Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm probably crazy, because I don't expect Duke to win every time. I like to see their growth and improvement. I like to watch the kids get better as K takes aim on the post-season. Whatever the score, if Duke plays as well as it can at this point in time, it will be a good game for me.

Does anyone know when final exams will begin?

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    Does anyone know when final exams will begin?
    The academic calendar is certainly available at the University's web site

Jeez are you guys seriously that disinterested in the game that you're talking about final exams?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Moving forward, Coach K has been known to shake things up after a loss so I'm wondering if Andre Dawkins has shot his way into the starting line-up
    I would be very surprised if Andre starts, but I would expect him to get solid minutes.

The interesting thing to me is to see if K starts using design-play screens specifically for Andre's shot.

Typically, Andre gets his open shots floating around the perimeter and hoping for a kick-out or in transition, rather than from plays designed for him.

My sense is that K doesn't want to put much pressure on Andre so early into his career. Smokin' Dre was on fire against Wisconsin in the latter stages of the game, but K preferred to put the ball, and the outcome of the game, in the hands of the veteran Kyle at the critical moment instead of setting Andre up for a jump shot.

I think K may well dust off some of those double-screen plays for JJ and we will start to see some play-calling specifically for Andre to a limited extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Jungle View Post
    Jeez are you guys seriously that disinterested in the game that you're talking about final exams?
    I think the inquiry has to do with when the players will be practicing a lot less and focusing on academics a lot more.

Andre is not starting consistently unless Nolan is sitting. I don't see it happening.

I very badly want to see our post players in action this game, more specifically, the Plumlees together.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Jungle View Post
    It's good to see you Johnny. I know it is St. John's time when you post. Thanks for returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It's good to see you Johnny. I know it is St. John's time when you post. Thanks for returning.
    Consider it an early Christmas present

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I would love to see TONS of touches for the Plumlees this game. That is my #1 wish going in.
    I can't agree more. Use these games to build some confidence.
    Go Duke!
    Go Kentucky! Just for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think the inquiry has to do with when the players will be practicing a lot less and focusing on academics a lot more.
    You're right, that was the point...Turns out finals start this Tuesday.

I hope the guys are focused enough for a great game tomorrow before they have to shut it down for finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_Blue_Devil View Post
    I can't agree more. Use these games to build some confidence.
    Go Duke!
    Go Kentucky! Just for tomorrow.
    Is there any way they BOTH could lose? It's hard for me to root for Cali-slimy against ANYONE, even the holes!

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    Is there any way they BOTH could lose?
    I've thought about this... I've got other teams that I don't ever want to see win, so these games are simply hard to watch. With that said, the game could be cancelled (for whatever reason... fill in the blank), the game could be forfeited by both teams (again, for whatever reason... fill in the blank). Then, no one wins... no one gets a W, but no one gets an L either

We should be able to overpower St. Johns in the paint, obviously. If John and Nolan can control tempo in the backcourt and protect the ball as a result, we should pull away to an easy win. If St. Johns can disrupt our offensive flow, then it might be tighter than anticipated.

Overpower in the Paint?

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    We should be able to overpower St. Johns in the paint, obviously. If John and Nolan can control tempo in the backcourt and protect the ball as a result, we should pull away to an easy win. If St. Johns can disrupt our offensive flow, then it might be tighter than anticipated.

In the Wisconsin game we certainly didn't overpower anyone in the paint. They outrebounded us slightly and did a much better job of scoring with their bigs.

Miles has ability inside and, as his confidence grows, he can be very solid. Mason is very likely to show improvement. Neither Zoubek or Thomas showed any offense at all against Wisconsin, which was disappointing, particularly after Thomas had a great game against UCONN.

I will be pleased if we outrebound St John, block a few shots and outscore their bigs with our own. I would say we have an advantage with Singler, Scheyer, Smith and Dawkins playing around the perimeter, so the bigs need to at least hold their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I would say we have an advantage with Singler, Scheyer, Smith and Dawkins playing around the perimeter, so the bigs need to at least hold their own.
    With that perimeter, wouldn't we have an advantage over all teams that we are facing this year (NCAA tourney not included)? I love our backcourt, and I think that everyone there is extremely important and competent. And I fully agree, our bigs need to at least hold their own. Let's hope that the MPs are the answer!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Won't good play by an opponent make a player look bad?

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    I'm with you. It looked to me like Zoubs was making freshman mistakes as a senior. Lance looked OK, but not great. I'd love to see both elevate their games.
    Hi,

I just wonder if we, as Duke fans, don't give enough credit to the opponent? Is it possible that the play of Wisconsin in the post made Zoobs play faster, for example, than he would have liked to? This is because they are so good and not that Zoobs has regressed?

Just because Wisconsin (and initially ASU) pointed out our weakness in the post does not mean we won't be better by March. Isn't it good to have things to work on and time to do it? I keep saying, "We are not a finished product."

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Why is that so obvious? I think St. John's front court is pretty good. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this as Jeff Goodman rated St. John's one of the top 20 front courts in the country preseason.

I think Duke's front court is more disciplined but St. John's could pose problems for them.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I still can't believe how ineffective Brian and Lance were in the Wisconsin game. These guys are seniors and looked lost in the game. Neither of them have any confidence.

That has been the problem with Lance his whole career. He'll show so much promise in one game and we'll all think he's turned the corner and then he'll be completely invisible the next. He needs to string together some strong performences, starting with today. Mason won't be starting yet and probably won't get 25+ minutes so he has the opportunity!

Gametime in 5 minutes and you guys are still talking about the last game?!?

Let's.

Go.

Duke.