Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coaching Staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    They both are ready for head coaching jobs and by them staying on K's staff-they are just plugging up the pipeline for all the others waiting in line-Williams,Paulus,Langdon,Etc.

I still can't believe that atleast one of them hasn't landed a HC gig yet...
    And this is based on WHAT? Not only has the staff changed in the last two years but additions have been made to the coaching staff. Please explain...

Codes. They should be brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Codes. They should be brought back.
    A big 10/4 on that, good buddy.

Isn't Staff Turnover Generally a Good Thing?

They both are ready for head coaching jobs and by them staying on K's staff-they are just plugging up the pipeline for all the others waiting in line-Williams,Paulus,Langdon,Etc.

I still can't believe that atleast one of them hasn't landed a HC gig yet...
    That is actually my concern as well. There really hasn't been a lot of coaching turnover on the Duke staff in the last decade, especially from the perspective of college BB programs. Turnover would be desirable from the perspective of getting more disciples out there in the "real world" spreading the gospel of K's system/tactics, as well as prestige to Duke and for Duke BB, and to free up the pipeline for new blood/perspective to come in, such as Carawell, JayWil, Langdon, Laettner (? - was rumored to be interested when J. Dawkins left). BTW, anybody think Grant Hill might be interested in returning to coach once he retires from play-for-pay?

My suspicion is that K doesn't really push the guys to move on to the next level (HC -- I recall reading that he didn't favor JD going to Stanford, and argued against Amaker to Harvard, preferring more "selective" approaches.) Also, I understand that the Assistant Coaches make pretty good money right here in Durham, and it is obviously a comfortable, secure environment.

Lastly, every once in a while you do hear rumors that one of them was being considered for this or that HC vacancy - JD was rumored to have been offered more than one before he eventually accepted Stanford. I'm sure it is a tough question for Chris and Wojo - to accept at a FIU, VCU or USC offer, or wait for that Stanford or Notre Dame or Indiana type gig to (hopefully) come along...

Last edited by -bdbd; 12-18-2009 at 04:44 PM.

As a big, you find space by anticipating where it will be in the next moment or the next moment after that and setting yourself up relative to where the ball will be coming from. Now, players who are good at that make point guards look good, if a point guard is smart enough to anticipate and see that the big sees something and then gets on the same page. Usually, in my experience, it is the big who is the initiator, although a big can set up a reception route based upon a read of the little as well.

Who can teach a big such things?

And, who can teach a big the things that go into setting up the move that will lead to a reception, the misdirected glance or slight move that he only acts like he wants the defender to miss? A big guy, a little, or no one.

And, who can teach a big how to develop different ways of bringing the ball from different catch positions to a shooting one, how to id when he needs to reset his weight before trying to shoot and how to do that to create advantage as well, how to decide in a mano second which foot he wants to catch it on and at what vector relative to the basket, etc.?

Littles I should think have no advantage when it comes to these matters, nor disadvantages. I do not know that they can be taught. There are things relative to all these elements that can be introduced into a player's repetoire, but overcoaching can lead to overthinking and paralysis.

There probably are aspects of how a team organizes to attack a particular defense they will be facing with particular personnel that dictate where certain openings will occur and how a big needs to be positioned to take advantage of them, but that is no different than coaching anyone else in such offensive positioning.

The real issue it seems to me are limiting judgments that coaches can put on players in the name of helping them improve, or tailoring a player's game to work around these limitations. I do not know the extent to which that is necessary, who makes those decisions, and how well they are communicated to leave a player empowered rather than diminished. I would hate to have to make such judgments myself, and will not pretend to know how I would do that. I do not think I could. I do not know that that is ever justified. But, if a coach's style is to do that, if a coaching team makes such a decision, it certainly is justified in the sense that that is what will be.

Now, what was the initial question here, I forget.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    90% of the posters on this board don't know who Pete Newell is.
    I'm gonna figure that answer out by the time I read the 30th thread that is hijacked by the "we need a big man coaching the big men" idea. We're probably in the mid twenties by now.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    (HC -- I recall reading that he didn't favor JD going to Stanford, and argued against Amaker to Harvard, preferring more "selective" approaches.)
    I don't remember where, but I thought I read K was very supportive of JD going to Stanford. And I don't recall seeing anything about K's opinion of Amaker to Harvard, but since it was Tommy's third coaching gig after he left Duke, (a) I'd be surprised to learn K argued against it, unless he thought going Ivy would impede Amaker's career path; and (b) don't understand what that has to do with K discouraging Duke's assistants from leaving, seeing as Amaker hadn't been a Duke assistant for years when he took the Harvard job.

I've pondered this question myself numerous times and it's a tough one to analyze/answer. There is no such evidence that suggests they are not doing their job well. I look back on when we had Dawkins, Amaker, Snyder (all former players) and I thought we had the best coaching staff in the country. A lot of people would agree with that as well. It's easy to look at the coaching staff and nit pick on their shortcomings (if there are any) and call for a change. I don't think it is that easy though in this situation. We have smelled success with them on the bench and who is to say they can't become a Dawkins or Snyder? They are all still fairly young and have a lot of good experience. I do have dreams of having a staff of Capel (after Coach K retires), JWill, Carrawell, and Nate James, but that is a long shot and probably won't happen any time soon. I can't sit here and say get rid of them because I don't think it would accomplish anything. Lastly, is this Chris Spattola's first year? I don't remember him being around last year, but I could be wrong. And is he a coach or just a glorified manager?

-There used to be more buzz around Collins and Wojo getting HC jobs earlier in their assistant coach tenure, I remember Wojo being linked to the Penn State search and Collins being linked to a few searches. I haven't heard them linked to any lately - although my only source is this site

-Since K got the Team USA gig, I can't see these guys wanting to leave. They get to help coach the pros, and learn a lot from the other coaches and staff, that's a real once-in-a-lifetime type experience.

-I think this is an issue that we wring our hands over, but do you even know the full staff of the other top schools? I had to look up UNC's staff. You've got Steve Robinson, former FSU head coach who seems to be Roy's recruiting right hand. The other two? Jerod Haase who we remember when he played guard for Roy a KU and CB McGrath, Haase's roomate at KU - I don't even remember him as a player but he was a captain. OK, having Robinson is probably something - he's a former head coach with an uninspiring record, but seems to be a killer recruiter. Do we really think any of these guys are what makes things go at UNC, or are driving the big man development?

-I like that we keep it in the family and, most important, it's what K likes and K, like every other head coach, is what makes Duke go.

Duke assistants get GOOD head coaching jobs. Johnny to Stanford, Tommy to Seton Hall, Quinn to Misouri, Brey to Delaware. Johnny received many inquiries, but chose not to leave until his kids were older (he even let youger assistants travel for recruiting to spend more time at home with his family).

There are 2 main issues for ADs hiring head coaches, picking a good coach, and appearing to pick a good coach. Perhaps Duke assistants were the "safe" picks in pleasing rich boosters, but they were generally considered good coaches.

I think it fair to say that staying "in the family" has generated good coaches. Much of that is that Coach K gets to intimately know the young men as basketball players and can judge their potential as leaders and coaches. Of course, they are also already acclimated to what Coach K expects from individuals and teams.

Chris Collins will get either a very high level job (BCS conference) or a mid major job in the Chicago area, where he has tremendous recruiting ties. He may have been waiting for the team USA commitment to run.

Wojo may not get the same level of offers as soon, but he will gain fame as the assistant head coach, and offers will come.

Nate seems to be a natural recruiter. CC a natural coach. Spatola is West Point, isn't he? My guess he is highy effective in organization and leadership.

Maybe we should find a way to get Coach K and our assistants some experiences under other coaches, maybe under some of the best coaches in the business. Like maybe the USA national team. That kind of exchange of ideas would certainly stop people from questioning our coaching staff. Oh, maybe not.

Add to the equation the number of Dukies in the media that sit in on practices throughout the nation, particlarly Bilas; I would bet that there is a free flow of ideas that keep the program moving forward.

I don't get it...

Hi,

The man (Coach K) has won 3 national championships and gone to a bunch of Final Fours along with numerous ACC Titles (that is technically winning the ACC tournament) as well as finishing first in the ACC a bunch of times. Why prey tell is it believed that he either can't coach or recognize coaching talent? Even John Wooden, YES John Wooden made mistakes in both evaluating talent and during games. PLEASE, if the players we thought were going to stay had stayed, etc. we would have a few more banners hanging the rafters of Cameron. There is nothing wrong with the coaching staff. Other schools wish they had our coaches and cohesion.

There will come a day when Coach K retires and these same people will be like, "This guy is no Coach K, Coach K knew how to put together a coaching staff that won." "Coach K never would have let x,y, or z happen." Enjoy what is transpiring. Our team looks awesome.

GO DUKE

I ran into Tommy Amaker in the RDU airport many years ago when he was an assistant going on a recruiting trip and (he was as nice as hell) when I asked him why he hadn't taken a head coaching job he told me that Coach K only referred him to large basketball schools and that he made a nice amount of nickels running camps.
    ~rthomas

Great Coaches

Great Coaches rarely start out at the top. They usually earn their stripes/reputation over a period of time. Wojo, Collins, Nate, if he's even considered a coach has yet to do so. In order to gain respect in the broader contextual basketball world, they will need to leave the nest of K, and establish their own credentials, experiences and philosophies. Until that happens, they will continue to be viewed as K clones and yes men.

I would like to see K bring in either an outsider, or someone older than he, or at least his counterpart; similar to USA coaching staff. Yes he has won 3 Titles, but as any great coach will tell you: "the players did it."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I would like to see K bring in either an outsider, or someone older than he, or at least his counterpart; similar to USA coaching staff. Yes he has won 3 Titles, but as any great coach will tell you: "the players did it."
    I'm just curious. Is it not "working with outsiders" when a large portion of your staff works with not only USA Basketball teams, coaches, and officials but in addition to that Olympic officials, referees, and athletes?

I love the calls for codes/censorship...

I mean come on.

I was advocating HC jobs for Wojo and Chris. 1)They are ready.2)It's time for some new blood.

K isn't going to be coaching forever.
    The more ex players under K's tutelage the better as far as I'm concerned.

I mean come on.

I was advocating HC jobs for Wojo and Chris. 1)They are ready.2)It's time for some new blood.

K isn't going to be coaching forever.
    The more ex players under K's tutelage the better as far as I'm concerned.
    I don't doubt that Wojo and Chris are able to be successful head coaches. I guess I just don't see why a team that has had great success with them would not want to have them continue on their staff. I'm not sure I understand how having other ex players is better than what we currently have.