Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A woman in the NBA?

Here is an article that I thought was interesting and ripe for discussion.

Basically, the question is can a woman play in the NBA?

My thought is it is possible in the future, although I have not seen a female player yet that I thought could make it.

One thing I am sure of, it will not be a frontcourt player. Just too physical down low for women.

PG is the only position I think is ever likely to break the barrier.

I just don't see it ever happening. If Candace Parker played against men, how good would she be? I am guessing that she would be a good reserve on a mid-major team like Iona. I don't see too many rotation players from Iona in the NBA.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    As much as I wish it were possible, I say no and here's why..
    Think of all of the guys at Duke who we thought (or thought themselves) could make it in the NBA and didn't. This includes a short recent list of those such as Daniel Ewing, Sean Dockery, and DeMarcus Nelson. Nelson is a real good example. I can't think of any woman who is more athletic, quicker, has more basketball smarts and ability than Nelson. ("More" is a key word) He was given an incredible shot, played for 2 NBA teams, and in the NBADL, and yet still was not able to play in the league. His height is comparable to the taller women. Since a woman would have to perform BETTER than DeMarcus to earn a roster position, I just don't see it. The only way it happens is if an owner wants to sell tickets.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Realistically...

I definitely don't see this ever happening. I knew guys in school that were on the women's practice squad that weren't near good enough to even make the men's club team. The degree of separation is pretty huge, IMO.

I'm not so quick to say never, although I agree its off on the horizon.

She'd have to have exceptional court vision...Jason Kidd court vision...not to mention handle it like Muggsy, and shoot it like Kerr.

That's not asking for much, is it?

I know this isn't a measurement of basketball skills, but how many NBA players can't dunk in any capacity, whether in-game or just messing around by themselves in a gym? How many female guards can do this? Thats a pretty big athletic disadvantage to overcome. Women are also legitimately slower than men, as evidenced by race times for men and women in track. I just can't see it ever. The Michael Jordan of womens basketball could probably make a team, but would be the last (wo)man off the bench, or close to it.

That said, women's basketball is fun to watch, I'm certainly not trying to knock female basketball players or athletes here. Facts is facts.

There would be so many media/locker room/other distractions, a woman in the NBA seems like a bad idea even if there was one that could compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    ... but how many NBA players can't dunk in any capacity...
    If the NBA wasn't a team game and went solely on individual skills, I'd agree, no way a woman could compete physically.

But I also saw Muggsy Bogues play in the NBA for 14 seasons at 5'3" 136 lbs, and play well.

Muggsy was unique, I know, but women players are getting more athletic all the time, and I won't rule out that a once in a liftime talent could come along some day and make a roster to play a specific role.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The Michael Jordan of womens basketball could probably make a team, but would be the last (wo)man off the bench, or close to it.
    That's pretty much what Candace Parker is right? And I doubt she could start for a single D-1 basketball team.

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    That's pretty much what Candace Parker is right? And I doubt she could start for a single D-1 basketball team.
    I'm not sure thats true...there are a lot of bad, bad D-1 teams out there. Over 300, I forget the number. I'm also not sure Candace is to women's basketball what MJ was to men's...at least at this point.

The only way I could see it was a woman sharpshooter with incredible range who could come in when the team is down late or in need of a large comeback. She'd have to (a) be subbed offense for defense if possible, or (b) be lightning quick in order to keep up with the opposing team's PG/SG.

Basically, its not happening unless it is a publicity stunt.

The very best players on the women's practice team were guys who had offers from very small D-1 programs or "offers" from academically oriented D-3 schools like Middlebury, and they played very close games with a top 5 women's team that featured Alana Beard.

One point that is being ignored here: Isn't the women's ball smaller than the men's ball? First of all, let us admit that if a woman could have an advantage over a man in the NBA, it is not defense. A woman's shooting, ball-handling, rebounding, passing, catching would all suffer with a bigger ball. That is before we begin to account for the difference in playing against men. I think David Stern is just trying to advertise the WNBA with his statement rather than making an honest assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I'm not so quick to say never, although I agree its off on the horizon.

She'd have to have exceptional court vision...Jason Kidd court vision...not to mention handle it like Muggsy, and shoot it like Kerr.

That's not asking for much, is it?
    Actually, I think these are the kinds of things it'd be easy for a woman to be able to compete on - I don't think court vision, handle or shooting skill would depend at all on sex. The areas where, on average, women are at a disadvantage would be other things like strength, speed, jumping ability and size. So I think it would be a while before we see a woman player who could break down NBA wings off the dribble and take it to the rack. But a woman who's 6'2" with a good handle who can shoot the three? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Actually, I think these are the kinds of things it'd be easy for a woman to be able to compete on - I don't think court vision, handle or shooting skill would depend at all on sex. The areas where, on average, women are at a disadvantage would be other things like strength, speed, jumping ability and size. So I think it would be a while before we see a woman player who could break down NBA wings off the dribble and take it to the rack. But a woman who's 6'2" with a good handle who can shoot the three? Why not?
    Because chances are there's a guy who's 6'2 with a good handle who can shoot the three who is also more effective getting to the rack and can keep up on defense. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I would be surprised. People mention women getting more athletic, but so are the men...is the gap closing? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    But a woman who's 6'2" with a good handle who can shoot the three? Why not?
    Because there are thousands of males that meet those criteria. They don't make the NBA. Some of them don't even make it to college ball. There is a minimum baseline of - and I hate to use a recent Duke-related buzzword - athleticism you need to be an elite basketball player, even if your basketball fundamentals are off the charts. You just can't compete, offensively or defensively, otherwise.

I think a woman in the NBA would need to be either as good a shooter as there is in the league or as good a point guard (fundamentally) as there is in the league, plus be an absolute athletic marvel - a Lebron-level athletic marvel, too, not just an MJ-level athletic marvel.

I know you never say never but I don't see it working for one reason.

Most males don't want to play with females. Especially not if the woman has skills and not in a serious game. I was far from a DI prospect growing up but I could shoot the 3 a little bit, better than most of the guys I played pick up ball with. Even when I had to use a guy's ball.

It didn't matter. I got treated the same as somebody's way younger brother. I get one or two shots early just so the guys can say they gave me the ball and the rest of the game they're content to play 4 v 5 on offense. Doesn't matter how wide open I am or that my first 2 shots hit nothing but net. You're a girl you don't get the ball, simple as that. At least that was my experience. You could argue that NBA players are professionals and if somebody can play they'll give them the ball but at the very least I believe there will be hesitation. That could be the difference between an open look and a contested shot.

I believe Diana Taurasi could play in the NBA, especially on Phoenix. Steve Nash passing her the rock? She could get at least 12 points. Ann Meyers was drafted by the Pacers. And we all know that Reggie Miller could never beat his sister Cheryl. Candace Parker couldn't play in the League b/c she has weak handles and not a strong perimeter game.

As far as women playing on a men's college team, there's no doubt in my mind that Maya Moore could play on several DI men's teams...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNikeShox View Post
    I believe Diana Taurasi could play in the NBA, especially on Phoenix. Steve Nash passing her the rock? She could get at least 12 points.
    For the record, 12 points is exactly how much Grant Hill is averaging in 30 minutes per game for Phoenix. Just saying.

Due to the physicality and athleticism needed for basketball, we'll see a woman play in the following men's sports before basketball is even considered (if I name a sport for both men and women, I imply a woman playing in the men's field): golf (already happened), tennis, soccer, baseball, volleyball, cricket, a whole lot others. I really don't see it happening, unless LeBron gets a sex-change operation.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club