Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennies View Post
    John Mueller's place is missing from the list of Austin BBQ places. His short ribs are amazing. Or you could go to the mothership and visit Louis Mueller's BBQ in Taylor, TX (about 30 minutes from Austin).

If Franklins is packed, I've heard really good things about Micklethwait Craft Meats (about 3 minutes away from Franklins).
    Yes. I concur, especially regarding John Mueller

ricks

Just stuffed my self at Parker's in Wilson. Family style fried chicken, BBQ, boiled potato, green beans, cole slaw and corn bread/sticks.

That's all. Nothing new to add, just wanted to rub it in.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Just stuffed my self at Parker's in Wilson. Family style fried chicken, BBQ, boiled potato, green beans, cole slaw and corn bread/sticks.

That's all. Nothing new to add, just wanted to rub it in.
    Been there, done that, jealous. A fine, historic barbeque emporium. Saw the late great Doc Watson downtown at the first Wilson Whirligig Festival that same day, making me a double winner!

The next festival, in November, will be the eleventh:

http://www.wilsonwhirligigpark.org/
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Been there, done that, jealous. A fine, historic barbeque emporium. Saw the late great Doc Watson downtown at the first Wilson Whirligig Festival that same day, making me a double winner!

The next festival, in November, will be the eleventh:

http://www.wilsonwhirligigpark.org/
    A double-winner indeed.

Parker's really is a fine, historic emporium. We took my father-in-law and his extended family there for Father's day today. He lives in Roanoke Rapids but makes his way down to Wilson quite often just to go to Parker's. He said, "I've been coming here for 50 years, and it's exactly the way it was the first time I walked in."

And thanks for the inside info on the whirligig event. Looks like a blast.

I've just recently relocated to Houston for work. Any Texan bbq experts out there?

I've been to Goode Company and found it good (haha...?), but nothing to write home about. A few of the sides were really well done.

There must be better though!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    I've just recently relocated to Houston for work. Any Texan bbq experts out there?

I've been to Goode Company and found it good (haha...?), but nothing to write home about. A few of the sides were really well done.

There must be better though!
    I will take care of you. Just give me a little time. For now, however, I can tell you that Goode is the best, of the very, very few in town. Go a little south to Killen's and get the rib. Killer.

ricks

Two of my NC favorites...

Hills BBQ in Winston, NC - It's Lexington style and you have to try their cubed cut pork, melt in your mouth good!
    http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pa...lls_large.html

Lexington BBQ aka Monk's BBQ is outstanding stuff as well!
    http://www.lexbbq.com/

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    Hills BBQ in Winston, NC - It's Lexington style and you have to try their cubed cut pork, melt in your mouth good!
    http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pa...lls_large.html

Lexington BBQ aka Monk's BBQ is outstanding stuff as well!
    http://www.lexbbq.com/
    Have had many a tasty business lunch at Hill's.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Have had many a tasty business lunch at Hill's.
    The banana pudding is a solid call there I must say. I've eaten there a couple of times now when passing through on business, I like that place.

Tarheel Q (Lexington)

Warning: If the name alone wasn't enough to keep you away, a salmonella outbreak in which 200+ got sick and one person died ought make you think twice. Or three times.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Will be in Beverly, KY next week and have a free day on Wednesday. We may be driving down to Cumberland Gap on that day. Anyone familiar with that area and know of any BBQ joints we could try?

I just got back from Derm and made my first ever trip to the Backyard BBQ Pit #1.

Sweet Jesus.

I am not a local, but that's the best Q I have ever eaten. I've had Bullocks many times and also The Pit in Raleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I just got back from Derm and made my first ever trip to the Backyard BBQ Pit #1.

Sweet Jesus.

I am not a local, but that's the best Q I have ever eaten. I've had Bullocks many times and also The Pit in Raleigh.
    I now feel as if I MUST try this the next time I'm there. I live in Atlanta, but make it to the RTP area quite often for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Sweet Jesus.

Billy D, I'm local (NC native) and I'm not surprised you're now a convert. It's just my opinion of course, but I have to say that after living my entire life in the Old North State and trying a lot of BBQ over the years, Backyard BBQ Pit on Hwy 55 is #1 in regard to the best eastern style 'que that I've had. They don't have the reputation/fame that some of the other places have...Bullock's comes to mind, but my taste buds tell me that Backyard has the perfect blend of just enough spiciness, smoky, and sweet flavors. In fact, I typically don't put much if any of their sauce on the pork...that to me is the true test of some mighty fine BBQ. How does it stand on its own...without putting on a lot of sauce?

While the pork BBQ is delectable, many of their sides are great...anyone stopping by should also try their collards, fried cabbage, and mac & cheese (best I've ever had). To me, having good hushpuppies is the icing on the cake for a good NC BBQ joint and again, Backyard comes through here. In my opinion, they're about perfect - slightly (but not too) sweet and always cooked just long enough to be the perfect companion to the swine. As further testament to their goodness, I typically order extra.

Duke Blue Brewcrew, yes - you definitely owe it to yourself to stop by there when you're in the RTP area again. Just know that it's a very bare bones sort of place...I'm sure you'll enjoy the great BBQ and comfort food though!

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Billy D, I'm local (NC native) and I'm not surprised you're now a convert. It's just my opinion of course, but I have to say that after living my entire life in the Old North State and trying a lot of BBQ over the years, Backyard BBQ Pit on Hwy 55 is #1 in regard to the best eastern style 'que that I've had. They don't have the reputation/fame that some of the other places have...Bullock's comes to mind, but my taste buds tell me that Backyard has the perfect blend of just enough spiciness, smoky, and sweet flavors. In fact, I typically don't put much if any of their sauce on the pork...that to me is the true test of some mighty fine BBQ. How does it stand on its own...without putting on a lot of sauce?

While the pork BBQ is delectable, many of their sides are great...anyone stopping by should also try their collards, fried cabbage, and mac & cheese (best I've ever had). To me, having good hushpuppies is the icing on the cake for a good NC BBQ joint and again, Backyard comes through here. In my opinion, they're about perfect - slightly (but not too) sweet and always cooked just long enough to be the perfect companion to the swine. As further testament to their goodness, I typically order extra.

Duke Blue Brewcrew, yes - you definitely owe it to yourself to stop by there when you're in the RTP area again. Just know that it's a very bare bones sort of place...I'm sure you'll enjoy the great BBQ and comfort food though!
    Bullocks has the location, the ambiance, and the history. And that's about it. Backyard BBQ has none of those (it's a pretty depressing place, actually) but the food is out of this world. I agree with your description on the Q; no sauce, just perfect.

If you put Backyard's food in Bullocks's location, you have one of the best restaurants in the Southeast.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post

It was meant to be. With only limited time, I headed for Bullocks and was greeted by an empty parking lot and a sign saying they were closed for vacation until mid July. I jumped on this board, saw all the raves for Backyard BBQ Pit and made tracks. It's certainly a Lou Gehrig/Wally Pip scenario.

My first test is always how the cue tastes with no sauce, and their's is perfection...so dang tasty as is. I got the combo plate with ribs (money!) and collard greens and brunswick stew. Upon tasting how amazing everything was, I ponied up for small additional sides of mac n cheese, baked beans and potato salad. I am no glutton (well, kind of) but I love to try everything and the price was cheap enough that I didn't feel too bad throwing away the extra (I had ethical dilemma, sure, but I could not eat it all).

I like that it is a sketchy looking dump as I am really tired of the generic "commercial space on the ground floor of a newish mixed use complex in Durham" that seems to dominate the rest of the new millennium Duke experience. Along those lines, as someone who attended Duke in the early 90s, I cracked up at the "Keep Durham Dirty" movement that I caught wind of while strolling 9th street. The idea that Durham has cleaned up so much that it has lost some kind of essential grit is hilarious. No one was complaining about too much grit back in the day, that is for sure.

I live 7 minutes from heaven... I mean Backyard BBQ. For me, it's BY FAR the best in the triangle and second only to The Monk in the state of NC. And that's a close second. It's takes a sustained effort and great willpower not to go too often.

Amen to those who noted how good the sides are. We still go get sides there every year for our Thanksgiving table - they are that good.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Got my first taste of authentic Texas BBQ last night when Mr. And Mrs. Ricks68 invited my SO and I over. Very good stuff. I can now finally say I've had BBQ from ENC, WNC, Memphis, KC, and Texas. I can't pick a favorite, but will say that each region has its own unique and delicious take on 'que.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I live 7 minutes from heaven... I mean Backyard BBQ. For me, it's BY FAR the best in the triangle and second only to The Monk in the state of NC. And that's a close second. It's takes a sustained effort and great willpower not to go too often.

Amen to those who noted how good the sides are. We still go get sides there every year for our Thanksgiving table - they are that good.
    After my lifelong "Go-To" closed in Lexington because the owners were retiring, I have converted over to Monk's and it's delicious. I am impressed with Hills in W-S as well. After reading all that I have about Backyard, it's next on my list - my mouth is watering. I will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Got my first taste of authentic Texas BBQ last night when Mr. And Mrs. Ricks68 invited my SO and I over. Very good stuff. I can now finally say I've had BBQ from ENC, WNC, Memphis, KC, and Texas. I can't pick a favorite, but will say that each region has its own unique and delicious take on 'que.
    In the past 12 months I have eaten at Gate's in Kansas City, Rendezvous in Memphis, Wilber's in Goldsboro, Parker's in Wilson, Rudy's in Austin, and a couple of others. I'm only lacking a Western NC joint for the Grand Slam.

Any types we're missing? I guess I had a roasted goat at Komi here in DC that was pretty impressive....