Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Penn Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Penn is 0-8 on the year with an average margin of defeat of 15.4 points. In their most recent game, on December 28th, the Quakers were beaten by Davidson 79 - 50.
    Bob Green

Bench will get lots of opportunities

This looks like a game where the bench will play a great deal of the time. Good opportunitiy for coach K to try combinations for extended periods.

One interesting note from the Davidson-Penn game on Monday - Denzel Washington was at Davidson (along with family) to watch his son. Malcolm Washington is a freshman at Penn - scored three points in limited action. If Denzel made the trip to Davidson, its probably a good bet that he'll be at Cameron as well.

My favorite Denzel quip of the night was someone noting that we won by Malcolm XXIX points.

The real question is how many minutes Casey peters will get and if he does how many points will he have. Hopefully he'll get in there, as i haven't seen him in the game for a while. I kinda feel bad for Penn though, no wins and they have to come into Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    This looks like a game where the bench will play a great deal of the time. Good opportunitiy for coach K to try combinations for extended periods.
    Heh heh heh... famous last words

If the Plumlees don't both get 25 min+ K should be fired. End of story.

My brother goes to Penn (and was actually asked to write up this game for their newspaper), but they're a terrible team again this year, with prospects looking dim. When their coach left for Temple a few years back, it killed the program (plus, I'm sure Cornell's rise and Amaker joining the Ivy League couldn't hurt) for the present. This should be an easy W.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    If the Plumlees don't both get 25 min+ K should be fired. End of story.
    Why is that? K is trying to prove to the freshman and Miles that they need to be consistent on defense to earn time. 3 blocks and 4 missed assignments isn't a good mix.

It is better to play them anyway and hope they figure things out...or make a point so they get it now? Hopefully that point was made against Long Beach and we will see them 20+. 25+ is asking a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    Why is that? K is trying to prove to the freshman and Miles that they need to be consistent on defense to earn time. 3 blocks and 4 missed assignments isn't a good mix.

It is better to play them anyway and hope they figure things out...or make a point so they get it now? Hopefully that point was made against Long Beach and we will see them 20+. 25+ is asking a lot.
    I think maybe you missed the sarcasm.

Penn actually fired their coach already this year. The guy that they hired to replaced Fran Dunphy was completely inadequate for the unique challenges of coaching an Ivy league team. With Penn's basketball tradition, a good coach should get them back in three to five years. But for now, they're just bench fodder and and RPI black hole for us.

My boy Robbie Belcore is in his 2nd year at Penn. I didn't play with him at Loyola in Chicago cause I was a senior on the varsity squad and he didn't get moved up until he was a sophomore, but I played with him quite a bit for fun and his sister was good friend's with my best friend's sister.

I texted him earlier today, "Are you guarding Scheyer tomorrow?"

He texts back 5 minutes later, "define guarding"

Me: "lol"

Rob: "I don't know who I hate more, you or Duke"

Me: "I love you too"

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I think maybe you missed the sarcasm.
    yah, just poking a little fun

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    My boy Robbie Belcore is in his 2nd year at Penn...I texted him earlier today, "Are you guarding Scheyer tomorrow?"

That's so awesome I just wanted it to be on the screen again.

I hate to be overtly overconfident for this game but I will just flat out say what I want to say. Why did we schedule this cupcake matchup at this point in the season? We're about to begin ACC play with Clemson. We should be playing a team that is at least .500. Penn a few years back would have been fine. This year they are awful.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHopkins View Post
    I hate to be overtly overconfident for this game but I will just flat out say what I want to say. Why did we schedule this cupcake matchup at this point in the season? We're about to begin ACC play with Clemson. We should be playing a team that is at least .500. Penn a few years back would have been fine. This year they are awful.
    A better question might be when did we schedule this game? Was it a couple years ago when Penn was pretty decent?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHopkins View Post
    Penn a few years back would have been fine. This year they are awful.
    I think is probably the reason. Without knowing exactly when this game was sxheduled, I'd venture to say it was at least a year or two ago. No way to know how well many of the weaker OOC teams will be when they're scheduled.

Prediction: Duke 108 - Penn 64

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    A better question might be when did we schedule this game? Was it a couple years ago when Penn was pretty decent?
    I'm not sure we schedule games against teams like Penn that far out, though.

It may just be that Duke wants to schedule a couple of games against really terrible teams each year, and they might as well play one of those games against a team that will get a little bit of attention in Philadelphia and South Jersey. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    My boy Robbie Belcore is in his 2nd year at Penn. I didn't play with him at Loyola in Chicago cause I was a senior on the varsity squad and he didn't get moved up until he was a sophomore, but I played with him quite a bit for fun and his sister was good friend's with my best friend's sister.

I texted him earlier today, "Are you guarding Scheyer tomorrow?"

Bahahahaha. POTY.

This could get real ugly. Hopefully we'll at least get to witness the long-awaited Plumlee Party. Not that it would mean much again Penn, but it would sure be a fun way to kick off the night...

Happy (early) New Years to everyone!

Everyone ring in the new year with a Plumlee Party. I like the sound of that. Like two huge party favors.

I love 2 games within 3 days!

The players might not, but who are the games really played for?

Wooooo!