Thread: Lost 5/2

Lost 5/2

Someone lead me to believe that this episode will reveal a lot of answers. And consequently, I am more than a little bummed out.

I will process the pieces later - I certainly don't believe they are in Hell.

Next week looks pretty powerful. I can accept this week as a set up for that.

Exiled

I felt this episode to be a setup episode as well. I wish I had been surprised when Locke's dad ended up being Sawyer, but I wasn't. I think they gave too much away in the previews, but maybe it was obvious for other reasons.

I came away from this episode a) feeling terrible for Sawyer (James), b) being really disgusted with Locke and c) and being frustrated with Jack for getting all huffy about not being included and then not telling Kate what was up.

In fact, other than Sawyer, I came away with a little less respect for basically every character in the show.

They didn't pull for enough dramatic effect on the father thing--they had already practically told us about that one.

As for losing repect for the characters--isn't that one of the lessons of the island, that people shift their perspectives, or at least the viewers shifts their perspectives? People kidnap their friends and hold guns to heads and lie about injuries and manipulate and lie, etc., etc. They get shown to be complex, if perhaps extreme versions of who we all are.

Locke manipulated, but perhaps he needed to be the con man of the two con men.

Who knows what is going on with Jack? He'd been acting so weird that it's hard to imagine that skeptical Kate would be the one to spill the Portugese beans, but she does love the guy after all...

As for death/hell. If the island ramps up the ability to wish for what you want, then perhaps the only way to get them across into the island is for them to "die" in real life, which is why Ben says they can't go back.

I'm not sure that it was Locke, however, who wished the con man father onto the island. Perhaps it was Sawyer (or Sawyer and Locke combined).

Hmm... Perhaps Lost is actually simply a forum in which a dozen really excellent actors get to demonstrate their range.

I agree that last night was a set-up for next week. In fact, all of these episodes are setting us up for the grand finale in a few weeks. I thought that it was pretty good drama though. Can't wait for the next episode, but I wonder if someone shoots JR (or something like that) in the final show of the season. Then we'll have to wait until next January to see who did it. In the meantime I'll just wonder how Juliet gets her comeuppance when Sawyer gets back, and what happens to Jack as a result, and what happened to the couple that was buried alive. Also, does Ben know about the parachute gal? If he doesn't, he'll soon know, won't he? Anything else I should be worrying about? Oh, yeah, that guy who gave Locke the file on Sawyer -- didn't he introduce himself as Richard? I have a recollection of seeing him before as a Dharma executive in an earlier show or flashback. Devious guy, isn't he?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I have a recollection of seeing him before as a Dharma executive in an earlier show or flashback. Devious guy, isn't he?
    That would be Richard Alpert, who we first saw as a representative of Mittelos Bioscience who recruited Juliet. He's also the one that Ben called up on the satellite feed to produce proof that Juliet's sister was still alive and healthy. We should learn a lot more about Mr. Alpert next week, in Ben's flashback episode.

Was I the only one who was incredibly baffled when Jack convinced Juliet NOT to tell Kate whatever it was Juliet wanted to tell her. I was literally yelling at the television that the entire camp should take both Juliet and Jack prisoner immediately after that event. I have a tendency to be a little harsh when imagining what I would do in the situation, but to me that was the straw the broke the camel's back. If I had been Kate, I would have immediately rounded up Sayid et. al and tied them both up and made them talk. Jack hasn't done anything to help his case and he should pay the price, IMO, plain and simple.

What was Jack talking about? Anybody have a clue? What secret could he & Juliet have, & why not tell Kate, hasn't he always trusted her before? Could it just be that Sun is doomed, or is it something else?

On the good acting... I loved the look on Sayid's face when the RPC pulled out the Sat-phone & said something about not rescueing him... to convey so much just by expression alone... very good acting. There had better be a truck load of Emmy's rumbling through the island jungle!

Next week looks interesting, I sense something building towards the finale, (How many episodes left this season?) but I have not even come close to figuring it out. What will be the big "Aha!" moment, & the big cliffhanger, in the finale? Any guesses?
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

I hadn't realized that his name was Richard Alpert. Leave it to the Californians to insert the name of one of the great yogi/psychedelic/convert/teachers. Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Alpert

Oh, and I am getting less worried about the grand finale or the ultimate secret. It seems possible that even as/when the secret is unfurled, the merry band of castaways will still be interesting to watch.

By the way, the emphasis on Jack and Juliet being bad sort of means that they will have a good explanation for their actions, doesn't it?

I've just been thinking about Locke and Rousseau's weird little exchange in the Black Rock. Maybe she's loading up on dynamite for a thrilling attempt to get Alex back?

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post

Next week looks interesting, I sense something building towards the finale, (How many episodes left this season?) but I have not even come close to figuring it out. What will be the big "Aha!" moment, & the big cliffhanger, in the finale? Any guesses?
    My guess was that the ultimate cliffhanger from this season involves the "black box" as Ben put it. However, there was a clip in the preview for next week where Ben let Locke into the room to show him what it's all about. So my theory was wrong, unless that preview was for the final three episodes, and not for just next week.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    My guess was that the ultimate cliffhanger from this season involves the "black box" as Ben put it. However, there was a clip in the preview for next week where Ben let Locke into the room to show him what it's all about. So my theory was wrong, unless that preview was for the final three episodes, and not for just next week.
    My guess is that the the preview will be completely misleading, and we won't learn answers to any important questions next week.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    My guess is that the the preview will be completely misleading, and we won't learn answers to any important questions next week.
    No way. That never ever ever happens.

well sometimes...

I actually stopped watching the "previews for next week". I find that I put too much thought into it, and the show for the following week loses some of it zing. Like the request by Locke to Sawyer to come with him to kill Ben was in last weeks preview. Even though it was not Ben, you had to see it coming. We already figured that Locke was going to trick Sawyer somehow. So, about 10 seconds into the journey you knew that it was going to be Locke's dad. I can't wait however until next week.

14. Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    I actually stopped watching the "previews for next week". I find that I put too much thought into it, and the show for the following week loses some of it zing. Like the request by Locke to Sawyer to come with him to kill Ben was in last weeks preview. Even though it was not Ben, you had to see it coming. We already figured that Locke was going to trick Sawyer somehow. So, about 10 seconds into the journey you knew that it was going to be Locke's dad. I can't wait however until next week.
    My wife and I figured out that the guy under the hood was not Ben, but Cooper/The Real Sawyer about 30 seconds after we watched that preview. Which did kind of spoil it for us. But we would have figured it out pretty quickly anyway. This week's episode was not that suspenseful for anyone who's been watching the show closely, but it was still pretty darn entertaining.

BlueD:
    I'd be in favor of your listing your blog each week in case there are new folks who might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    BlueD:
    I'd be in favor of your listing your blog each week in case there are new folks who might be interested.

Heck, I'll do it for him.

Begging to Differ. Best LOST blog posts on the Web. Seriously. Check it out.