Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TaShawn Mabry recruiting thread

Would like to get this kid on board... looks very versatile, athletic, and seems to have a competitive edge a lot of our players have been missing these past few years.

Does this mean

that we are out of Roscoe Smith race? Why would our coaches show interest unless they know something internally kinda like HB case?

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBlue View Post
    that we are out of Roscoe Smith race? Why would our coaches show interest unless they know something internally kinda like HB case?
    Hopefully much like with HB we are starting to change our strategy with always have a plan B. We are looking for a strong and athletic wing to go with our our backcourt next year. Roscoe also suggested that when recruiting him, Duke suggested they wanted him and HB together.

Fingers crossed, I really would like to have Roscoe join our team.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Hopefully much like with HB we are starting to change our strategy with always have a plan B. We are looking for a strong and athletic wing to go with our our backcourt next year. Roscoe also suggested that when recruiting him, Duke suggested they wanted him and HB together.

Fingers crossed, I really would like to have Roscoe join our team.
    Hmm, this is interesting. I just went over to RSCI and TaShawn Mabry wasn't even in their top 100. Maybe he's shot up in the rankings since September, and presumably this is a backup plan, but are we really that desperate for a freshman wing?

Duke may have wanted both HB and Roscoe, but I can't imagine we want both Roscoe and a middle-tier prospect, because that would mean only two scholarships available for 2011 (while at the moment we supposedly are going hard after QMiller, ARivers, and MP3).

Middle-Tier Prospects

Just because someone isn't highly rated doesn't mean they can't play. Just because someone is highly rated doesn't mean they will be good. Chris Burgess was a number one recruit by at least one service early in his senior year, but we all know how that worked out. Eric Bledsoe wasn't highly ranked until late in his senior year, and he looks like he is nasty. Maybe the coaching staff has been watching this guy, feels he is good enough that he should be ranked highly and maybe even will be by the end of the year. He's no exactly in a media hotbed in Rocky Mount.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    Just because someone isn't highly rated doesn't mean they can't play. Just because someone is highly rated doesn't mean they will be good. Chris Burgess was a number one recruit by at least one service early in his senior year, but we all know how that worked out. Eric Bledsoe wasn't highly ranked until late in his senior year, and he looks like he is nasty. Maybe the coaching staff has been watching this guy, feels he is good enough that he should be ranked highly and maybe even will be by the end of the year. He's no exactly in a media hotbed in Rocky Mount.
    No question this is possible. In September 2007, DeJuan Blair was unranked by RSCI and was still only #40 after his senior year of high school was over. He turned out pretty well. In fact, I expect this sort of thing happens more frequently than the recruiting experts would like to admit. Still, my guess is it's more likely these types of prospects end up like Olek, and with all the talent Duke's assembled end up as projects for (at least) their first two seasons.

Still doesn't mean they can't play. In a small conference, Olek might have all-league potential by now. However, if the goal is for a player to contribute during his freshman year at Duke, history would suggest the odds are against the middle tier prospect.

According to scout, he hasn't been offered any scholarships, although Clemson, Maryland, and NC State are on his list...He's also the #45 SF and not even close to the top 100 overall. Personally, I'd pass and save the scholly for 2011, but I trust K and staff to know what to do. When was the last time a non top 30 player at his position was even offered a scholarship? Perhaps Lee Melchionni, but he paid his first year or so. The only other commits in the 20-30 range at their position since 2002 have been Olek (#30) and Jamal Boykin (#20). Tyler Thornton is also #20 as his position, but in the top 100 overall. Certainly, ranking isn't everything, but historically players that low don't even get looked at by Duke, let alone playing time.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=2899666

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    No question this is possible. In September 2007, DeJuan Blair was unranked by RSCI and was still only #40 after his senior year of high school was over. He turned out pretty well. .
    DeJaun Blair's ACLs were holding him back.

This is second hand information from someone who played AAU ball with him, but evidently this kid had a back injury sometime early in his high school career and was unfairly labeled as soft during his recovery.

Evidently his strengths lie on the defensive end, which is rare in high schoolers.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Or lack thereof

Here is another link from a while ago but worth reading:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recrui...mands-respect/

Actually, according to highschoolhoop.com, he is their #45 player, not the #45 SF, but #45 overall. Furthermore, it's their list that includes ALL high school players, not just the class of 2010.

Here is their list,

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/top-50-players/

As you can see, the list has player from every position, and from class of 2010-2012. And Mabry is ranked 45 on it.

If you remove the 2011 and 2012 players ahead of him, he is actually #31 among class of 2010 on that list. They have him ahead of Ziegler who is #46 on the list.

The caveat is that this might be an older list. Because it does not list HB as committed to UNC or KI as committed to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    and his weight...i believe he was over 300 pounds as a high school junior and didn't seem motivated to make the best out of his abilities. Obviously that changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Filter View Post
    Actually, according to highschoolhoop.com, he is their #45 player, not the #45 SF, but #45 overall. Furthermore, it's their list that includes ALL high school players, not just the class of 2010.

Here is their list,

As you can see, the list has player from every position, and from class of 2010-2012. And Mabry is ranked 45 on it.

If you remove the 2011 and 2012 players ahead of him, he is actually #31 among class of 2010 on that list. They have him ahead of Ziegler who is #46 on the list.
    Well, he's still unranked in the aggregate RSCI rankings. Maybe that will change. The good news is I assume Duke usually makes their recruiting decisions based on actually seeing the kid and not so much on websites or services.

who knows if this goes anywhere but he seems like a physical SF. One thing Duke might lack in the coming years is a real physical guard/wing that won't back down to anyone. We have a ton of skilled players but a kid like this could make a huge difference

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Filter View Post

Here is their list,

The caveat is that this might be an older list. Because it does not list HB as committed to UNC or KI as committed to Duke.
    HSH: Who would you really like to matchup against this AAU season?
    TM: Probably Harrison Barnes. He’s the one guy I haven’t played against.

I would like to see this matchup

not to bring this painful point up again but I wanted to make sure...all these wings we are recruiting would be a "replacement" for Kyle Singler. It is pretty set that he's going to the NBA after a season without injury or major draft stock slide, correct?

St. John's game

Am I reading this article correctly that Nate James told Mabry that Duke wants him to come to the StJ game this Saturday?

If so, that's good news as far as recruiting him. I guess recruting can move pretty fast during the senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    not to bring this painful point up again but I wanted to make sure...all these wings we are recruiting would be a "replacement" for Kyle Singler. It is pretty set that he's going to the NBA after a season without injury or major draft stock slide, correct?
    I'm on record as saying that Kyle won't go pro but that final decision will not be made until the Spring or possibly early Summer. I think it shows a great deal of proactivity to have some options in case I'm shown to be wrong.

I'm Kenny Dennard!