Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrence Ross?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDuke View Post
    (poster commented that he wanted to see us also recruit Quincy Miller)
    ross is 6-6 and more of a wing than a true guard.

but i do agree with you that mr. miller would be a mighty fine addition to our frontcourt.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 01-04-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDuke View Post
    (poster commented that he wanted to see us also recruit Quincy Miller)
    I'm pretty sure Ross is in the 2010 class and Miller in the 2011 class. They are by no means mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 01-04-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Sorry Gary...

From everything I have read on various sites Ross seems like a great kid, and apparently his relationship had deteriorated with GW. I think this would go a long way in explaining why he went about the de-commitment the way he did; his mother emailed Gary to let him know. Normally this would raise some eyebrows, but apparently this has more to do with their relationship than what kind of person Ross is.

Otherwise, as long as the recruits come to us, and furthermore have the blessing of the other coach, I don't see how one could reasonably conclude that K is out there 'stealing' other schools' commits.

This would be a huge get for us...perhaps that one missing peice to a team loaded with talent at every position.

Man I hope we get this guy, I think he could be the icing on the cake. Something to realy put us over

A odd read

I don't agree with his views of K but some interesting theories

Two sections kind of long

http://www.testudotimes.com/2009/12/...ence-ross-pt-i

http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/1/1/1228961/expanding

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post

Part 2 takes you to an error message saying the page doesn't exist - and it must be the part that discuses K

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Part 2 takes you to an error message saying the page doesn't exist - and it must be the part that discuses K
    my bad here ya go

http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/1/1...nce-ross-pt-ii

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post

Thanks for the link, interesting read. Like you, I don't necessarily agree with the author's view of K's involvement, and it seems odd that he would single out K without really opening up the angle on Cal's possible involvement, who is undoubtedly the shadier character.

Reading some of the comments posted makes me love to hate UMD fans even more

Testudo Ben needs to be enlightened about the recruitment of Miles at the very least. Miles indeed had signed an LOI with Stanford. About the same time, Mason had committed orally to Duke. When Stanford coach Trent Johnson, who had recruited Miles, left to coach LSU, he did not speak to Miles about it. In addition, the Stanford basketball office did not stay in touch. Miles became frustrated as Stanford searched for a coach. Dawkins was a reluctant candidate. He may not even have been Stanford's first choice. Once the offer was made, he took some time to consider it.

While all that was happening, Miles was getting antsy. It was he or his family who contacted Duke to see if there was any interest. He now wanted to play with his brother. They took the initiative, not Coach K. In fact, Dawkins had not been involved in Mason's recruitment and they did not know each other. Duke's basketball office simply advised Miles' parents to tell Stanford he wanted out before they would proceed further.

Nearly simultaneous with that, Dawkins accepted the Stanford job, learned of Miles' determination and decided that if Miles didn't want to play at Stanford, he would grant him a release from his LOI. I am pretty sure that Dawkins spoke to Coach K about the issue and he was fine with it.

There is no suggestion that Coach K did anything improper here, yet Ben at Testudo is, by innuendo, suggesting that he did.

As for Rivers, by all the accounts that I have read, it was his Dad, Doc, who was behind the suggestion that Austin look at other schools. As with Ross, Rivers has not signed an LOI. Technically, any coach is free to talk to him. Even so, the initial contact was made by the Rivers family, not Coach K. I also understand that Coach K told them to talk to Coach Donovan about their decision before he would get involved and that the two coaches later spoke. There would not appear to be any evidence that tampering occurred here, either.

As with Miles, Testudo Ben is again trying by innuendo to suggest Coach K has interfered. He became involved due to a family invitation.

Indeed, Ben is suggesting that Duke has changed the way it recruits -- from being straight to being crooked.

Someone needs to call out Testudo's Ben.

Since I would get dirty signing up with that blog, I'll leave it to folks with fewer reservations than I. Go to it, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Er, no.

With Smith, Irving, Curry, Dawkins and Thornton Duke will be loaded with small guards, and with Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly and Hairston Duke should be set in the frontcourt. Duke needs wing players, and at 6-6 Ross may be better suited to play that role than anyone on the Duke roster.

Duke may need Quincy Miller because Miller is expected to be a great player. But Duke should be well stocked with power forwards for the next few years.
    Are you kidding me?? Quincy Miller is a bonafide top 10 talent that any team, including us would be lucky to have. I just don't see how you can name 4 front court players, one that has yet to show us anything (Ryan Kelly), one that hasn't even stepped on campus yet (Josh Hairston) and one that would be a senior by the time Quincy Miller would even arrive to Duke (Miles Plumlee) and say that we won't need Quincy Miller.
    It has been talked about him possibly playing both the 3 and 4 at the collegiate level and, should he come to Duke, he would get good mintues playing both 3, 4 and maybe even some 5.
    When you are a top 10 talent, a good team will find ways to get that player on the floor.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recrui...oss-moving-on/

According to this source, Duke has the inside track on Ross. With Howard going to Maryland, I would assume that to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFreakShow View Post
    When you are a top 10 talent, a good team will find ways to get that player on the floor.
    Except for John Henson
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I've got a question. With all the NCAA rules against improper contact and the such by "agents or representatives" of a university, how does that apply to high school players who have signed with a school. For example, player X has signed with Duke, so would he be considered an "agent or representative" of the school?

I mean, if as a fan and a poster to a Duke message board, I cannot make contact with a recruit, how is it that the NCAA will allow open recruitment by a signee?

I am sure it must be OK since it is done all the time and in a very public way, it just seems illogical to me. Anyone know the official NCAA position on this?

I apologize if this has been explained elsewhere, if so please just direct me to the thread. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Except for John Henson
    Easy now. Henson is actually on the court much more than the scorekeepers give him credit for. Problem is, he cannot be seen when he turns sideways, and he has trouble staying in bounds in drafty arenas.

Ross sounds like he will fit in perfectly. We need a wing that can attack the rim, and Ross would get that opportunity with Curry on the other wing stretching the defense, and the Plumlees keeping the post players from cheating to help on D. KI and Ross would go nuts on the break, and on secondary breaks.

Quincy is a whole different player, he will draw a post defender or he will dominate down low, and he can then pull his defender outside. Quincy and Ross would work very well together@@#$&. Sorry, a little bit of drool hit the keyboard.

Good one

Found this to be slightly amusing...

"Another major theory is that his academics aren't good enough to get into UMD, which has among the most stringent athletic standards in the country. Duke, despite being a better academic university, sets its athletic standards much lower. Kentucky and Kansas are lesser universities anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I've got a question. With all the NCAA rules against improper contact and the such by "agents or representatives" of a university, how does that apply to high school players who have signed with a school. For example, player X has signed with Duke, so would he be considered an "agent or representative" of the school?

I mean, if as a fan and a poster to a Duke message board, I cannot make contact with a recruit, how is it that the NCAA will allow open recruitment by a signee?

I am sure it must be OK since it is done all the time and in a very public way, it just seems illogical to me. Anyone know the official NCAA position on this?

I apologize if this has been explained elsewhere, if so please just direct me to the thread. Thanks.
    Many of these players, such as Hairston and Ross, play with each other on high school or AAU teams. Telling basketball players not to talk about basketball (albeit at the next level) with their teammates seems unlikely to work.

Exclamation TR timeline?

Anybody aware of anything from TR on a timeline for a decision? I would assume it to come after his HS season is done.

BOY, would he fill a need for us very well!

I'm not sure why all the empahsis here on Terp fan message boards. Did anybody expect anything less from that crowd? This is the same crowd that knocks unconscious players' moms sitting behind the viviting bench with thrown objects. Chants simple obscenities (and wears similar tee-shirts) at opposing players. Riots and does millions of dollars of damage to their own town after big wins and big losses. And, since I was there in College Park last year I need to mention, when an opposing player gets knocked out on the court by a viscious "pick" from a MD player 100-lbs bigger than him, the crowd chants "Re-play! Re-play! Re-play" to the jumbotron operator (to his credit the replay was only shown once immediately after the play). The question I keep asking myself is, "WHAT WOULD THE REACTION HAVE BEEN IF THE ROLES WERE REVERSED AND, FOR EXAMPLE, IF T.R. HAD BEEN TALKING TO HAIRSTON AND JOSH WOUND UP REOPENING HIS RECRUITMENT, WITH MD ON THE LIST??" Anybody believe that there'd be ANY recrimination from these Terp chatboards villifying Gary Williams? Yeah, right. (Much more likely to be repeated posts admonishing Duke to do a better job hanging on to their commits...)

Quote Originally Posted by vango View Post
    Found this to be slightly amusing...

"Another major theory is that his academics aren't good enough to get into UMD, which has among the most stringent athletic standards in the country. Duke, despite being a better academic university, sets its athletic standards much lower. Kentucky and Kansas are lesser universities anyway."
    Wow. Did they raise those standards before or after Steve Blake and Lonnie Baxter?

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    From everything I have read on various sites Ross seems like a great kid, and apparently his relationship had deteriorated with GW. I think this would go a long way in explaining why he went about the de-commitment the way he did; his mother emailed Gary to let him know. Normally this would raise some eyebrows, but apparently this has more to do with their relationship than what kind of person Ross is.

Otherwise, as long as the recruits come to us, and furthermore have the blessing of the other coach, I don't see how one could reasonably conclude that K is out there 'stealing' other schools' commits.

This would be a huge get for us...perhaps that one missing peice to a team loaded with talent at every position.
    I can't imagine anyone not getting along with Gleeful Gary...

Are you kidding me?? Quincy Miller is a bonafide top 10 talent that any team, including us would be lucky to have. I just don't see how you can name 4 front court players, one that has yet to show us anything (Ryan Kelly), one that hasn't even stepped on campus yet (Josh Hairston) and one that would be a senior by the time Quincy Miller would even arrive to Duke (Miles Plumlee) and say that we won't need Quincy Miller.
    I suppose this hinges on your definition of "need." Does Duke want QM? Could the team use him in 2011? You bet. Will we sink to the middle of the pack in the ACC without him? Unlikely. Will we still be a national contender without him? Probably. We can want him and hope for him without "needing" him.

Same for HB, actually -- we wanted him but we didn't "need" him -- especially if we can reel in Mr. Ross, or Mr. Smith, etc.