Should college bball adopt international rules?

I have been wondering if college ball should change rules etc to be the same as international ball. As it is, college ball is somewhat different from high school and the pros in the time or the rules about D - why not make it very different. By changing the college game, some players might be better prepared to play international ball when such situations arise- like the Olympics. Also a large number of collge kids go overseas to play. The wider lane and deeper three also will have some impact on what teams can do -and help develop some fundamentals. I enjoy the international game- and I see more upside than down for changing. Thoughts?

I spoke of this in the three pnt thread. I think it would be a great idea. Kids can be exposed to international rules, and would ease the learning curve during international play..

International rules

International play is exciting, and seems to be designed for more team play. While overseas I both played with international rules, and also refed for tourneyments. This was awhile ago, so some rules may be different. The game seemed to go faster--I remember that a referee didn't have to touch the ball in the backcourt when it went out of bounds. More than once a U.S. team would get caught when the international team would grab the ball quickly and rush down for a score.

However, I dont' think that colleges should just adopt international rules so US teams will be familiar with the rules. Unless the NBA goes international, it would seem that more college players end up in the NBA than playing by international rules.

It would be interesting to know what international rules, such as the one mentioned above, might be adopted.

NBA Ball

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post
    International play is exciting, and seems to be designed for more team play. While overseas I both played with international rules, and also refed for tourneyments. This was awhile ago, so some rules may be different. The game seemed to go faster--I remember that a referee didn't have to touch the ball in the backcourt when it went out of bounds. More than once a U.S. team would get caught when the international team would grab the ball quickly and rush down for a score.

However, I dont' think that colleges should just adopt international rules so US teams will be familiar with the rules. Unless the NBA goes international, it would seem that more college players end up in the NBA than playing by international rules.

It would be interesting to know what international rules, such as the one mentioned above, might be adopted.
    It would be useful to know what fraction of players go overseas vs the NBA- I am guessing it may be even or perhaps leaning toward international ball- but college does not even prepare players to play pro rules- different 3 point line- ability to use a real zone- focus on one-on-one play. It seems as if college ball doesn't prepare players for either pro game well.

In what sense?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post
    International play is exciting, and seems to be designed for more team play.
    That is, are you saying that the international rules promote team play? It's not obvious to me why this would be the case. I do agree that foreign teams have been beating us in international play because they are better with team strategies (as opposed to one-on-one play).

I reject the notion that high school or college ball should be tailored as preparation for the next level. We all know the rough percentages of high school players who actually go on to play college and college players who go on to play professionally.

The rules and set-up of the game should be tailored to the respective skill level (overall) of the players involved. It's unfair to tailor the game based on a select few whose skills indicate that they will have a chance to advance. Let them be the ones who, at the next level, have to adjust their game to meet the conditions.

Well said. Thank you!

Do you want ALL the international rules? Including the one that says if the coach talks to the refs, it's a technical?

I can live with that. (I'm not sure some coaches can!) I also would be happy if they did away with replays.

I can, too. The general rule is only the team captain, or a designated substitute if the team captain is not in the game, may talk to the officials.

Also, only the coach can call timeout, and does so by signaling to the scorers' table. Only the scorers' table can acknowledge and grant the timeout. This was a point of contention during the 1972 Olympic final game.

It's Soccer Stupid

The International game is more interesting and formidable from a team perspective than ours because of soccer influences. The rules, except for the shape of the lane, have nothing to do with it. Soccer influences expand tremendously the vision of what is possible and the quickness and precision with which the ball moves, especially as it moves away from the basket.

American concepts cause a more myopic vision to develop. Soccer concepts expand what is possible and effective. The pass away from the basket, as in soccer, is at least as important as one that penetrates towards it. Soccer concepts are much more concerned with things like balance, momentum, footing and footwork, in contrast to American concepts which are much more focused on the dribble, shooting, dunking, and (from a coaching perspective) such winsome notions as ball denial, bodying up on defense, and fighting for position.

Do away with AAU ball and encourage young talented basketball players to expand their horizons and play soccer. They and our game will be the better for it.