Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    We all know Coach Knight won NCAA championships and his teams were never in trouble with the NCAA. Cal can't make that statement. Go Duke!
    No kidding, Cal has never even sniffed at the Final Four...

  2. #22
    Are you guys seriously finding more fault in Knight than Calipari?

    I am not surprised that Calipari is still coaching college hoops, but I am surprised he is now coaching one of the historically best college basketball programs.

    I'd love to hear Wooden's true opinion of Calipari.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Knight reminds me of General George Patton. Patton was brilliant on the field of battle, but a nightmare for the politicians.
    Knight would relish such a comparison having a West Point connection and also being a student of history. The parallels in terms of success, demands for discipline, incidents lacking self-discipline, and speaking one's mind, to name a few, are readily apparent. Obviously, neither Patton or Knight cared much about political correctness in their respective times. Unfortunately, the truth of what someone like a Patton or Knight might say is sometimes minimized or disregarded by others due to reputation and living a somewhat paradoxical life.

    Coach K is a wonder given the fact that Knight was such an influence. It seems that he was able to model the positive/admirable characteristics of Knight without taking on all of the bombast and lack of self-discipline. Knight has sometimes been the strong and powerful, but unbridled horse while Coach K has had that strength and success controlled by the bit of self-discipline.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by striker219 View Post
    No kidding, Cal has never even sniffed at the Final Four...
    Well.....this statement is ironically true.....seeing as that nice final four banner at memphis is sittingin the garbage somewhere.....
    usa

  5. #25

    Calipari

    The biggest surprise to me is not that Knight has spoken the truth, but that Calipari actually goes to mass:

    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/co...y/1388296.html

  6. #26
    I liked Cal's response better

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Florida and Montana

    Exclamation Caulkins article today in Memphis CA: "Spotlight" on "scoundrel coach"

    And the scoundrel is not Knight!
    Best regards and Merry Christmas and Happy Other Holidays--Blueprofessor

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Devil View Post
    Knight would relish such a comparison having a West Point connection and also being a student of history. The parallels in terms of success, demands for discipline, incidents lacking self-discipline, and speaking one's mind, to name a few, are readily apparent. Obviously, neither Patton or Knight cared much about political correctness in their respective times. Unfortunately, the truth of what someone like a Patton or Knight might say is sometimes minimized or disregarded by others due to reputation and living a somewhat paradoxical life.

    Coach K is a wonder given the fact that Knight was such an influence. It seems that he was able to model the positive/admirable characteristics of Knight without taking on all of the bombast and lack of self-discipline. Knight has sometimes been the strong and powerful, but unbridled horse while Coach K has had that strength and success controlled by the bit of self-discipline.
    One of the things that I learned over my 20 years in the military is that you learn as much if not more from poor leaders than you do from good leaders.

    K is a very, very intelligent man, so I am sure that he filtered out the bad aspects of Knight's style (self control and speaking before thinking for instance) and took the good (work ethic, demanding 100% from players, integrity, etc...)

  9. #29

    Knight - lesser of 2 evils makes him wise?

    Bob Knight has some truth in his comments, and while being a tough-skinned UK fan, I feel like he chose a poor forum to do it in front of. Why not just say it when he is going to be in Lexington for Gameday on ESPN on the 13th? BK criticizing anyone for integrity is like saying he beats his wife, but at least he's never once cheated on her. Very underwhelming.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    I would prefer my son to play for Bobby Knight over John Calipari ANY day. And if he kicked him in the rear end on national television I would laugh mine off...unless I was close enough to high five him.
    You sound like the father of a teen-aged son!

    OK, don't get mad at me, I'm just funning.....

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by KYtotheCore View Post
    Bob Knight has some truth in his comments, and while being a tough-skinned UK fan, I feel like he chose a poor forum to do it in front of. Why not just say it when he is going to be in Lexington for Gameday on ESPN on the 13th? BK criticizing anyone for integrity is like saying he beats his wife, but at least he's never once cheated on her. Very underwhelming.
    The debate over Knight's credibility and timing are diversions from the obvious truth of his point. Knight's comments are laudable, if for no other reason than college basketball's talking heads need break the code of silence that protects shady coaches. Bilas and Vitale were Calipari apologists and most other ESPN commentators stayed slient. The only ESPN commentator I remember publicly questioning UK's hiring of Calipari was Pat Forde. There's a lot of blame to go around (agents, shoe companies, coaches, schools, the NCAA), but ESPN certainly hasn't been part of the solution. Good for Knight.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shady Cove, OR

    ESPN is sticking with Knight this time

    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    The debate over Knight's credibility and timing are diversions from the obvious truth of his point. Knight's comments are laudable, if for no other reason than college basketball's talking heads need break the code of silence that protects shady coaches. Bilas and Vitale were Calipari apologists and most other ESPN commentators stayed slient. The only ESPN commentator I remember publicly questioning UK's hiring of Calipari was Pat Forde. There's a lot of blame to go around (agents, shoe companies, coaches, schools, the NCAA), but ESPN certainly hasn't been part of the solution. Good for Knight.
    I was home sick yesterday and had ESPN on most of the afternoon. On "First and Ten" Jamelle Hill and Skip Bayless both agreed with BK's comments. On "Around the Horn" there was 100% agreement. Jackie Mac Mullen even said (paraphrasing) that sports journalists including herself, should be ashamed for not bringing it up sooner. Woody Paige said that he has had conversations with Knight where Bobby has given him specific examples of coaches who break NCAA rules. PTI also backed BK's statements. In another show Doug Gottlieb debated Mike DeCourcy. Doug agreed with Bobby - Mike was the only one who backed Calipari yesterday in the debates.

    I would be curious as to how Jay Bilas would respond to Knight's integrity in coaching comments. I have long believed that most sports journalists know full well what is going on and choose to look the other way - they simply don't want to rock the boat.

    Good for Bobby Knight to have the courage to say what he feels is detrimental to the sport he loves so much. I don't like his bullying tactics from his coaching days, but I do admire him for speaking the truth and not minding stirring the pot. Of course, I have always suspected that he likes being embroiled in controversy, but that's another discussion.
    Coach K: "Everybody wants to take responsibility when you win, but when you fail, all these fingers are pointing."

Similar Threads

  1. The Calipari Loophole Closes
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 12:53 AM
  2. Jay Bilas defending Coach Calipari
    By sbpollo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
  3. Calipari promises title within five years
    By eightyearoldsdude in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-21-2009, 06:43 PM
  4. Calipari and the LOI: a discussion of recruiting ethics
    By Wheat/"/"/" in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 05:31 PM
  5. Calipari
    By The1Bluedevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 11:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •