Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fouls

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I wouldn't be to concerned about the tendency of our bigs to get fouls. Once Mason gets back that will give us 4 legit bigs and 20 fouls to play with.
    My point wasn't that Duke doesn't have fouls to give. Rather, a good defensive team doesn't put other teams at the line unnecessarily. Most teams (UNC and UConn excepted) would love to shoot free throws and to get into the bonus quickly.

If this team is to be really good, it's got to cut down on the fouls, and that will fall largely on Miles, Zoubs, and Lance. We'll see how foul-prone Mason is.

we have learned that we are not "unathletic"

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I wouldn't be to concerned about the tendency of our bigs to get fouls. Once Mason gets back that will give us 4 legit bigs and 20 fouls to play with.
    Remember the Battier article from last winter, where Battier explained that fouling your opponent was the worst possible outcome of a defensive stand?

First, a lot of big man fouls bail the offensive player out when they are more likely to miss a tough shot or be forced into making a distressed pass. Second, a foul limits a defensive player's future potential minutes and can also limit that player's style of play (ie taking away their aggressiveness). Third, a big man fouling an opponent more than 15 feet from the rim is never acceptable - think moving screens, reaching in, hedging too aggressively.

If our big men can move guys away from the blocks without fouling, cut off passing lanes without reaching in and play a shooter stright up to force them into tough shots - we'll be better off than playing hack-a-shaq.

Most college big men arent very skilled by definition (the skilled ones dont stay in college long). So if a defender can force a big man into doing non-big man things - taking a dribble, making a cross-court pass, shooting with a hand in your face - then we can defend better without fouling.

Of course, this is easier said than done...

I think a lot of good things have happened for Duke already this season. A lot of questions have been answered positively. Here are a few things that, going into the season, weren't guaranteed to happen but have so far been true about Duke.

• Duke is an excellent FT shooting team. We currently rank 10th in the country, and the only major conference teams ahead of us are Oklahoma and Colorado. I think this is one huge area where we hold a competitive advantage over other national contenders.
    • Z and LT are solid players that you can count on for certain positive things game in and game out. Some may have considered this to be likely, but imo, there was no guarantee. Z will be a factor all season with his rebounding and size, as will Lance with his help defense, energy, and leadership.
    • Andre looks great and Ryan looks very competent as well. How often have we seen freshmen just be completely lost and unable to contribute? If Mason can be the good player that everyone thinks he is, then overall, the freshmen will have really deepened our team. There was no guarantee going into the season that Duke would be 8 deep, but that's where we seem to be at least. And it's great to see.
    • Nolan stepping up his game and being good for 15 ppg or so (he's averaging 18 now). Again, I would say, based on preseason reports, this was likely but it's still good to see it happen on the court, no?
    • Same with the team adjusting well to a big lineup. Our interior defense and rebounding have been a pleasure to watch. There was a lot of preseason hype about that, and it's good to see the team back it up.

So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, those are things I'm grateful for that didn't necessarily have to happen but ARE happening, through 6 games.

I would count Jon being a very good PG, but that was something I thought was pretty much guaranteed to happen based on his play at PG last season, his talents and bball IQ, and his experience. I thought that was much more of a lock than those things above.

One thing we haven't really figured out yet is how good Kyle is. I mean, I know he's very good, but is he an All American (top 5 in the country)? Do we need him to be? (I think so). And, of course, we have to see what Mason can do and how he affects the team.

But again, a lot of good things are happening.

Kyle or Nolan?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    [*]Nolan stepping up his game and being good for 15 ppg or so (he's averaging 18 now). Again, I would say, based on preseason reports, this was likely but it's still good to see it happen on the court, no?

One thing we haven't really figured out yet is how good Kyle is. I mean, I know he's very good, but is he an All American (top 5 in the country)? Do we need him to be? (I think so).
    Is it better to have Singler as a the leading scorer or have Nolan make the leap and be that guy? I think Nolan's points can come a lot easier and he can make his teammates better because of his ability to get into the lane and either score or set up a big guy for a layup or kick out for a 3.

I'm going to throw this out there for discussion - Duke is a better team with Nolan scoring 18ppg and Singler scoring 16ppg than vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Is it better to have Singler as a the leading scorer or have Nolan make the leap and be that guy? I think Nolan's points can come a lot easier and he can make his teammates better because of his ability to get into the lane and either score or set up a big guy for a layup or kick out for a 3.

I'm going to throw this out there for discussion - Duke is a better team with Nolan scoring 18ppg and Singler scoring 16ppg than vice versa.
    I think it is a fantastic sign that Duke just beat ASU and UConn with Kyle struggling and Mason hurt. Kyle is most likely adjusting to life with more offensive players and playing SF. He seems to be forcing some shots. He will break out for a long stretch this year...and if Mason gives us half of what was hoped for we're in great shape.

I think you're overreacting to a couple of games. When Singler is on, and he usually is, he is far and away our best all-around offensive threat. He obviously lacks Nolan's quickness, but he's more than capable of getting into the lane and scoring inside, and he's at least as good a passer and shooter as Nolan. But I don't think we need to choose - if they both score 18 ppg, all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    I think you're overreacting to a couple of games. When Singler is on, and he usually is, he is far and away our best all-around offensive threat.
    I agree. Once Singler fully adjusts to playing on the wing, he will be a huge match-up problem for our opponents. A 6'8" athletic (I had to say that) small forward who can score the basketball multiple ways. If our big guys keep pounding the glass, and our guards knock down jump shots, Singler is going to wreck havoc on our opponents driving the lane and hitting those 8 - 10 foot floaters. If his defender backs off him, Singler will knock down the outside shot.
    Bob Green

Kyle. Quite simply, there are far more teams that can capably guard a 6'2" SG than a versatile 6'8" SF. Kyle is the far rarer bird, can be a huge matchup problem, and has the talent to be an All-American. He just had a couple off games in NY and it's a tough jump to go from being a good player to a great one. I think he'll get there, though.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs up Singler

I love the edge that Kyle plays with. He has that killer instinct in him and he is not afraid to mix it up.