Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Andre Dawkins

Andre Dawkins prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDuke View Post
    Andre is actually in position to be a very potent offensive weapon for us. This will truly happen when he incorporates taking people to the whole to his game. We can not allow him just to stand on the perimeter and shoot three's. People are going to contest his shot, so he's going to have to start taking people to the whole.
    When His game becomes perfect, He will take His people "to the whole" and show them to be one with the universe. But other teams, He will fight to the pain, that's for sure. He will leave them in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

This may have been mentioned in the post-game thread, and I apologize for rehashing it if so, but was anyone else watching the game hoping that Andre, and ONLY Andre, would be shooting in the last couple of minutes? Just as you could tell that Kyle could not miss early in the first half, I felt you could tell the same thing about Andre late in the game.

Here's hoping

Hmmm. A gunner from Virginia comes in as a freshman and shows great promise as a 3 pt shooter, needs work on defense and needs to develop a driving game to complement his outside shot. Sounds a little familiar. Let's hope his career arc continues the similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Hmmm. A gunner from Virginia comes in as a freshman and shows great promise as a 3 pt shooter, needs work on defense and needs to develop a driving game to complement his outside shot. Sounds a little familiar. Let's hope his career arc continues the similarity.
    Best quote of this thread

Bust Em' Up Dre'

With Andre, the defense will come together as the season progresses. He has the ability to drive to the hole and play above the rim just like G. Henderson (we just haven't seen him do it often...don't sell him short), however why force that especially when the Plumlees are taking care of business in the post. I admit, yes I wanted to see Dawkins take the last shot. The guy was feeling it and I couldn't care less whether it was a freshman taking the last shot or not but just take a good shot. Dawkins is rapidly becoming my favorite player at this point. The kid has ice water going through his veins!

Quote Originally Posted by Methodistman View Post
    This may have been mentioned in the post-game thread, and I apologize for rehashing it if so, but was anyone else watching the game hoping that Andre, and ONLY Andre, would be shooting in the last couple of minutes? Just as you could tell that Kyle could not miss early in the first half, I felt you could tell the same thing about Andre late in the game.
    I think Wisconsin knew it as well.

Don't know if anyone has said this before or not but, it's a travesty if "stone cold dre" does'nt get 10-15 shots a game.The kid is money.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    When His game becomes perfect, He will take His people "to the whole" and show them to be one with the universe. But other teams, He will fight to the pain, that's for sure. He will leave them in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

Inconceivable.

"No doubt 'Dre"

The thing I love about Dawkins is that he has no fear or conscience whatsoever. I'm absolutely loving his attitude. He comes in the game looking to score. I think it speaks volumes when players like Smith, Singler and Scheyer are looking to get him the ball down the stretch in his first true road game. The scary part is that he's really only exhibited his shot; there's no doubt he's capable of getting to the rim and when he adds that dimension, watch out.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but Dawkins brings something, an attitude/swagger, that Duke has been missing.

Between Dawkins and Mason, I look forward to every game that much more, just to see their development.
    Last edited by Classof06; 12-03-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Just wanted to add...

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDuke View Post
    Andre is actually in position to be a very potent offensive weapon for us. This will truly happen when he incorporates taking people to the whole to his game. We can not allow him just to stand on the perimeter and shoot three's. People are going to contest his shot, so he's going to have to start taking people to the whole.
    Andre is shooting an ungodly 78% from three in his past 4 games (14-18). I know what you're saying, but I'm pretty happy with letting him stand on the perimeter and shoot threes for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Andre is shooting an ungodly 78% from three in his past 4 games (14-18). I know what you're saying, but I'm pretty happy with letting him stand on the perimeter and shoot threes for now!
    Against UConn, Dawkins showed he can use the screen for a partial drive and a midrange jumper. Against UConn, he also got out on the fast break, got fouled and muscled the shot in off the glass.

Just because we haven't seen him do a lot of driving doesn't mean he can't. Right now the offense is set up so that Dawkins sits outside waiting to receive a pass and hit a three. I think he will show more dynamism as the season progresses and he shoulders a bigger offensive load for the Devils.

Heck

let's assume he sits on the perimeter and waits for his shot, he would still be commanding one defender all the time as they can't leave him alone. That means, the other guys have to worry about one less defender while driving to the hoop. I will take that as the worst case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Against UConn, Dawkins showed he can use the screen for a partial drive and a midrange jumper. Against UConn, he also got out on the fast break, got fouled and muscled the shot in off the glass.

Just because we haven't seen him do a lot of driving doesn't mean he can't. Right now the offense is set up so that Dawkins sits outside waiting to receive a pass and hit a three. I think he will show more dynamism as the season progresses and he shoulders a bigger offensive load for the Devils.
    Oh, I don't disagree at all. I was just pointing out that given he is currently averaging over 2 points per every 3 point attempt () during the past 4 games, I'm pretty content to just let him fire away for now!

Yes, Andre is a very good three point shooter. The next step is to see if he can shot fake and step in to a midrange jumper or draw contact on the drive. That is a HUGE step and I would be surprised if we saw it consistently any time soon. I would actually be surprised if we saw it this year at all.

Let's not get too excited folks. Andre is a very nice piece on this team right now, but he is a long way from being a good rounded basketball player. He needs work defensively and especially with ball handling (which he looks uncomfortable with).

Personally, I am hoping he can keep hitting those threes, get out on the break when needed, and PLAY SMART DEFENSE. Thats it. The rest is gravy for a freshman with his body type and maturity.

... and I say this as somebody who has chosen Andre Dawkins to fawn over as his next favorite player in Duke Basketball.

Andre's like J.J. at this stage in his career, only maybe better. Remember, J.J. in his early days wasn't known for his defense, only shooting. Right now, the team should be running plays for 'dre as soon as he gets in. 10-15 shots is the minimum; with a stroke like that, I want him to shoot every time down!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Personally, I am hoping he can keep hitting those threes, get out on the break when needed, and PLAY SMART DEFENSE. Thats it. The rest is gravy for a freshman with his body type and maturity.
    Defense will be the key to his development this year. He got lost a few times against WISC but that's to be expected. If he can learn the system and continue to do what he's done on offense (or even be a little less productive) he'll end up having a great 1st year.

Get um

I would like to see him continue to be himself