Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I beg to differ - the libero must have the most ridiculous reflects and must still be very athletic. Plus, with men hitting the ball significantly harder than women, a female libero will be at a serious disadvantage. IMO.
    A libero has to be athletic in terms of body control however they don't have to be athletic in terms of speed or leaping ability.

I view success as a libero a result of proper positioning and reading body and arm angles of hitters, think instincts rather than reflexes. Just my opinion (I was a setter and not a libero for what that's worth) but I think a female libero could definitely hold her own in a men's game.

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It could happen.

The problem is that she'd have to be trained with that goal in mind from the first time she picks up a ball.
    I agree. Those who say it can't happen seem to be overlooking this. There are certainly parents out there who would be willing to do this. I think it would be unfair to use any traditional female athlete as an example.
    Last edited by langdonfan; 12-07-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Thats funny, I could of sworn I saw Sinead O'Conner playing foward for the Pacers...

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    A libero has to be athletic in terms of body control however they don't have to be athletic in terms of speed or leaping ability.

I view success as a libero a result of proper positioning and reading body and arm angles of hitters, think instincts rather than reflexes. Just my opinion (I was a setter and not a libero for what that's worth) but I think a female libero could definitely hold her own in a men's game.
    I was both a setter and a libero and there's a huge difference in the defense played by both. The setter's job is to avoid defense. As the setter I want to touch the second ball, not the first. As the setter, if anyone else can touch the ball I want them to. I'm yelling at players to get balls.

As a libero, my defensive responsibilities are completely different. Sure, positioning helps, but that's only if I'm concerned about getting balls in my zone. But, I'm the libero and my job is to get as many first contacts as possible. I can't set in front of the 10 foot line, so there's no reason for me to set the ball. I can't attack the ball so there's no reason to touch during the third contact. So, I'm interested in the first contact. And, since I want my hitters to be in a good position to run their offensive sets then I don't want them diving all over the place. So, as the libero, I'm diving all over the place.

Being responsible for first contacts requires great reflexes and speed. And if we concede that the men's game is an order of magnitude faster than the women's game that implies that a female libero needs to be that much quicker. And, for now, I don't see it happening at the professional level.

Could top level current WNBA players have played in the NBA in the 1950's (assuming that the racial issue applied to men but not women)?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Could top level current WNBA players have played in the NBA in the 1950's (assuming that the racial issue applied to men but not women)?
    No - same problems for them then as today.

hmm

It may have been stated earlier in this thread, but the one thing that people like Stern overlook is the progression of the male athlete. While women may become better physically so will the men. So unless we can somehow develop the time machine, the Gap will always be there. I found this to be weird when Stern brought this up in that interview last week, gee, I am wondering if the NBA needs some kind of Promotional for the teams that can not generate a fan base...hmmm, nah that would never happen