 ever comes out of the game, why #5 has a scholarship, and why #21 is a starter. As someone who has been super-critical of Zoubek and super-excited about the Plumlees, this is hard for me to say. But it's the truth.

The bench played a lot in the first half, not so much in the second. I loved all the subbing in the first half.