Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    we have live tempo-based stats for the game here:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHdGame.asp?hSchedule=3674

starters: scheyer, smith, singler, and 2 plumlees

It's nice to see Mason starting already.

Bilas called Mason the "most talented player" on Duke's roster.

MP3

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    And his broadcast partner referred to Marshall Plumlee as "Madison". Seriously, do some of these guys even WATCH basketball?

Just curious, any reason to why the ends of te undergrad section are empty again? Does this have anything to do with the new seating arrangements? Kids studying for exams? Just wanted to know.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    Just curious, any reason to why the ends of te undergrad section are empty again? Does this have anything to do with the new seating arrangements? Kids studying for exams? Just wanted to know.
    I'm guessing both, but probably more because of exams and because St. John's might not be perceived as a very good opponent (which isn't necessarily true).

Good to see Ryan Kelly getting some early minutes. Also, Lance and Zoubek have both scored a couple times so far, which is always a good sign.

Good to see Lance actually show up for this game. Ryan is doing his thing out there, nice to see that.

Who are #'s42 & 55?

I mean...he LOOKS like Lance Thomas but..where the #$! has that 15-16 foot jump shot BEEN for 3+ yrs!

Same for Zoubek - he hasn't played a lot yet, but looks a LOT more confident out there.

I want to see some more of mason. Hopefully it's a blowout so we can see more of our freshman and olek.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I think Jay's brain cells are receeding with his hairline.

Good half. Nice job, LT. Nice D by Ryan. Fun game so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Tucknut View Post
    I think Jay's brain cells are receeding with his hairline.

Good half. Nice job, LT. Nice D by Ryan. Fun game so far!
    Jay knows hoops and he knows Duke's personnel very well, so such a comment about Mason should not be dismissed. It may take a while for Mason to get into form.

So far, this supposed "bounce-back" game is going better than last years. Don't get me wrong, St. Johns is a quality team this year, but I think this is at east the third year in a row that we are facing them after a loss or two.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Jay knows hoops and he knows Duke's personnel very well, so such a comment about Mason should not be dismissed. It may take a while for Mason to get into form.
    I am in agreement with this. No analyst that ESPN has seems to me to know more about Duke than Bilas. I know he gets a lot of heat around here for his supposed reluctance to praise Duke, but when he says Duke will run into problems, I'm worried. For instance, on Selection Sunday, he predicted that Nova's guards would carve Duke up in the Sweet Sixteen. But he hasn't predicted any doom today, so that's good.

One of the things I like best about this team so far is the ability to block and contest shots around the basket. Singler, Zoubs, Lance, both Plumlees are defending the rim and making it hard to score.

All of our big men look good. I don't know if this is because they are good, or because we are playing weak competition, which isn't as physical as wisconsin. My favorite play: Mason posting up, missing the shot. St. Johns pulls down the rebound, Miles strips it from them, and puts it through. I love the confidence from both of them.

I kinda wonder if Jay meant to say Mason was the most talented "Big" man on Duke's roster, as opposed to the most talented overall.

Quote Originally Posted by gwwilburn View Post
    So far, this supposed "bounce-back" game is going better than last years. Don't get me wrong, St. Johns is a quality team this year, but I think this is at east the third year in a row that we are facing them after a loss or two.
    I don't understand your post. St. John's is 6-0 coming into this game.

Playing time

Why doesn't Coach k play his other subs i.e Olek, kelly significant time?
    I just watched KY-UNC game and Roy was sending in everyone on his roster including watts and leslie mcdonald.
    Good substantial time only adds to these guys development. St.Johns might be a significant game but i do believe k should play our bench more often than the starters. Look at Singler, scheyer and smith. They seem to be playing 40 mins this early in the season. Compare them to the best player at carolina i.e. Ed Davis plays about 29-30 mins a game.

It's a trade off between playing your best players and get all those Ws this early in the season while letting your bench develop during real time games (exclude practice) and get ready for the conference season and post season.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I don't understand your post. St. John's is 6-0 coming into this game.
    I could be wrong, hasn't St. Johns had to play Duke after a loss at least three years in a row? And they are good. They have beaten as many teams in the top 25 as we have, I believe.

LOTS of contact being allowed by the refs

Scheyer and Singler have both been HACKED on a couple shots here early in the 2nd half. Hope the refs tighten it up!