Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ryan Kelly's shooting form

Howdy all,

So, I have been noticing that something about Ryan Kelly's shooting form seems very unusual... I don't know if it is his body position, or where he releases the ball, or what, but it is certainly not a common form. Does anyone who has seen more of Ryan play know; is this his usual, McDonalds-3pt-winning form, or has it changed a bit? Does form necessarily dictate shooting accuracy? I know guys like Andre have beautiful form (watching that wrist flick gives me goosebumps) but can a guy with... unique form still be a top level shooter?

I have noticed too that a lot of his made perimeter shots appear to be off pull-ups. Whereas in the catch and shoot scenario he hasn't produced as much.

I have played and watched a lot of ball over the years and seen some beautiful forms and some hideous....but as long as the ball goes through the net is what counts. I guess it comes down to what is comfortable to the individual. Guys like Andre and JJ had beautiful, textbook shooting forms with the shooting elbow in, forming that right angle at the elbow, releasing from in front of the forehead area and that flick of the wrist mentioned above. (watch Hoosiers and take a close look at Jimmy's form - awesome!)
    There was a guy from French Lick that comes to my mind that had a somewhat unorthodox style in that the shot almost came from over the head or maybe with the "load up" from the behind the head....maybe it has something to do with being a taller guy ??? For your enjoyment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Qn4JjJ_vc

Just my 2 cents

ARo24

Ryan does have an odd-looking shot sometimes. He seems to lean forward and produce a fairly flat shot. Could be mainly just some nerves and adjustment to the college game; he shot well obviously in the McDonald's 3-point competition...I don't recall the forward lean/flat shot from him there.

He needs to go no further than his suite-mate and freshman teammate Andre Dawkins to observe excellent shooting form.

I can't comment on Kelly's high school shooting form, but I can't imagine that it' has changed drastically. It does look a bit odd, though.

That being said, "bad" form doesn't preclude you from being a good shooter. Reggie Miller, Peja Stojakovic, and Michael Adams are examples of guys who didn't have classically good form but produced good results. The key is the player's ability to repeat a successful release, no matter how that release is generated.

I knew a shorter guy who kind of brought the ball from his right hip around and over his shooting shoulder in kind of a sling-shot type of release. It looked really weird, but he was a great shooter.

It's easier to develop a good touch with "proper" form. But you can be a good shooter with "bad" form, too.

ryan's shooting form

While I would agree that there is no single "right" way to shoot the basketball, successful shooting forms usually have several elements in common. The reason I have been concerned abut Ryan's form is that he appears to be releasing the ball too far in front of him, which is mechanically difficult and leads to him having less arc on the shot than is desirable. He is tall enough that he can get away with it to a certian degree, but to really succeed, he will probably need to alter it somewhat. I am actually surprised he can shoot as well as he can with his current form - he has very little margin for error.

I noticed that Ryan has 9 assists vs. just 2 turnovers so far this season.

Ryan Kelly

It does look weird, its as if he pushes off with his follow thru hand, Instead of letting the ball flow off the finger tips he pushes thru the ball, But the kid is a amazing shooter he just hasnt done it yet for duke but look out for the kid he is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by aro24 View Post
    Guys like Andre and JJ had beautiful, textbook shooting forms with the shooting elbow in, forming that right angle at the elbow, releasing from in front of the forehead area and that flick of the wrist mentioned above. (watch Hoosiers and take a close look at Jimmy's form - awesome!)

Interestingly enough, the actor who played Jimmy Chitwood in Hoosiers was the only actor in the cast of basketball players who never played high school basketball. He did, however, play collegiate golf.

The scene where Gene Hackman is talking to him while he's shooting baskets was done in one take, as was the final shot scene where he hits the shot and the fans rush the court. The plan was to have them rush the floor make or miss, but he made it.

Also, one of the other actors got in trouble with the NCAA because he played at Depaw University at the time of the movie. He had to sit out a couple of games.

My buddy is an actor and is addicted to random facts from IMDB so I always hear them whenever I watch a movie with him. Sometimes annoying, sometimes informative.

Well said

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    While I would agree that there is no single "right" way to shoot the basketball, successful shooting forms usually have several elements in common. The reason I have been concerned abut Ryan's form is that he appears to be releasing the ball too far in front of him, which is mechanically difficult and leads to him having less arc on the shot than is desirable. He is tall enough that he can get away with it to a certian degree, but to really succeed, he will probably need to alter it somewhat. I am actually surprised he can shoot as well as he can with his current form - he has very little margin for error.
    There is room for improvement here and he is a smart and dedicated young man, like all our players. He will work things out as time goes on. If he gets a better release point and additional arc, his shot will be very difficult to block. Having a guy his size who can shoot, makes it easier for him to pass into the post, since his defender won't be able to sag off.

Shooting Form

can help a player be more consistent with his makes. Of course the important thing is that the ball goes through the basket. But after watching college basketball for many, many years I can say that the best shooters had at least a decent looking shot. Free throw shooters are almost always the ones that have the best form. Ryan seems like he shoots it right in front of his face with a shot-putt look. I'm afraid some one is going to block it and send it right back at his nose. I can hear the Tar Heels laughing now. I hope he works on his shot and gets better form. One thing the young man can do is make the hi-lo pass. Go Duke!
    Last edited by jv001; 12-16-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling

It seems funny that the staff nor the people that do the player rankings didn't find this a problem as so many posters do. We'll all have to merely wait and see his development over ther years to come.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    It looks like he leads with his shoulder. His shoulders should be square to the bucket. The big thing in my mind is that he doesn't look comfortable shooting. The other guys that have been mentioned in this thread with different shooting forms looked comfortable with their motions. Hopefully Ryan doesn't lose any confidence while he irons out his shooting. He has been taking open shots which is a good sign.

When he won mcdonalds three point contest his form and release reminds me of Dirk Nowitzki.Ryan just doest bring the ball over his head as much.Anyone else see this?

IMO, Kelly's offensive game begins, he feels most comfortable with, the shot off the dribble, inside the defense, with little head or ball fakes, where he gets to exercise dominion over the defense. Once he starts to do that, feels comfortable that he can do that and risk getting stripped, or gets the go ahead to do that from the coaches, then I think his 3 will come along.

I like his ability to create good catches inside the 3 line, but right now, whereever he catches, his first thought seems to be to look for the penetrating pass, which he is very, very good at. My guess would be is that he is under directions to look to that as a first option, and that that takes away from his ability to be himself.

Taylor was asked (directed) to do something similar and could not adjust. Kelly is more versatile and is creative with passing it to bigs in ways and places that bespeak his understanding of the possible with the inside game. Guessing here, but you will not see the best that Kelly has to offer in the offensive game this season for reasons that have not to do with him.

Perhaps we have not seen Kelly at his best in shooting due to his role and comfort level, but the discussion about his form raises an interesting question:

Is it wise to change the mechanics of a player, especially one (like Kelly) who has been successful in shooting the ball at lower levels? If so, would it make sense to do it in the off-season?

Chris Collins did not have textbook form, Jon Scheyer has a sideways rotation on the ball that occasionally costs him a basket...probably others who have had some style issues...

Thoughts?

changing shooting form

I think the decision about whether to attempt to change a players shooting form depends on whether or not the form that they have developed is "scaleable" For most players at high Division 1 level who are recruited based on their perimeter skills, they have had enough success that it would be risky to ask them to completely change what they are doing. But some players have an aspect of their shot that doesn't cause them problems in high school, but that becomes limiting in college or the pros.

For Ryan Kelly, his low release point didn't matter much in high school- he was bigger and more skilled than most of his opponents (it also doesn't matter in exercises like 3 point shooting contests). I think he is going to have a harder time against good upper Division 1 competition, particularly since he is not likely to blow by the defenders.

Jon Scheyer is someone who has succeeded at a high level in college with a more specific problem with his shot- his tendency to shoot with side-spin. Again, I think it is remarkable he shoots as well as he does- it is a real testament to his skill and practice habits. But I am concerned that this tendency (which I think is caused when he releases the ball a little early, but i can't tell for sure) will hurt his shooting percentage against the better defensive teams in college and limit his offensive effectiveness in the pros, unless he is able to overcome it.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Howdy all,

So, I have been noticing that something about Ryan Kelly's shooting form seems very unusual... I don't know if it is his body position, or where he releases the ball, or what, but it is certainly not a common form. Does anyone who has seen more of Ryan play know; is this his usual, McDonalds-3pt-winning form, or has it changed a bit? Does form necessarily dictate shooting accuracy? I know guys like Andre have beautiful form (watching that wrist flick gives me goosebumps) but can a guy with... unique form still be a top level shooter?
    Larry Bird
    Peja

Weird form, great shooters.
    Last edited by chrisheery; 12-17-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    Larry Bird
    Peja

Weird form, grey shooters.
    Has any one brought up Reggie Miller? His elbow went out side ways.