Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    UNC looked so much better than I expected them to that I had to turn it off. Tremendous room for improvement but that in and of itself is a bit disconcerting. They were sloppy, but sloppy can throw off a disciplined opponent. And sloppy coupled with confidence can sometimes be a winning combination. You can't depend on it night after night, but it's scarry to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Wheat,
    Even the crowd seemed alive for a change.
    Congratulations on a BIG win.
    Yeah, Roy scolded the crowd after the Nevada game, going so far as to tell the folks that didn't show up that he was going to sell "their dad-gum ticket" for the MSU game.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...es-428939.html

I guess that was enough to get them up last night. We'll see how long it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Drew - I was impressed with Larry Drew for two reasons and unimpressed for others last night. His jumper is better than I thought, and his handles are impressive. He seems to push the ball without purpose sometimes though and that forces him into corners, bad shots or hurried passes to unready teammates. He is better than I expected but the speed of the game throws off his decisions and instincts a bit.

Thompson - He looked bad. 5 TOs from a big are unacceptable. He is a finesse guy though. Does not like contact on his post moves.

Davis - His dunk at the end sealed it. If he can get a solid drop-step move, he'll be special. A ways to go before he's a consistent 15-16 ppg guy.

Wears, Zeller, Henson - All good hands as was previously mentioned, all willing to shoot, none are confident in their abilities yet.
    Agreed on the player analyses. Drew had his best game considering the competition. He got a few lucky shots (one 12 foot sideways runner off-balance that found it's way in sticks out in my mind), but was otherwise still shot well. And a 6:1 assist:turnover ratio is nothing to sneeze at, especially in a game like this.

I'd group Carolina's big men like this (in terms of style): Davis, and the rest. Davis is VERY unpolished but he's the only one who really tries to mix it up inside. Everyone else looks for finesse shots. Thompson is very good with his turnaround jumper and baby hook, but he wants no part of the banging. Zeller has great hands, shooting touch and athleticism, but he wants even less of the banging. The Wears are very fundamentally sound, but against good bigs they sort of disappear to the periphery, getting spot-up buckets and loose change only. It's hard to say what they'll become when they catch up to the speed of the college game, but right now they're just filler with jumpshots in my opinion.

And yes - their bigs do turn it over too much. That being said, there aren't a lot of teams that are equipped to handle Carolina's bigs. They're fairly athletic, mostly skilled, and there are a lot of them. If Carolina's wings can shoot enough to prevent teams from collapsing on them, they'll be a top-5 or top-10 team, simply because there just aren't many good teams that I've seen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Defense- Better than expected. They forced a frenetic pace that MSU tried to adopt as well. Why didnt Izzo slow the game down? Of course, MSU looked like crap in half court sets too.

Overall, I thought the game was disjointed a sloppy. UNC is not prepared to push the ball as much as they do. They have all the tools to do it, but the guys are not ready for a track meet with their decision making skills.

Super "Roy is so goofy" Dave
    MSU is built to run. They have athletic (though a bit undersized) big men and a bunch of fast wing players. Lucas and Lucious are very small and can fly. Izzo feels that their best chance to win is to run, because in the half-court they're not as strong.

The problem for them is that UNC also wants to run, and that took a lot of the sting out of MSU's transition game. It seemed like every time MSU got a fast-break bucket, UNC countered with another one.

You could see portents of UNC's first half against MSU in the last seven minutes or so of their game against Nevada. They'll still be up and down, with streaky three point shooting and continuing problems at the free throw line, but they'll be very dangerous any given night.

It was painful to watch NCSU. Looking at their sparse crowd you get the feeling they are headed toward becoming...Iowa. Where the heck were the fans in Iowa? Was there a blizzard or something?

Can we draft Trevor Booker???

Good first half for the ACC. Clemson is assured a win.

BC Could blow it, but they've got a safe lead.

Miami down 5 at half, but was in it throughout the half.

I think BC wins, putting us up 5-4, with Duke Clinching it.

If Miami was also to win, a 7-4 or 8-3 final challenge score would be just awesome.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

So, the big 10 takes gas again? I thought this was their year. Guess not.

Clemson lead down to 4. My God. How do you blow a 20 point lead at home?
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Clemson lead down to 4. My God. How do you blow a 20 point lead at home?
    Illinois was just up 2. Tied again now.

Even if the ACC wins the "Challenge," it's obvious that this is not a strong year for the conference (based on everything I've seen this year).

Turn on ESPN to get ready to watch the Duke game with my wife and see that Clemson is in a dog fight and hear something of someone blowing a 23 point lead. Then I realize it's Clemson. Are you serious, p*ssing away a lead of that, at home, on national TV in a marquee inter-conference challenge? Then they wonder why they there are not held in the same regard as Duke or UNC even when they are top 20 or better.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    Turn on ESPN to get ready to watch the Duke game with my wife and see that Clemson is in a dog fight and hear something of someone blowing a 23 point lead. Then I realize it's Clemson. Are you serious, p*ssing away a lead of that, at home, on national TV in a marquee inter-conference challenge? Then they wonder why they there are not held in the same regard as Duke or UNC even when they are top 20 or better.
    And the worst of it all is that the game is going to go over the allotted TV time. Unless we get the Duke game on an alternate ESPN channel we will miss the start for sure. Ugh... Thanks Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Good first half for the ACC. Clemson is assured a win.
    You are an idiot.

[and i mean that in the nicest way possible. ]

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    And the worst of it all is that the game is going to go over the allotted TV time. Unless we get the Duke game on an alternate ESPN channel we will miss the start for sure. Ugh... Thanks Clemson.
    That's the one thing I hate about the 9/930 start times. Even though I get a chance to settle in after a day at work, take care of some chores, play with my lil daughter, etc. it just is annoying to get all excited about a game, turn on the station and see that the game before will eat about the first 5 minutes of the Duke game...the nerve...LOL

9:22 Tipoff

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    That's the one thing I hate about the 9/930 start times. Even though I get a chance to settle in after a day at work, take care of some chores, play with my lil daughter, etc. it just is annoying to get all excited about a game, turn on the station and see that the game before will eat about the first 5 minutes of the Duke game...the nerve...LOL
    Duke tipoff at 9:22 according to the crawl...

Sagegrouse

If Clemson-Illinois goes long, I think that espn360.com will show our game...for those of us who can get it

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Sagegrouse
    Duke won the tip and turned it over (watching on ESPN360).

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Sagegrouse
    Thanks for the tip and...

Clemson = embarrassment

Clemson loss is devastating.

19. Yikes we're not playing well right now...
    - Bigs missing layups
    - Nolan not playing with his head

If we win this game, we win the "Challenge!!!"

Clemson should be embarrassed.