View Poll Results: Michael Buffer: Love the Intros or Hate Them?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • They Rock My World!

6 2.87%
  • They Annoy The Crap Out Of Me

157 75.12%
  • I have better things to think about

46 22.01%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I don't like them - I think they are really corny. But I would be curious to know what the players think about them. Given that they last all of about 45 seconds what we think about them seems to be much ado about nothing. If the players like them I hope they stay, irrespective of how I or other fans feel about them.
    I am with AllenMurray, if the introductions help get the players pumped I'd say keep them, but to the fans in the stands they are horrible. Good for the Coundown to Craziness, but I would have ended them there.

I agree with Imafacultywife

The "you suck" is more disappointing than Michael Buffer. I would think that a student body with the supposed intelligence of Duke's could come up with a more inventive greeting than the University of Maryland. I think the Buffer intros should be saved for special events--when it is done every night it loses it panache.

That type of intro just doesn't fit in Cameron. Let's get back to our classic style; this is not the NBA; it's Duke basketball in Cameron and that speaks for itself!

Quote Originally Posted by RaineyDevil View Post
    I've been to a few Wake games the last few years and they have an incredible intoduciton. They black out the building and play a highlight video. Then the Decon comes out to "Welcome to the Jungle" on a chopper and revs the engine as the players are intoduced. It really gets the crowd and players going. They have a "buffer-esque" announcer.
    I am a Wake grad, and I HATE the cheesy intro there.

I wouldn't mind going back to the spotlight intros from the old days, but leave the canned crap out. Our crowds are plenty loud for our players without it.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    The "you suck" is more disappointing than Michael Buffer. I would think that a student body with the supposed intelligence of Duke's could come up with a more inventive greeting than the University of Maryland.
    I couldn't agree more ... I'm not sure how the "you suck" thing got started at Cameron, but it seems to be catching on more and more at each game. Perhaps a mandate from on high could put a stop to it?

As far as the Buffer intros, I didn't mind them at Countdown to Craziness (somehow seemed more appropriate there!), but it's getting old pretty quickly. Just a little too cheesy.

I find these intros crass and brazen and in no way appropriate to a college basketball game.

I hate the Michael Buffer intros. I am among those who have written Duke athletics and Iron Dukes about them. I know of 1 high dollar donor who will not go to his seat until the intro is over - his way of voicing his displeasure.
    Hopefully, someone who can make a decision about this will read DBR to get a general feel about the intros.

can i change my vote to hate it

I haven't heard this BUT the poll is overwhelming. It's bad. It's very bad. I guess I'd like to hear how the players feel about it.

But what can be done about it?
    ~rthomas

So now what? Are the DBR "powers that be" going to take these concerns and opinions to somebody over at the basketball office?

Quote Originally Posted by amyindurham View Post
    I couldn't agree more ... I'm not sure how the "you suck" thing got started at Cameron, but it seems to be catching on more and more at each game. Perhaps a mandate from on high could put a stop to it?

As far as the Buffer intros, I didn't mind them at Countdown to Craziness (somehow seemed more appropriate there!), but it's getting old pretty quickly. Just a little too cheesy.
    is the "you suck" thing new? just two years ago we were pretty set on "Hi Raymond!" or whatever the poor opponent's name was. have the crazies reverted to the old way?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Appropriate For CTC Only

I was at CTC and thought it was great having Buffer there doing the intro's that night. And the players also got to pick their own song to be played while they were being introduced. For the setting and event that night, it was actually pretty cool.

That said, I too hate them at the regular games. Especially given they are just playing a recording. I feel it ruins the mood of the crowd verses actually getting everyone pumped up.

I am not against change. Change is good. But this is one change that has flopped and needs to be modified. I would prefer Dr. Chandler, but like others I would like to know what the players think and feel their voice should carry more weight in the decision.

There was always such a rush when the PA announcer would personally provide an intro

"...and at forward, standing 6-8 from Birmingham, Michigan..." crowd becomes so loud the rest isn't really audible. Now THAT is Cameron Indoor.

FAKE

it seems fake and not at all what Duke basketball is about, please get rid of it or him.

One thing for certain

... I do not have better things to think about.

GO DEVILS!!!

Unless it can be shown that recruits are somehow swayed into coming to Duke because of Michael Buffer's canned intros, or that the players are really thrilled by them, Duke does not need this stuff.

I can only surmise that the intros are a way to counter what potential Duke players might see (or be told to see) as a staid, old-fashioned program. I would not be surprised to find out that Coach K might have suggested that somebody find a way to make the Duke image more palatable to a "flash-bang" oriented teen crowd. What they came up with is old-school Michael Buffer?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    The "you suck" is more disappointing than Michael Buffer. I would think that a student body with the supposed intelligence of Duke's could come up with a more inventive greeting than the University of Maryland. I think the Buffer intros should be saved for special events--when it is done every night it loses it panache.
    Ditto. I thought the sarcastic "Hi Billy!" is way better, funnier, and far more original than "Hi Billy... YOU SUCK!"

Now, for awhile there was a phase were they did the "Hi" alone, and just did "Hi... YOU SUCK" to UNC. Reserving sucking for the Heels made a lot of sense to me.

But all the time? Takes something original and different and turns it into just another cheer.

Regarding the intros, I voted "other things to worry about." Not that I like them (or am even indifferent to them), I don't and I'm not. There's a wannabe aspect to them, and an aspect of being like everyone else.

But I just see it as the ESPNization of everything good about sports. Pretty inevitable.

"You suck" is beneath us.

Glad to hear that a few of you are in my corner when it comes to the "you suck" sucking! Coach has called a halt to far less repulsive and unclassy things. Why doesn't he do something about THIS?!

Even if it were funny, why do the crazies insist on doing something so VERY old hat in the first place?
    Love, Ima

No

As is often said of the Chicago White Sox "Disco Demolition Night," this is a bad idea terribly executed.

If it were 1998, there might be a shred of originality or freshness here which could help mitigate the fact that this is totally unnecessary.

As it's no longer 1998, there's no originality or freshness here. Instead, we have a sad admixture of desperation, overcommercialization, cheesiness and bad marketing consultant breath all over this idea.

So we're left with just a grating, totally lame way of unnecessarily shredding tradition. Duke basketball shouldn't, and doesn't, need gimmicks. We're on the slippery slope to turning off the lights and bringing out the dry ice and laser light shows for introductions now. It's all lame and deeply uncool. I don't care if the players like it - 18 year olds think all kinds of embarrassing things are cool; it's our job to disabuse them of such notions.

Now, can we work on those HIDEOUS uniforms next? That barely visible surface pattern is worthy of pajamas, not one of the winningest programs in college basketball history. They look like someone found leftover fabric in the Duke Store basement from a poorly selling tie that hit the market in 1993. I demand a new poll!

- Old Curmudgeon

My sister-in-law went to tonight's game with me (her 1st game of the season). I didn't warn her in advance of the new introductions. During them, she leaned over and said, "What is this crap??!!"