Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mason is the key

Singler, Nolan, and Scheyer are largely known factors, although each will have his off nights, Dawkins can flat-out shoot. Miles has become a solid rebounder and shot-blocker and will improve on finishing and avoiding fouls. We'll get burned by some quick guards all year, but we have some limitations to work with sans EWill.

The big key is Mason. God love 'em, LT and Z just have their limits. Every year we get a few double figure, active games from LT, and then a string of 2point, 2 rebound efforts. He got the ball in good position in the 1st half, spun away from the basket, and then went up weak and got blocked. He got a pass in good position in the 2nd half and dropped it. Z has become a good rebounder, but hasn't progressed in putting the biscuit in the basket. LT never needs to dribble more than once, and Z never needs to try to guard someone outside the paint.

Mason needs to emerge to take us from a team probably not quite as good last year's model to a potential championship contender. Time will tell.

Exactly right. Mason needs to take about half of Lance's minutes and half of Z's.

the key to what? open jumpers and man advantages for the offense?

Sorry, just had to say it. He wasn't ready for this. It showed. No big deal. Plenty of time to improve.

Yeah, I agree Mason's development is key.

Actually, I saw glimpses tonight (in these circumstances with the injury and lost time, couldn't expect anything really) of how he moves well and can outreach guys for a rebound, and hold on to the ball. Mason can hedge out on defense and get back so much better than Zoubs.

This team is a work in progress, more so than most years. I think the final product will be quite good.

Err, Nolan is a known factor?

REALLY?!

Listen, i love Nolan, and he had a great first half last year. And he has the potential to be a truely great player. But he faded strongly down the stretch last year, and not just cuz of his injury.

But he's never put it all together for a whole season. And we came into this season thinking he could be even better.

Smith's a veteran on this team, indeed. But he's not a known factor and has a lot of things still to show and to prove this year. So lets' not put it all on the Frosh just yet.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

What kind of player is Mason and how can he help this team?

From what little I've read, he's a good rebounder who create jump shots for himself after receiving the ball somewhere between the low post and the high post. I've also read that he doesn't really have a post game to speak of.

Based on that very limited information I have, I'd say that he could improve the following
    1. team defense (better mobility than Zoubek and taller than Thomas)
    2. offensive rebounding (great hops)
    3. pick-and-pop offense (ability to hit FT-line extended jumper)

Can anyone who has seen Mason play (in high school, summer leagues, pick-up, video game hoops, whatever), correct/add/elaborate on this?

I really hope Mason gets into game shape soon... I cannot help but feel that our current bigs (with the exception of Miles) just cannot contribute in any meaningful way... they cannot score the basketball consistently, they cannot defend mobile players, they cannot defend consistently on the pick and roll, and they cannot defend bigs who can move outside. When they are called on to perform a lot of these roles, they often pick up fouls. These problems really cause limitations for our guards, who cannot legitimately look inside for scoring and therefore have an awful lot of pressure on them, both in terms of defenders knowing they are our only option and in terms of providing the majority of the scoring for the team. I really feel like once Mason is healthy and ready, he and Miles will be a big step up in terms of big men who are able to contribute.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I hope he is the key to being able to do the simple things. Like be in the right place at the right time. And corralling contested/loose balls.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Err, Nolan is a known factor?

REALLY?!

Listen, i love Nolan, and he had a great first half last year. And he has the potential to be a truely great player. But he faded strongly down the stretch last year, and not just cuz of his injury.

But he's never put it all together for a whole season. And we came into this season thinking he could be even better.

Smith's a veteran on this team, indeed. But he's not a known factor and has a lot of things still to show and to prove this year. So lets' not put it all on the Frosh just yet.
    You beat me to the punch. I think that Singler and Scheyer are our known commodities. I think both Plumlees AND Smith are the keys, and all are unknowns still.

Smith has gotten a lot of hype this year, and had two great performances to open his season. But against stronger competition in more hostile environments, he's not looked good. I think good things can/will come from him this year, but he's definitely not a known yet.

But I do agree with the original poster that Mason will be a huge key. His height, skills, and athleticism are going to be needed at the 4 and 5 on both ends of the floor. Hopefully he can overcome the injury setback and be a real presence by the time ACC play rolls around.

Our cubboard is far from bare. As the freshmen, Mason and Dawkins get more experience we should be a very tough out at tournament time this year. Next year we have a shooter and a true point guard coming and the coaches know how much we could use an ahletic slasher (SF) like the one we just missed out on. Hope we can complete the puzzle and return to going deep in the tournament every year. I'm betting on our staff getting us what we need, seeing how good they have done so far.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The biggest thing this team has going for it in comparison to last year's team is that it doesn't need to start Lance or Z. They just bring too little to the table on offense. I'm looking forward to the point where we start both Plumlees.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

The biggest thing this team has going for it in comparison to last year's team is that it doesn't need to start Lance or Z. They just bring too little to the table on offense. I'm looking forward to the point where we start both Plumlees.
    I would have bristled a little bit at this comment earlier, but after seeing that both LT and Z are still doing what they have always done (tho Z is doing a much better job rebounding so far) I have to say that you are right.
    Having two athletic big men who can both jump really high and pass and have a bit of touch with the ball is a big advantage over having to start either/both LT/Z. Bringing LT and Z off the bench will be a huge plus for us since both have tons of experience and both have certain positives. Their positives are not big enough however to have them start and still have championship expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

Co-sign. The day Duke starts Miles and Mason is when we can really start to determine this team's prospects come March.

I also agree with those who believe that Nolan is not yet a known commodity; he's getting there but he's not there yet. Nolan's ascension and Dawkins' development are the two biggest things to watch outside the Brothers Plumlee.

Mason

If Mason is only as good as Miles I think that would be great! I think Miles has played very well this year. If Mason ends up being more productive than Miles then we will be in very good shape. It's hard to get after Mason after coming off the injury. I think most would agree we saw more of him than we thought we would last night! I think he will get better and hopefully give us 8-12 points in the paint a night. If Mason and Miles can average 16-24 points between the two of them it would be monstrous in helping this team make a big run.

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    If Mason is only as good as Miles I think that would be great! I think Miles has played very well this year. If Mason ends up being more productive than Miles then we will be in very good shape. It's hard to get after Mason after coming off the injury. I think most would agree we saw more of him than we thought we would last night! I think he will get better and hopefully give us 8-12 points in the paint a night. If Mason and Miles can average 16-24 points between the two of them it would be monstrous in helping this team make a big run.
    I would take 8 pts per game and 5 rbs per game each from the two Plumlees. That coupled with good man to man defense from them and I will be satisfied. And add that to Andre's contribution we would be headed in the right direction. Go Duke!

People fall in love with potential don't they? It wasn't long ago that people were hailing Nolan as our savior at PG because of his potential.

Mason looked bad last night. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential...he absolutely does and he has a chance to be really good i'm sure...but last night...he was bad.

Took a 3 point shot that didn't look comfortable. Next time he got the ball he didn't even consider it. IMO...if you're not willing to shoot a second time if you miss...you weren't ready the first time. He turned the ball over and most importantly he didn't look like he wanted to mix it up physically on the boards or on defense.

I'm hoping it was the wrist...and very well could be. Maybe in a week he's boxing out and attacking the boards aggressively.

But...from what I actually saw...as opposed to what i hoped to see. He isn't quite ready and may not be this year. I honestly felt Duke had a better chance of winning last night if Kelly got Mason's minutes...but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    People fall in love with potential don't they? It wasn't long ago that people were hailing Nolan as our savior at PG because of his potential.

Mason looked bad last night. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential...he absolutely does and he has a chance to be really good i'm sure...but last night...he was bad.

Took a 3 point shot that didn't look comfortable. Next time he got the ball he didn't even consider it. IMO...if you're not willing to shoot a second time if you miss...you weren't ready the first time. He turned the ball over and most importantly he didn't look like he wanted to mix it up physically on the boards or on defense.

I'm hoping it was the wrist...and very well could be. Maybe in a week he's boxing out and attacking the boards aggressively.

But...from what I actually saw...as opposed to what i hoped to see. He isn't quite ready and may not be this year. I honestly felt Duke had a better chance of winning last night if Kelly got Mason's minutes...but who knows.
    Dude. First game back.

Mason and Miles need to become involved offensively, plain and simple. Our guards (and Coach K) can not be afraid to get the ball down low to Miles. I don't know if Mason is ready to become an interior presence offensively, but even if he is not, he has to be aggressive taking it to the hoop or not hesitating to hit the 15 ft. jumper. If these guys' offensive games are limited to offensive rebounds and alley-oop dunks, we're not going to be very successful. I love their potential and I think they can be very very good players in the ACC. If they do not become key components to this team offensively, someone on the staff must be held accountable. With that said though, I think that they will become valuable offensively.

Tone

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Our guards (and Coach K) can not be afraid to get the ball down low to Miles.

If they do not become key components to this team offensively, someone on the staff must be held accountable. With that said though, I think that they will become valuable offensively.
    Someone "must" be held accountable? Really? Look, if you want to say that developing some credible low post game is critical to Duke's success this year, I absolutely agree and welcome your comments.

When your comments take on a harsher tone, you lose me and I suspect other readers here.

Mason's Offensive Skills?

I've only seen Mason play those few minutes against Wisc. and that's no indicator. How are his offensive skills? Can he finish when he gets the ball near the basket (unlike poor Z - it's almost painful to watch Z struggle so)? Does he have a mid-range shot? If his man leaves him, can he hit the 3 at a reasonable %. In other words, what will he give us that we do not already have with Z and LT?