Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andre Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    Andre Dawkins gives Duke that dreaded second shooter...

As of right now, teams simply cannot leave Jon or Andre open for the outside shot and that opens things up for everyone else.

Now, if Nolan and/or Kyle get hot from outside how are you going to guard Duke????
    Kyle is shooting 41.4% from beyond the arc, while Jon is shooting 40%. Nolan Smith is shooting a respectable 35% from deep. Teams absolutely cannot leave ANY of these guys open, nor they will pay. Not to mention that Kelly is a shooter as well, but he isn't getting the time to show this. In due time for him though.

As far as the Andre vs. Williams comparison, are you guys serious? . Elliot had to do what he had to for his family. Andre did what he had to to help his second family. They are different players who bring different skill sets. Good luck to both.

Also, Go Memphis. Its alot easier to root for them with Cal gone.

Smile Smile

I've been waiting until now to say this: How is it that no one has commented on the first smile on the court from Andre this year? I think it was after his second 3 went in, but I'm not sure. Didn't anyone else notice it? I think maybe that shot broke some new ground, and may have enabled him to reach a new comfort level. (As if he appears to really need it.) Even the commentators in previous games noted his mature staid expression.

ricks

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    One of the other things about Eliot's game that I don't see Andre duplicating is his rebounding. EWill was long and could jump, and he often came up with rebounds in traffic over taller, stronger players. Andre has showed an admirable willingness to go in amongst the trees, and he's come up with some sneaky boards and points in the paint. But EWill could do that pretty regularly, and I don't think we should be expecting the same of Andre.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Andre and Elliot are very different players. Andre is at a position of (great) need whereas Elliot was able to be brought along more slowly.

Their skillsets are quite different, too--having both would be a helluva thing this year.

It'll be easy rooting for Elliot to thrive at Memphis and beyond; and easier to root for Andre, whose tireless work for Duke on the recruiting trail, and now in Cameron, has already proven quite valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    Kyle is shooting 41.4% from beyond the arc, while Jon is shooting 40%. Nolan Smith is shooting a respectable 35% from deep. Teams absolutely cannot leave ANY of these guys open, nor they will pay. Not to mention that Kelly is a shooter as well, but he isn't getting the time to show this. In due time for him though.
    If you think it's fun now, think about next year.

Duke down one, puts Mason, Kyrie, Seth, Andre and Nolan on the floor with 6 seconds left.

How would you like to defend that? And that's assuming Kyle is making money instead of coming back for his senior season.

I love what Andre has done thus far, and I hope Coach K starts getting him more minutes. I know Coach K most likely feels that Andre has a ways to go on the defensive end, and he does, but I really feel that Andre makes Duke a much better team when he's on the floor. Would like to see him get to 25 minutes per game before we get to the ACC schedule.

The way Dawkins has helped recruit players such as Tyler Thornton, Josh Hairston, and Kyrie Irving already made him a favorite player of mine before he even played a game.

I have watched college basketball closely for more than a decade, and NBA basketball closely for more than 5 years (followed it fairly closely since Michael Jordan's first title teams). I know this is blasphemous to say, but Dawkins is the closest thing I have seen to Ray Allen. I'm definitely not saying that Dawkins will go on to become one of the NBA's greatest all-time shooters, but Dawkins' skill set is eerily similar to Allen's.

Dawkins is awesome and quickly becoming one of my favorites on this team. I expected him to be pretty good but maybe still streaky as a shooter, but so far he has been great. I trust him shooting the ball and especially from the 3, what shot that kid has. And his confidence is great to see as well, fist-pumps..big smiles after making a couple of shots, i love it.

Also, I think we should stay away from the Dawkins/Williams comparisons

Has anyone noticed the pure form of Dawkins' release? What is impressive to me is that his total form sets that jumpshot up for success; he ends it with the goose-neck for backspin and the whole shot seems balanced. He'll be able to teach youngsters proper form in the camps coming up!

check out his early release, here:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/211120...009222843.html

Please, anyone with any post-release shots, feel free to toss them in!

dth.
    Last edited by dukestheheat; 11-30-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Has anyone noticed the pure form of Dawkins' release? What is impressive to me is that his total form sets that jumpshot up for success; he ends it with the goose-neck for backspin and the whole shot seems balanced. He'll be able to teach youngsters proper form in the camps coming up!

dth.

I have said since the first time I saw him shoot, that Dawkins has one of the best looking jump shots that I have seen in a long time. I coach youth basketball and Dawkins does everything that I try to teach my kids when it comes to the jump shot. I would love to be able to show them a video of Dawkins shooting and point out all of the things that I try to teach. The kid just has perfect form.

Battierfan01

^^^^^

The Defense Minister has spoken!

dth.

Do you guys think Andre is "athletic"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFSBQaskzA0

Dawkins fist pump

was money. That was the first time I have seen a Dukie do it and it made me jump out of my couch and yell...we need that emotion...

What a shooter!

His progress and his contributions have been outstanding, better than expected especially considering his age and late enrollment. And he's performed well not just in CIS against over-matched opponents, but in MSG and Kohl Arena against very good teams.

I don't expect him to continue shooting 3-point FG's at a 55.6% pace, but his form, touch, and his length coupled with his leaping ability enable him to get a quality jump shot off with just a slight bit of room.

On defense, he's a work in progress, but shows promise. On offense, seems only reasonable the team and coaches look to provide more shooting opportunities for him.

I shall call him "Splash"

Andre "Splash" Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    What a shooter!

On offense, seems only reasonable the team and coaches look to provide more shooting opportunities for him.
    Completely agree. However, I would like him to just not settle into a jumpshooter. Watching highlights, he can get to the rim and score. Would like to see him develop that part of him game as well. Give us another option besides Nolan in that regard

Andre is actually in position to be a very potent offensive weapon for us. This will truly happen when he incorporates taking people to the whole to his game. We can not allow him just to stand on the perimeter and shoot three's. People are going to contest his shot, so he's going to have to start taking people to the whole.

I completely agree with the poster that said comparing Andre to E. Williams is not a good thing. E-Will is not part of the Duke team any longer and Andre is. I wish Elliot and his mom well and hope he has a good season. Keep shooting lights out Andre and Go Duke!

What has impressed me the most about Dawkins is that, at least on ever shot that I have seen him take, his feet are set and he doesn't rush.

I thought he was the most composed player on the floor last night.

I know it might be too late, but

Quote Originally Posted by jaimedun34 View Post
    What has impressed me the most about Dawkins is that, at least on ever shot that I have seen him take, his feet are set and he doesn't rush.

I thought he was the most composed player on the floor last night.
    I would like for Andre to take Lance aside and show him how important it is to square up and shoot the jump shot. Lance seems to never have his body squared up when he takes a midrange jumpshot. His legs seem close together and his body turned slightly sideways. Looks real odd to me. Go Duke!

Dre has become a great asset to this team. His shooting last night kept the game close when we essentially had no business being in it. And, as a freshman, he's produced much more quickly and effectively than I'm sure anyone thought.

But what I'm really anxious for is further down the road this year and next year. All you hear about it Duke not having a "break em down, get to the rack scorer" when we have those long stretches without a FG. I think Dre can become that player. He's athletic enough and versatile enough to do that. I don't expect him to become that player this year with Jon, Nolan, and Singler getting a lot of the touches, but working on that over the summer would be great.

But for now, I'm thrilled to have him for Duke. All this does is make me more and more anxious for 2010. Imagine a lineup with Seth and Dre in at the same time.