Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bobby Knight is clearly not a Calipari fan

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4752725

"We've gotten into this situation where integrity is really lacking and that's why I'm glad I'm not coaching," he said. "You see we've got a coach at Kentucky [John Calipari], who put two schools on probation and he's still coaching. I really don't understand that."

Ouch.

"integrity is lacking" This is coming from a coach who quit on his team during the season?! Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

really?

BK did graduate his players and, by all accounts, ran a very clean program in terms of recruiting and abiding by NCAA regs.

While I'm not a big BK fan, nor would I want my child to play for him, I do think he comes out way ahead of JC on MY continuum of ethical conduct.

s.i.

from a guy who kicked his OWN SON on national tv...

yay..

I have very mixed emotions about BK. I think sometimes he is boorish and profane, but at other times I find him refreshingly honest and non-PC.

Playing HS sports in the 70's, it was not unusual to be grabbed or pushed or even kicked in the butt by a coach. I never was physically harmed; the antics were usually just for show and effect (picture a boot camp environment). For the most part the kids responded positively to this style of coaching.

Now, most kids would shut down and parents would sue for such things. I am not saying that the ranting, maniacal style is the best or even a good style, but I really never had a problem with it.

The question I ask, is would you rather have your son play for a BK type who may hurt his feelings from time to time, but who teaches your kid how to work hard and play the game honestly, or a Calipari type who may not hurt his feelings but may teach your kid how to take short cuts and skirt the rules by his example?

Obviously, you would want someone who had the best characteristics of both. But if you had to pick, which one would you? I would go with the yelling man of good character over the smoozier with questionable character every time.

I would prefer my son to play for Bobby Knight over John Calipari ANY day. And if he kicked him in the rear end on national television I would laugh mine off...unless I was close enough to high five him.

Knight is a true paradox...

He demanded discipline from his players, but could not consistently exhibit discipline in his own behavior.

Still, with regard to rules compliance, his record is as good as anyone's, ever. This is a guy who benched his star (Alford) for a game against Kentucky for posing for a charity calendar, without knowing what the NCAA punishment would be.

I also suspect Knight's dislike for Cal stems at least in part to Cal's high-level connections to the AAU world, which Knight holds responsible for basically everything wrong with college basketball.

dukemsu

Go General! In this PC world it's nice to see a man tell what he thinks and not just what his audience wants to hear. One things for sure, he (Coach Knight) could never be elected President of the United States.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Coach Knight has his flaws but integrity is not one of them. I would not have chosen to play for him. I'm not sure I would want a son playing for him either. It would depend on his motivation level. I he were self motivated - probably not, but if he were a bit lazy - oh yeah! I served in the army so my attitudes are a bit skewed, but the slippery one (Cal) would not be considered a leader for me or mine. Whether you like Coach Knight or not, it is so refreshing to hear an honest thought once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    I would prefer my son to play for Bobby Knight over John Calipari ANY day. And if he kicked him in the rear end on national television I would laugh mine off...unless I was close enough to high five him.
    I agree completely. BK is one of the best college basketball coaches and minds of ALL time (said in my kanye west impression)

regardless of if you agree with some of his antics or actions. you can't refute that

One thing

We all know Coach Knight won NCAA championships and his teams were never in trouble with the NCAA. Cal can't make that statement. Go Duke!

#1 all time in my book... at least for now

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    We all know Coach Knight won NCAA championships and his teams were never in trouble with the NCAA. Cal can't make that statement. Go Duke!
    No kidding, Cal has never even sniffed at the Final Four...

Are you guys seriously finding more fault in Knight than Calipari?

I am not surprised that Calipari is still coaching college hoops, but I am surprised he is now coaching one of the historically best college basketball programs.

I'd love to hear Wooden's true opinion of Calipari.

Quote Originally Posted by striker219 View Post
    No kidding, Cal has never even sniffed at the Final Four...
    Well....this statement is ironically true....seeing as that nice final four banner at memphis is sittingin the garbage somewhere....
    1200. DDMF.

Calipari

The biggest surprise to me is not that Knight has spoken the truth, but that Calipari actually goes to mass:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/co...y/1388296.html

I liked Cal's response better

Exclamation Caulkins article today in Memphis CA: "Spotlight" on "scoundrel coach"

And the scoundrel is not Knight!
    Best regards and Merry Christmas and Happy Other Holidays--Blueprofessor

It's funny, I'm 35 years old, enough to be removed from my dad's era of iron fisted coached but not close enough to this era's kids who are coached in many instances with rubber gloves. While growing up in the mid-late 80's to early-mid 90's, I experienced both types of coaches while playing basketball through high school (had friends on the college team whose coach was tough), while most were of the older, in your face with discipline type coaches whose teams reflected this both in character and results on the court compared to the one or two who were more laid back and let them teams be a little out of control while not having the best results. Even then, and even more know, I appreciate the coaches who were in my face with yelling with even an occassional accidental bump rather than the one's who coddled us. The ones who coached us hard taught us more valuable life lessons, on the court and in both my personal and professional lives later on. As much as they were hard on us on the court, they were the ones in the end who cared the most for us. They followed up with us on how college was treating us, what was going on in our lives at 25 years old, did we have families and showing up for fellow teammates parents funerals, etc. I guess what I'm saying is this, sometimes tough love is the best love, especially for 16, 17 year old kids who need a lil extra hounding when they don't get it at home or from friends when everyone thinks they are "special". Maybe I'm a different breed and strong willed and can take some harsh criticism, but coach Knight would have been a coach I would love to have played for! Given, if was that good to have been recruited by him, which obviously I wasn't...LOLLLL

You sound like the father of a teen-aged son!

OK, don't get mad at me, I'm just funning....