Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Jalen Rose just become my favorite analyst

On FirstTake on ESPN this morning, Jalen Rose and Skip Bayless were discussing on 1st and 10 whether LeBron James showboats too much.

Jalen started off by saying, and this is basically an exact quote...

"The first kid in that video, from UNC, Danny Green, needs to sit down and shut up. He had issues with showboating in college but he got it done then. He needs to sit down until he does something."

I knew I liked Jalen for a reason

No offense, but you must not be old enough to remember some of the epic Duke/Michigan battles of the early 90's then. There's no one on the Fab Five that would ever be my favorite anything.

On top of being cocky, egotistical players, they brought in the baggy shorts AND handed UNC a championship.

All, inexcuseable.

As a young Duke fan, very little made me happier than watching our clean-cut, team-oriented squads defeat Steve Fisher's teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01 View Post
    No offense, but you must not be old enough to remember some of the epic Duke/Michigan battles of the early 90's then. There's no one on the Fab Five that would ever be my favorite anything.

On top of being cocky, egotistical players, they brought in the baggy shorts AND handed UNC a championship.

All, inexcuseable.

As a young Duke fan, very little made me happier than watching our clean-cut, team-oriented squads defeat Steve Fisher's teams.
    Fab Five's record vs Duke
    0-5

they brought in the baggy shorts
    and? you'd prefer the tighty-shortys?

define "clean cut"

Smile Well,...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

define "clean cut"
    How about Grant Hill's veal chop haircut? The sidewalls were clean as a whistle.

sagegrouse

Please explain

Aaaaaaand it's comments like that that may cause some people to think that Duke is elitist. I may be reading your comments the wrong way but this instantly comes across in an offensive way.

I'm with Moonpie, I want to know what you mean by "clean cut."

Smile The Back Story

Here's the back story. To get the complete picture, you needed to see Joakim Noah start giving his critique. This actually happened, never mind the "dream/nightmare" conceit:

From an earlier thread:
    Or maybe it was a nightmare.

Here’s what I dreamed last night. There was a Cavs-Bulls game in Cleveland. There was a clip of former UNC clown and Cavaliers guard, Danny Green, teaching LeBron James some of Danny’s dance steps.

Then it seemed like during the game, LeBron began to show off some of those steps in a celebration near the Bulls bench. Bulls forward Joakim Noah took exception. I guess Joakim learned dancing from either his father Yannick, tennis star and pop singer, or his mother Cecilia, a former Miss Sweden. A shouting match ensued.

The refs assessed LeBron a technical foul, although it was not clear in the dream whether it was for the shouting, the taunting behavior, or the ineptitude of the dancing. Or for aping Danny Green, which I suppose was the real crime.
    sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 12-09-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Confusion reigned, now clarity is everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by DukieinIndy View Post
    Aaaaaaand it's comments like that that may cause some people to think that Duke is elitist. I may be reading your comments the wrong way but this instantly comes across in an offensive way.

Okay, fair enough. Those early 90's Duke teams were very much old-school basketball. They didn't woof after big plays, they passed the ball around, no baggy shorts - heck, back then, they didn't even have the Nike swoosh on their jerseys, I think. Duke graduated their players and didn't have criminal records.

The Duke program as a whole was just hitting it's stride - generally thought of as a "can't win the big game" program. K was in Dean's shadow. Duke fans were actually excited about things like #1 rankings and final fours rather than complaining about the lack of championships.

Duke was everything that Michigan was not. Michigan's class came in with lots of whispers of allegations (later garnering sanctions from the NCAA) and all the attitude with none of the accomplishments.

Certainly, Duke's program has changed with the times - some of our guys in recent years have had a little more swagger than K would have allowed in the early years and even that second championship team in 1992 developed a sharp sense of entitlement. Nothing stays the same forever.

What I am saying is, it was extemely satisfying watching a Duke program that did things the "right way" beat up on a Michigan program that seemed like it was not.

As far as finding it offensive or elitist, I think you are taking me the wrong way entirely. If I were posting on a Michigan fan site, I wouldn't say these things and smack talk their most successful era. But, I've heard diehard Michigan fans struggle to defend the early 90's Steve Fisher teams.

I'm on a Duke site and I am reminiscing about good times and Duke teams that I took pride in supporting. I'm certainly not looking to offend anyone here.

Am I off base?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Thanks. I hadn't seen that. I love how Luol is just sitting there with a stone cold expression... not impressed by any of that extra-curricular garbage.

It is definitely disturbing to see the best player in the game take on Danny Green's shtick. I enjoy Rose's take on the situation. (And for the record, I would have been cocky if I was 19 and part of the most publicized recruiting class ever. As Duke fans, the only thing we have to be bitter about is the UNC championship... 'cause, as others have noted, Duke owned the Fab 5.)

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Fab Five's record vs Duke
    0-5
    Golly. Is that why they were called the Fab Five?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I'd prefer comments like that not be made, but let's get real-- comments like that are what people use to RATIONALIZE calling Dukies elitist-- but they're going to call us elitist either way. Whether those comments are said or not is immaterial.

Random shmoes saying elitist things from Maryland, UNC, Virginia, or anywhere else don't seem to get the "hey, that's why people say all your fans are smug" treatment.

I'd prefer to note that implying everyone associated with a team is "elitist" because one of their fans says something construable as elitist is stupid beyond belief. For my money, I wish we all would avoid the trap of playing along with that foolishness. JMEO.
    Last edited by alteran; 12-09-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clarity

All, inexcuseable.

Yeah, but as someone noted, they always lost.

I love the smell of Fab Five trash talk in the morning. Smells like... Duke victory.

Hard to really hate guys that talk smack and always lose to you. (Not that I'm against hate per se.)

And if they talk junk on Tar Heels? Gotta give 'em props for that.

Certainly, Duke's program has changed with the times - some of our guys in recent years have had a little more swagger than K would have allowed in the early years and even that second championship team in 1992 developed a sharp sense of entitlement. Nothing stays the same forever.

What I am saying is, it was extemely satisfying watching a Duke program that did things the "right way" beat up on a Michigan program that seemed like it was not.
    I see what you're saying especially in regards to the sanctions. My apologies for misunderstanding your comments.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I'd prefer to note that implying everyone associated with a team is "elitist" because one of their fans is an elitist is stupid beyond belief. For my money, I wish we all would avoid the trap of playing along with that foolishness. JMEO.
    I definitely agree with you but it just gives people more ammunition for calling us elitist. I hate the fact that because of one or a few people the rest of the group gets the label, but, why even give them the opportunity.

Anyways, I have to like Jalen Rose because of his time with the Pacers

I see what you're saying especially in regards to the sanctions. My apologies for misunderstanding your comments.
    Apology accepted. We're all on the same side here.

Seriously, I can't get past Chris Webber's timeout.

Kills me. They got a banner for that.

All, inexcuseable.

For Duke fans, comments like these can be a tad embarrassing and I think you can see why.

I love Jalen's comments btw. 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    For Duke fans, comments like these can be a tad embarrassing and I think you can see why.
    And even then, 1992 was a long time ago, and Jalen Rose is no longer a teenager.

Apology accepted. We're all on the same side here.

Seriously, I can't get past Chris Webber's timeout.

Kills me. They got a banner for that.
    LOL. I take back my not hating them.