Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

MBB: Duke 76, Gonzaga 41

The Devils return to the Garden on Saturday for the annual December treck to NY/Northern NJ against a young Gonzaga team. An experienced and more talented Duke team should prevail pretty handily before a national audience as the CBS anchor game of the day.

The Zags gave Michigan State all they could handle in East Lansing early in the season before falling short, but if Duke shows up focused and ready to play, I don't see any significant match up problems. And Duke has a history of playing well in these games.

Hope to see many Blue Devils despite the forecast of snow. I'm pretty sure Ozzie will be found at the Carnagie Deli.

Should prevail pretty handily?? I don't know about that. Gonzaga is a solid, well coached team.

I remember well our last December encounter with them. It was one of the ugliest games I have ever seen, but I feel confident in calling it one of Greg Paulus' three best games of his career. He literally carried our team to a win in a thousand ways.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Should prevail pretty handily?? I don't know about that. Gonzaga is a solid, well coached team.

I remember well our last December encounter with them. It was one of the ugliest games I have ever seen, but I feel confident in calling it one of Greg Paulus' three best games of his career. He literally carried our team to a win in a thousand ways.
    Isn't that the game where he busted up his face chasing a loose ball? One of my most fond Paulus moments.

Talking

Really? I knew he was strong as a football player, but carrying the whole team would have been impressive.

Ummm. I don't think it's going to be that easy.

it's NEVER in the bag...

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Hope to see many Blue Devils despite the forecast of snow. I'm pretty sure Ozzie will be found at the Carnagie Deli.
    I plan to be there (at the game, not necessarily the Deli).

I'll be there Saturday. Who remembers the Let's Go Paulus chant when he was laying on the floor after he busted up his face diving for a loose ball?

Hope to see many Blue Devils despite the forecast of snow.

My husband and I leave tomorrow for NY. Can't wait. My first time at MSG. I will be proudly wearing #30 jersey. Go Duke!

I attended that last Duke/Zag game and, at the end of that season, despite beating higher ranked teams, I felt like it was the high water mark of the season.

It's hard to get a read on the Zags. The won Maui with a big comeback against Cincinnati, handled Wisconsin easily in the same tournament, and the loss to Wake is kind of tough to read because their 3rd leading scorer, Elias Harris, got thrown out in the 1st half for throwing a forearm into Chas MacFarland's neck (come on, who hasn't wanted to do that?)

The Scheyer/Bouldin match-up should be great to watch, similar in size, both leaders of their teams, seniors, etc.

It's really a match-up of tall backcourts, Gonzaga goes 6'5", 6'5" with their starters, we match-up roughly the same. They are getting 30 of their 80PPG out of their backcourt (Bouldin and Gray).

Back to Harris - he's their best pro prospect and is shedding those freshman cobwebs to start surging. He had a big 27pt game against Davidson in their last game and was described and Chad Ford has an ESPN Insider piece up today that talks about how he's leapt up NBA draft boards with his play.

I am thinking that Singler draws that assignment.

This is a tough one to call. You'd think the balance tips in Duke's favor because of the familiarity with MSG and the "home" crowd, but this Zag team has a pretty high upside and seem to have strength where we have strength.

I will be there as well, looking foward to it. Second time in the Garden, last time I wasn't happy. 2007 game versus Pitt, when we had a big lead and lost in OT on Fields 3 pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I attended that last Duke/Zag game and, at the end of that season, despite beating higher ranked teams, I felt like it was the high water mark of the season.

It's hard to get a read on the Zags. The won Maui with a big comeback against Cincinnati, handled Wisconsin easily in the same tournament, and the loss to Wake is kind of tough to read because their 3rd leading scorer, Elias Harris, got thrown out in the 1st half for throwing a forearm into Chas MacFarland's neck (come on, who hasn't wanted to do that?)

The Scheyer/Bouldin match-up should be great to watch, similar in size, both leaders of their teams, seniors, etc.

It's really a match-up of tall backcourts, Gonzaga goes 6'5", 6'5" with their starters, we match-up roughly the same. They are getting 30 of their 80PPG out of their backcourt (Bouldin and Gray).

Back to Harris - he's their best pro prospect and is shedding those freshman cobwebs to start surging. He had a big 27pt game against Davidson in their last game and was described and Chad Ford has an ESPN Insider piece up today that talks about how he's leapt up NBA draft boards with his play.

I am thinking that Singler draws that assignment.

This is a tough one to call. You'd think the balance tips in Duke's favor because of the familiarity with MSG and the "home" crowd, but this Zag team has a pretty high upside and seem to have strength where we have strength.

Is Matt Bouldin really 6'5? I thougt coming in that Nolan would be better off guarding Bouldin and Scheyer would guard Steven Gray because of his length. Overall, I think both teams match up really well with each other. Sacre down low will be a good test for Mason and Miles, Harris and Singler will be a good match up. It should be a fun game to watch. Both well coached teams who can shoot the ball and has some depth inside.

I say Duke pulls away at the end 77-67

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post

I say Duke pulls away at the end 77-67
    That sounds right to me, too.
    3/4 of the weezie brigade will be there but I have to leave the sequined sneakers at home since we have to go to a grown-up dinner afterwards

I am looking forward to those Harp lagers with the pretzel in the mug handle, though!

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    I think you're underestimating the Devils, and you conveniently quoted my statement out of context by excluding the proviso if the Devils bring the A game.

The Zags are indeed well coached, but this year the Zags don't have the experience and the talent of seasons past. For what it's worth, Pomeroy and Sagrin project a 16 and 10 point Duke win, respectively, which is pretty handily by my definition. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by 77devil; 12-17-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    That sounds right to me, too.
    3/4 of the weezie brigade will be there but I have to leave the sequined sneakers at home since we have to go to a grown-up dinner afterwards

I am looking forward to those Harp lagers with the pretzel in the mug handle, though!

Mmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    I will be there as well, looking foward to it. Second time in the Garden, last time I wasn't happy. 2007 game versus Pitt, when we had a big lead and lost in OT on Fields 3 pointer.
    something about little chubby short point guards that eerrk me...

lavance fields, khalid elamin...

any other?

Well Coached

teams always provide tough games for us. Arizona State and Wisconsin are the most recent ones that come to mind. Teams with grit, toughness, high basketball IQ's, and good fundamentals match-up well against us. We should win this one; but anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    something about little chubby short point guards that eerrk me...

lavance fields, khalid elamin...

any other?
    LeVance Fields I didn't mind, Khalid El Amin I couldn't stand! Mateen Cleaves as well. Not sure who you are referring to in the thread. Matt Bouldin? I love Bouldin, he is a beast.