Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    can someone explain this "Duke's smugness and elitism bothers me" line of thinking?

I don't recall any of the players on the Duke team EVER acting elite or smug (same with the coaches). In post game interviews, I have never heard our players or coaches be anything but complimentary to opposing teams. Even against UMD, Scheyer kind of shrugged off their chants aimed at him. One thing every coach, hands down, says is that Duke hustles and plays as hard or harder than anyone they have seen. That doesn't represent a team that is full of itself, but rather a team that is humble and fighting for every opportunity they can get.

Is it the fans? Yes, Duke fans have come to "expect" a certain level of play. But that is no different than Kentucky fans (who are worse, imo), UNC fans, UConn fans, and so on and so forth. TDD is no better and no worse than any of the many fan forums out there in terms of irrationality and exuberance. There is no smugness or elitism that pervades the Duke board that isnt present on the other fan sites.

Is it the students? Has to be. Yes, Duke is an elite private university. However, if you wander down Franklin Street, you will certainly see your fair share of BMWs rolling around. Similarly, at Duke there are plenty of students who take out significant debt to pay for their education. Additionally, while Duke's tuition is sky high (40k maybe??), UNC's out of state tuition is still 23k. That ain't exactly free folks, and is financially unattainable for a majority of families. Baylor's tuition is right at 27k and Villanova's is at 38k. Both fanbases have hurled those accusations at us, and they seem to be a little hypocritical.

Coach K? Probably, although I am not sure why. Yes, he rides the referees. Please show me a coach that doesnt. Frank Martin nearly bursts a vessel every game yelling at the regs. Gary sweats up a storm stomping and complaining. Huggins turns a shade of purple he screams so hard. Its part of the game. Like the players, I have never heard coach K be anything but gracious in an interview.

Have these just become buzz words that people throw around despite their absolute inaccuracy? Marcus Ginyard had some direct and pointed comments about the Duke program this past offseason. Reggie Bullock just made some comments about Duke's players. Roy compared his program's season to a massive disaster in Haiti (if that isn't elitism then I don't kno what is). We have seen opposing players mock our team. I have never seen or heard such behavior from a Duke program.

So if anyone can explain the on going basis for these assertions, I', all ears (and I know I am preaching to the quire).
    There are too many ex-Heels in journalism. They get confused when Duke players use complete sentences and are polite to them- it just reeks of elitism and smugmatism. Throw in a few Reggie Bullock-type childish quotes and the "immaturity quotient" kicks in. Voila!

LOL @ the Coach K Onion piece. That was hate, that was just funny!!!

I think Duke Hate is all about Coach K. He is contained, and never shows emotion (or at least very little) to the press. They can't break him down, and even though I am a huge fan of his, I have to confess that his calm (and conversely his yelling on the court) would be very annoying to me if he was not our coach. He is a good man who sets high standards, and takes pride in doing so. That can come across as arrogant. Americans like their heroes flawed (which we all are), but they also like the flaws to show.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski voices displeasure with newspaper's 'juvenile' artwork

This is so distasteful that it probably deserves its own thread. I hope Coach K uses it as a motivation.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ting-artwork/1

Here is the picture the article is referring:

http://www.collegehoopsjournal.com/2...om-newsstands/

Quote Originally Posted by GODUKEGO View Post
    This is so distasteful that it probably deserves its own thread. I hope Coach K uses it as a motivation.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ting-artwork/1

Here is the picture the article is referring:

http://www.collegehoopsjournal.com/2...om-newsstands/
    That newspaper drawing is an attempt to be a little "too cute." It will backfire to Duke's benefit.

"Juvenile" is too kind a word.

In my opinion.

K is completely correct, the hate is THEIR problem, not ours. Hate only poisions the hater. I get as upset at times with the nonsense as the next guy, but it is Easter weekend the most special time of year for me, AND Duke is in the FF. How upset can I get??

I hope that everyone has a blessed weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    K is completely correct, the hate is THEIR problem, not ours. Hate only poisions the hater.
    J. D. Salinger said it best
    "Most of the people you hate, don't know, the rest don't care."

It Has Gone Too Far!

Not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but this just posted at ESPN. This is way beyond the normal Duke hate level and appearing in the Indianapolis Star on the front of the sports section is absolutely unacceptable. Let's hope it just adds more motivation to the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5051114

Quote Originally Posted by dukeforester View Post
    Not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but this just posted at ESPN. This is way beyond the normal Duke hate level and appearing in the Indianapolis Star on the front of the sports section is absolutely unacceptable. Let's hope it just adds more motivation to the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5051114
    Posted in the Duke Hate Tsunami thread already.

Yes, just saw it. Sorry for not checking before posting, but it really made me mad.

Mods can delete this thread.

The Indy paper should take pics of some of these rubes strolling around downtown in their XXXL yellow wv tshirts and navy butler crocs. It's quite a scene.
    We're getting the usual amount of hoots and hollers from the lumpish hordes.
    Sorry, but they invite the condescension.

Anybody but Duke

Here's the latest

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/4/2/139...caa-tournament

Most of what he says is too inane to even respond to. At this point I really just don't care anymore.

It is time...to do what our detractors accuse us of doing: buy the results we want. We need to buy all the major sports outlets and fire the numbskulls who keep writing these steaming piles of dog poop.

Hey SB Nation, go stick your heads in a bucket

So why "publish" this crap SBNation?
    You'll make it up to us? Why bother?
    The old Elton Brand letter exchange? Are you all that lazy and and bored that you pull that old chestnut out AGAIN?!
    I'm so truly sorry that I now get your rather dull poached articles. You're the Sports Illustrated of the web: outdated info and yawn inducing stories.
    Very deletable.

Tiresome and pitiful retreads. Remind me not to click on your advertising, too.

Not really that surprising ....

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    Here's the latest

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/4/2/139...caa-tournament

Most of what he says is too inane to even respond to. At this point I really just don't care anymore.
    Looking at his SBNation bio: Washington DC resident, fan of UNC. Probably just way too bitter by way of the continual ACC competitiveness of Duke. Great fodder for a psych evaluation. Hope that he puts as much time into the rest of his life as he does into his diatribe against Duke.

I am fairly certain that Coach K was a guest on the Mike and Mike show on the day prior to Gottlieb's hatchet job. Talk about timing! I guess it's asking too much for him to take a coaching job like Lavin.

Quote Originally Posted by JonPessah View Post
    First, why so angry? Hasn't Duke taught you to argue your point without insulting the integrity of the person you are arguing against?

Second, regarding how to reconcile writing about social injustice with at times rooting against Duke would be to believe that Duke is as pure as you say. I ask you to consider that Dukes does not play in a vacuum. They are as much a part of an exploitive system as any other member of the college entertainment industry, one that generates billions of dollars of revenue.

And is there really that much difference between paying the top high school stars under the table as attracting upper middle class players with a country club lifestyle that costs $397,000 per player and access to many of the post powerful executives on Wall Street?

Either way, they still pay in the same game
    Pessah is a Pisher. Ignore him and his ignorance. He has no interest in getting facts straight. All he wants are factoids that he can manipulate. His comment regarding: "upper middle class players with a country club lifestyle that costs $397,000 per player," says it all. He should know that that number is inflammatory and completely lacking context. He doesn't care. His professes that his misspelling of "Dukie" is due to his ignorance, but in the next breath claims he has intimate knowledge of the "bunker" mentality because of extensive and intimate conversations with Coach K and the Duke "family." Even times he claims to write "pro-Duke" articles, there are bitter little digs thrown in.

Frankly, Pessah's appearance on this board raises great suspicion. Pessah admits that the Duke "family" felt betrayed by his "article" after they had granted him such intimate access. I would caution posters here from being goaded into an argument that he could twist for publication by close-cropping quotes and reproducing statements out of context (like the "$397,000 per player"). And he impugns the morality of college basketball coaches ...

The Lacrosse team and the lax players' out of control conduct leading up to the infamous incident, is as much to blame for the current spate of hate as anything. It reinforced a stereotype which may not be numerically true but may be more influential than Duke alum and fans care to admit - Northeastern, wealthy and entitled. Is it fair? Not by a long shot. Is there some basis? Unfortunately, yes.

The Duke hatred can be compared to the "ugly American" stereotype. There are enough obnoxious Americans to have earned a stereotype which lead to occasional less than cheerful greetings. The key is what happens next. Do Americans and Dukies charm or annoy? Rather than belittle the NC local that hates on the Duke on our shirt, or shout at the Frenchman who refuses to speak English, or flame the attention-seeking journalists, let's rise above and give them reason to root for Duke, or at least hate us less.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Game, set, match.

Let's see Mr. Pessah respond to Mudge's post. My guess is he won't.

P.S. I was at the K Academy Pessah attended. He's a better writer than he is a basketball player. And I think he's a crappy writer.
    Wow, going after a guy's game is really hitting below the belt.

I continue to be disappointed at the level of discourse many of you feel you need to make a point. That said, you continue to miss mine: if you play in the sandbox, you get dirty. Has Mike Krzyzewski ever spoken out against Huggins' poor behavior and wretched graduation rates? Has he ever used his bully pulpit to address the many objectionable things he knows go on in college basketball? Or even to address the lacrosse situation on his own campus?

I have never said that Mike wasn't an exceptional coach. But I will say that most of the coaches and players I've known who think they've been treated unfairly will tell you that to your face.

good safety tip from BD...remember, "off the record" does not exist on the internets...