Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Here is your initial proclamation: "The Northeast is a far better BCS Football Program to millions of population ratio than the Southeast, including Florida." [emphasis added] Who Duke targets or should be targeting, and our recruiting history, has nothing to do with that statement. I'm asking you to prove your initial thesis, because it's counterintuitive. That is, if I can assume what the intended wording was; I think you meant to say something along the lines of "The Northeast is a far better pipeline of BCS football talent in terms of good recruits per million inhabitants than the Southeast, including Florida." On its face, that's ludicrous. So, if you'd like, back it up with some non-skewed to your benefit, sufficient sample size numbers.

Your point about the scant number of top flight programs in the Northeast also argues against your thesis - for one, that's less players playing collegiate ball up there, even if all those teams were stocked with local kids. But when the Big East programs still look to Texas, Florida and Georgia to fill out their rosters to a much greater degree than the reverse happens, it makes your statement look even more untrue.
    Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts have really two high major programs - Ohio State and Penn State. Yes Cincy and Pitt are doing well of late. But they are not high major programs, and, particularly in the case of Cincy, offer nothing close to the level of education at the only two consistent high major programs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

That is two programs per 62.2 million people.

A lot of good Football players come out of these states.

I notice you have not addressed the recruiting disappointments for Duke Football this and last year. You may not follow these that closely.

Some of the recruiting mishaps have been self-inflicted wounds which suggest little weight is given superior academic credentials in the recruiting process. For example, Duke's snub of high major offered DE Henry Anderson whose high school coach confirmed that he wanted to come to Duke but that our coaching staff snubbed him entirely.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=4023411

You are aware of Stanford's tremendous success.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=14&yr=2010

Notice 7 of 21 of the verbal commits for 2010 are from the South. Yes there are good Football players in the South who are very well qualified academically. Our chances of landing them are much improved if we target and screen firstly for the best students - like Stanford. But this is SEC country.

Cold, snowy winters up north may also help us in recruiting, where kids commonly dont grow up dreaming of playing for Alabama, but where they may grow up dreaming of going to Penn or Harvard. Enter stage left - our new Defensive Coordinator.

Stars, stars, stars

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts have really two high major programs - Ohio State and Penn State. Yes Cincy and Pitt are doing well of late. But they are not high major programs, and, particularly in the case of Cincy, offer nothing close to the level of education at the only two consistent high major programs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

That is two programs per 62.2 million people.

A lot of good Football players come out of these states.

I notice you have not addressed the recruiting disappointments for Duke Football this and last year. You may not follow these that closely.

Some of the recruiting mishaps have been self-inflicted wounds which suggest little weight is given superior academic credentials in the recruiting process. For example, Duke's snub of high major offered DE Henry Anderson whose high school coach confirmed that he wanted to come to Duke but that our coaching staff snubbed him entirely.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=4023411

You are aware of Stanford's tremendous success.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=14&yr=2010

Notice 7 of 21 of the verbal commits for 2010 are from the South. Yes there are good Football players in the South who are very well qualified academically. Our chances of landing them are much improved if we target and screen firstly for the best students - like Stanford. But this is SEC country.

Cold, snowy winters up north may also help us in recruiting, where kids commonly dont grow up dreaming of playing for Alabama, but where they may grow up dreaming of going to Penn or Harvard. Enter stage left - our new Defensive Coordinator.

Love it how recruiting success is based on the average number of stars recruits get. Our freshman all-america receiver had 2 stars from rival. I tend to trust the coaches' decisions on players...and anyway, that other kid we 'snubbed' only had 3 stars. Wouldn't have raised our average that much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    Ohio, Pennsylvania...
    Ummm, pancake bunny? Perhaps I should start over from the beginning. Can you provide a workable transcription for the following statement? "The Northeast is a far better BCS Football Program to millions of population ratio than the Southeast, including Florida." Please note that the foregoing contains absolutely no reference to Duke, Duke football, its history or recruiting, academic standards of any sort, Stanford, our new defensive coordinator, underlying reasons, or number of BCS programs in various regions. It is a blanket, unqualified assertion.

Next, can you support that assertion with actual fact?

I'm willing to wager you can't, because it is rather obviously incorrect on its face. The rest of your posts in response to my initial inquiry about it have provided nothing in support of the blanket statement to which I've objected, and instead acted as though the initial statement had some mention of Duke in it. There was no such context. I haven't "addressed" recent Duke football recruiting disappointments because they have zero to do with what I'm talking about. You basically stated that the NE is a significantly more fertile ground for producing D-1 quality college football players, person for person, than the SE. I'm calling you on it. If that's not what you intended to say, feel free to restate the thesis with appropriate context. Otherwise, defend it or don't, but please stop obfuscating.

Also, Ohio is not part of the Northeast.

Can we make a new thread where we move all of FDA's posts so that every thread about football doesn't get hijacked and turned into a thread about how Duke should only recruit kids from New England Catholic schools?

Its not that there's no room for discussion on that matter, its that this happens to every football thread that comes up. I would prefer to talk about the new coach, what differences we might see in the defense with Hobby now in charge and Knowles backing him up, things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Ummm, pancake bunny? Perhaps I should start over from the beginning. Can you provide a workable transcription for the following statement? "The Northeast is a far better BCS Football Program to millions of population ratio than the Southeast, including Florida." Please note that the foregoing contains absolutely no reference to Duke, Duke football, its history or recruiting, academic standards of any sort, Stanford, our new defensive coordinator, underlying reasons, or number of BCS programs in various regions. It is a blanket, unqualified assertion.

Next, can you support that assertion with actual fact?

I'm willing to wager you can't, because it is rather obviously incorrect on its face. The rest of your posts in response to my initial inquiry about it have provided nothing in support of the blanket statement to which I've objected, and instead acted as though the initial statement had some mention of Duke in it. There was no such context. I haven't "addressed" recent Duke football recruiting disappointments because they have zero to do with what I'm talking about. You basically stated that the NE is a significantly more fertile ground for producing D-1 quality college football players, person for person, than the SE. I'm calling you on it. If that's not what you intended to say, feel free to restate the thesis with appropriate context. Otherwise, defend it or don't, but please stop obfuscating.

Also, Ohio is not part of the Northeast.
    High major to population in the states I have mentioned, 2 per 62.5 million, 1 per 31.25. As opposed to the Southeast, plus Texas where high major programs include all the SEC schools except Vandy, Kentucky, plus Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A and M, Oklahoma and the list goes on with about 95 million in population, about 14 per 95 million, 1 per 6.79 million. In North Carolina where there are 5 BCS including ECU per 9.2 million or 1 per 1.84 million.

"You basically stated that the NE is a significantly more fertile ground for producing D-1 quality college football players, person for person, than the SE. I'm calling you on it." This is incorrect. I did say that these states were more fertile grounds for Duke, if as we should be, as Stanford is targeting rivals top 250 ranked players with above 1000 SATs. Based on reviewing the rivals data base, prior conversations with coaches, statements of Duke coaches including Carl Franks, New England, PA OH NJ NY will have more of those kids than the SE. An Ivy league type school with better weather and big time athletics. Its an attactive combination for good student top prospects who grew up in the general vacinity of the Ivy League.

I think it goes both ways. When we have kids like Quinn Barham (Hillside HS grad from Durham) playing for Paterno at Penn State (http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...m_quinn00.html), we need to work on getting the best in-state talent possible given our in-state rivals.

At the same time, there are some academically-strong, top prospects in the Northeast that could be great catches.

Take, for example, Penn State's Brett Bracket from Lawrenceville (NJ): http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...t_brett00.html

I also think Duke could try to make in-roads with schools where we already get a good number of (non-athlete) students from. I know that sounds elitist perhaps, but I think it might work for us. Consider that both Varner and Vernon came from a school where we traditionally enroll several students every year(the same school, Gulliver Prep, actually).

Hopefully we go after guys like Max Gruder (Charlotte Country Day) who plays for Pitt (http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sp...der_max00.html) or alternately, look at the roster for UConn football this year (http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m...ootbl-mtt.html). Lots of alma maters listed where Duke traditionally enrolls (non-athlete) students from every year - St. Paul's, Hotchkiss, Friends Academy, Greenwich High School, The Hill School, Punahou, Hun School, McDonough (private in Maryland), Walt Whitman (public HS in Bethesda, MD - I think Duke has like 6 or 7 students from this school), the Peddie School, et cetera.