View Poll Results: Michael Buffer: Love the Intros or Hate Them?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • They Rock My World!

6 2.87%
  • They Annoy The Crap Out Of Me

157 75.12%
  • I have better things to think about

46 22.01%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Michael Buffer Intros - Love them or hate them?

We're curious what people think about the recorded Buffer intros. Do you love them? Hate them? Could care less? Just hit the poll and maybe add a quick comment.

completely unnecessary, and almost embarrassing. the old intros gave me chills (in a good way), these just make me gag.

I hate them hate them hate them! And so does everyone else I've asked about them, both inside Cameron and out.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

They are pretty dreadful. Once as a gag might have been humorous but all season? Ugh.

The Buffer treatment is antithetical to Duke Basketball.

My thirteen year old daughter, when she first heard Buffer, said "make him stop! What are they thinking". She went on to say it sounded fake and that whoever would let him do that must not think Duke Basketball is exciting on its own.
    GTHC

I'm an old man, and I fear change. I hated when Nixon took us off the gold standard, and I hate these newfangled Michael Buffer introductions.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some kids to chase off my lawn.

The volume is so high as to make it more difficult to hear and discern what is being said. The tone of such canned announcements seems more at home in a huge arena hosting "professional" wrestling. Cameron is famous as a more intimate environment, not a super sized carnival like venue. Updating from time to time is part of evolving, but this change doesn't add to the real excitement and markets the Duke brand in a way that is sort of cheap and plastic.

Awful!

I think the canned intros are the cheesiest thing they've ever tried in Cameron. It's akin to the canned cheering in the Dean Dome a few years back. Art Chandler is an icon and should be allowed to do the Duke intros for as long as he possibly can.

I also think the volume in the speakers is set way too high. I have to plug my ears when the videos come on b/c I sit directly beneath a speaker (section 16).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I don't like them - I think they are really corny. But I would be curious to know what the players think about them. Given that they last all of about 45 seconds what we think about them seems to be much ado about nothing. If the players like them I hope they stay, irrespective of how I or other fans feel about them.

Nothing inventive, clever or exciting about the Buffer tirades. They are tired, old, stupid and out of place in Cameron. But, I'm even more disappointed and embarrassed in "you suck" yelled by the students... also not inventive, but equally tired, old, stupid and out of place in Cameron. PLEASE make them both stop!!! Both break my heart enough to make me consider just arriving late.
    Love, Ima

We can do Better

my group was mortified at the St John's game . It was a step away from World Federation Wrestling ! The harmonica national anthem was a bit dicey too, but I assume this was a one time deal . A Definite sell out !

Michael Buffer Announcements

I was shocked when I first heard them, but I thought I'd give them a chance. They are no better now. They have no connection with Duke, they actually appear to detract from the student / fan support during intros, and they're not in any way clever or innovative.

I hope Duke has the sense to get rid of them.

Thanks.

It's terrible and kills grad student momentum going into the game from where I've been standing. Buffer licensing rights are also a silly expense if Duke athletics are indeed over budget as suggested by the Chronicle.

Hate. Think the players also look uncomfortable during the intros.

Hate it. I thought that the intro during the C2C was appropriate, but I also thought that it would be a one time thing.

I'm sorry - but I don't understand.

Are they actually using Michael Buffer's voice, or is it just a "Michael Buffer-style" introduction?

If the former, and if they are using "let's get ready to rumble", they are going to get sued. Buffer charges $1million for each use of that.

If the latter, without even having heard it yet, I am sick to my stomach.

Intros

Has anyone been to other ACC games outside of CIS?

I've been to a few Wake games the last few years and they have an incredible intoduciton. They black out the building and play a highlight video. Then the Decon comes out to "Welcome to the Jungle" on a chopper and revs the engine as the players are intoduced. It really gets the crowd and players going. They have a "buffer-esque" announcer.

I know Duke would never fall into antics like that, but I was curious to see what other ACC schools did for their player intros...

Quote Originally Posted by j(ay)mike View Post
    I'm sorry - but I don't understand.

Are they actually using Michael Buffer's voice, or is it just a "Michael Buffer-style" introduction?

If the former, and if they are using "let's get ready to rumble", they are going to get sued. Buffer charges $1million for each use of that.

If the latter, without even having heard it yet, I am sick to my stomach.
    It's Buffer himself. He recorded the intros specifically for Duke to use, so he won't be suing.

I have a question...

Did he record more than one version of each player's name? The reason I ask is that I hated the Buffer intros, but at the last game it seemed like a different set was used...with the difference being that each name seemed about 3 seconds shorter (especially Krzyzewski and Plumlee) and were a lot easier to get through that way. Of course, maybe they were the same as they had been all season and I'm acclimating.

I agree with allenmurray though. If the players like them, I think we should keep them. Especially if recruits like them. Obviously nobody is going to choose Duke solely based on player intros, but as they say...its the little things.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Did he record more than one version of each player's name? The reason I ask is that I hated the Buffer intros, but at the last game it seemed like a different set was used...with the difference being that each name seemed about 3 seconds shorter (especially Krzyzewski and Plumlee) and were a lot easier to get through that way. Of course, maybe they were the same as they had been all season and I'm acclimating.
    I too noticed that the syllabic emphasis was different, and shorter, for some of the names at the last game. Now, if only we could get the entire routine down another 90%....
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com