Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bowden Sticks it to Miami one last time?

Looks like Bowden is going to get to jump FOUR other ACC teams to get his finale in the Gator Bowl against his former team, WVU:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...owl/index.html

ACC season results:

Georgia Tech* 7-1 10-2
    Virginia Tech 6-2 9-3
    Clemson* 6-2 8-4
    Miami (Fla.) 5-3 9-3
    Boston College 5-3 8-4
    North Carolina 4-4 8-4
    Florida St. 4-4 6-6

Although the hoopla would be well deserved, I don't see the game being that competitive, typical of Bobby's final years.

Maybe the old man has a few surprises left , I wish him the most of luck

gator bowl

It's kind or ironic that the Gator Bowl is dropping its association with the ACC because it didn't like the league's one-win rule ... yet in its last contract year with the league, it has enough flexibility in its contract to take a 4-4 (in the ACC) Florida State over at least three teams with better conference records -- and one that will be two-games better (the loser of the title game).

This means that the ACC championship game is more important than ever -- the winner gets the Orange Bowl and the loser drops all the way down to the Champ Sports Bowl ... or maybe the Music City Bowl.

Miami, which finished 5-3 in the league and 9-3 overall (tied for the ACC's second-best record) probably will end up in the Music City Bowl (although the Champs would have the option of picking 5-3 Miami over 6-2 Clemson ... but not over 7-1 Georgia Tech, if the Jackets lose Saturday).

So I guess the ACC bowl lineup is:

Orange: Georgia Tech/Clemson winner
    Chick-fil-a: Virginia Tech
    Gator: Florida State
    Champs: Clemson/Georgia Tech or Miami
    Music City: Miami or Clemson
    Meinike: UNC (a second straight trip to Charlotte for the Heels)
    Emerald: Boston College (the 8-4, 5-3 Eagles get screwed again)

No ACC team available for the Eagle Bank Bowl in Washington or the GMAC Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Looks like Bowden is going to get to jump FOUR other ACC teams to get his finale in the Gator Bowl against his former team, WVU:
    The bowl system is such a joke. Say what you will about college basketball, at least postseason success is not determined largely by television ratings and ticket sales.

i like it

I dont know about anybody else, but I love this game. And the reason they are making this is because they know people are going to watch. The BEST college football coach ever is coaching his final game, against his former school, in a great bowl game.

Should be fun

I'm not so sure that the Bowl System is a complete joke. If there were a 16 team playoff right now, The ACC would get no more than two bids (assuming auto bids for all conferences which would mean three bids from outside the top 16). Every other bowl game in the country would be relegated to NIT status and most of them would disappear in 5-10 years because they'd lose TV contracts and cease to make money. So in all likelihood, this joke of a bowl system is extending the season beyond this Saturday for 5 ACC teams and their fans.

sorry, i don't give a crap about any of our teams making it past this saturday...the bowl system has to go..it IS a joke...

PLAYOFF....demand it !!!

Regardless of bowl system or not, it seems clear to me that Florida and Alabama are the two best teams, and the ACC is way down the line. I want to see the game between the two best teams, and I think this Saturday we will have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Regardless of bowl system or not, it seems clear to me that Florida and Alabama are the two best teams...
    How is it clear? Florida has one win against a currently ranked team.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I'm not so sure that the Bowl System is a complete joke. If there were a 16 team playoff right now, The ACC would get no more than two bids (assuming auto bids for all conferences which would mean three bids from outside the top 16). Every other bowl game in the country would be relegated to NIT status and most of them would disappear in 5-10 years because they'd lose TV contracts and cease to make money. So in all likelihood, this joke of a bowl system is extending the season beyond this Saturday for 5 ACC teams and their fans.
    I'm not sure thats true. Fans of teams not in the playoffs would still want to watch the bowl games to see their teams play. Most bowls right now basically ARE NIT status, they just make more money because football makes more money.

Be nice if he went out a winner. Maybe they can make a bowl exception and play a team like Virginia or Kentucky or EZU.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It's kind or ironic that the Gator Bowl is dropping its association with the ACC because it didn't like the league's one-win rule ... yet in its last contract year with the league, it has enough flexibility in its contract to take a 4-4 (in the ACC) Florida State over at least three teams with better conference records -- and one that will be two-games better (the loser of the title game).

This means that the ACC championship game is more important than ever -- the winner gets the Orange Bowl and the loser drops all the way down to the Champ Sports Bowl ... or maybe the Music City Bowl.

Miami, which finished 5-3 in the league and 9-3 overall (tied for the ACC's second-best record) probably will end up in the Music City Bowl (although the Champs would have the option of picking 5-3 Miami over 6-2 Clemson ... but not over 7-1 Georgia Tech, if the Jackets lose Saturday).

So I guess the ACC bowl lineup is:

Orange: Georgia Tech/Clemson winner
    Chick-fil-a: Virginia Tech
    Gator: Florida State
    Champs: Clemson/Georgia Tech or Miami
    Music City: Miami or Clemson
    Meinike: UNC (a second straight trip to Charlotte for the Heels)
    Emerald: Boston College (the 8-4, 5-3 Eagles get screwed again)

No ACC team available for the Eagle Bank Bowl in Washington or the GMAC Bowl.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the only way FSU doesn't play in the Gator Bowl is if Tech loses against Clemson. They had 1 loss in conference and FSU, with their 4 conference losses, couldn't be picked ahead of Tech.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs down Bobby

This is embarrasing for college football. I hope Bobby gets crushed. Free Shoes University! I've heard some FSU fans say that Jimbo is supposed to be a real piece of work. Good luck with that FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the only way FSU doesn't play in the Gator Bowl is if Tech loses against Clemson. They had 1 loss in conference and FSU, with their 4 conference losses, couldn't be picked ahead of Tech.
    The article states that there is a specific provision in the contract which allows the Gator Bowl to pass over the ACC Championship game loser, so FSU could be picked over Ga Tech. The only scenario where FSU doesn't go Gator is if the Chick-fil-a chooses the championship game loser over Va Tech, leaving Va Tech at two games better than FSU.

The article states that there is a specific provision in the contract which allows the Gator Bowl to pass over the ACC Championship game loser, so FSU could be picked over Ga Tech. The only scenario where FSU doesn't go Gator is if the Chick-fil-a chooses the championship game loser over Va Tech, leaving Va Tech at two games better than FSU.
    Looks like Va Tech will be in the Chick-fil-a Bowl:

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...ick-fil-A-Bowl

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    This is embarrasing for college football. I hope Bobby gets crushed. Free Shoes University! I've heard some FSU fans say that Jimbo is supposed to be a real piece of work. Good luck with that FSU.
    Bowl games are about selling tickets, not about the most "deserving" teams getting in. FSU will sell a lot of tickets, hence the invite. It really is that simple.

quick correction

As a native of Miami, I just want to point out, historically, the Canes has Bobby Bowden's number.Wide Right I, Wide Right II, Wide Left, etc. Bowden once said, "I think the curse is they're on our schedule. They're going to chisel on my tombstone, 'At least he played Miami.' "

Though he did screw Miami in 2000. FSU went to the championship game despite losing to Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke09 View Post
    As a native of Miami, I just want to point out, historically, the Canes has Bobby Bowden's number.Wide Right I, Wide Right II, Wide Left, etc. Bowden once said, "I think the curse is they're on our schedule. They're going to chisel on my tombstone, 'At least he played Miami.' "

Though he did screw Miami in 2000. FSU went to the championship game despite losing to Miami.
    And the 4-down goalline stand from this year's Labor Day classic will be one of those games that people remember years from now as well!

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This exact scenario happened last year. Boston College lost in the 2008 ACC Championship game and then played Vanderbilt in the Music City Bowl (which Vandy won 16-14! Go Dores!).

This, as does all the Bowden retirement love, bothers me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...owl/index.html

ACC season results:

Georgia Tech* 7-1 10-2
    Virginia Tech 6-2 9-3
    Clemson* 6-2 8-4
    Miami (Fla.) 5-3 9-3
    Boston College 5-3 8-4
    North Carolina 4-4 8-4
    Florida St. 4-4 6-6

Although the hoopla would be well deserved, I don't see the game being that competitive, typical of Bobby's final years.

I don't get why the ACC would push for special treatment for Bobby. Then again, I don't understand the love fest and fawning over Bobby's retirement. Bobby's an example of a lot of stuff that's wrong with college football, with more an emphasis on cheating and limiting criminal exposure for players than things like academics.

The game will be better without Bobby than it was with, and it would be nice of some in the mainstream media would stand up and remember there are a lot of things we shouldn't be celebrating about Bobby, even as he rides off into the sunset, undeservingly, in a New Year's Day bowl.