Pre-Game Napping

No, not for me - although I could certainly use one :-)

To keep this "on topic," I just saw a tweet from Shelden that indicated he just awoke from his pre-game nap and was getting ready for his game against the Miami Heat tonight. I seem to recall many other NBA players mentioning pre-game naps, but I do not recall this coming up as often for college players.

Does anyone have any insight into the "pre-game napping" ritual? Is it more prevalent in the NBA than college? Why?

Also, is there science/strategy behind it -- i.e., one performs most optimally X hours after being awake?

Perhaps some players just so busy that they do not get a sufficient amount of sleep during the typical night and must supplement with naps?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Perhaps some players just so busy that they do not get a sufficient amount of sleep during the typical night and must supplement with naps?
    Bingo. Although "so busy" generally means staying out late at da club. [not implying this about Shel, as he is married etc. But in general.]

Ummmm....Jason Kidd was married. So is Stephen Marbury and those two are crazy party animals. Being married seems nothing. Being responsible does, which is what Shelden is.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    Bingo. Although "so busy" generally means staying out late at da club. [not implying this about Shel, as he is married etc. But in general.]
    Though the baby might explain the need for pre-game naps.

Some people take them because naps make them feel refreshed. Some people (myself included) just wake up feeling groggy... I could never nap before a game, I'll tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Though the baby might explain the need for pre-game naps.
    Spoken like a real dad!

Coach K

Coach K referenced pre-game naps in his books. I think it is a great way for the coaches, players, staff, etc to get some extra energy for a very draining event.

I'm sure it's also hard to fall asleep right after a game if you've got your adrenaline pumping. And especially when you're on the road, and may hit 4 different cities in 5 nights or something crazy like that, you can get jet-lagged.