Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Red face The Bad News in the NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Got it. I'm only halfway on the bandwagon yet. I cheer long and hard, but I don't know nearly as much about the team as I should.

So, for the guys who are leaving, what are their pro prospects?
    Here's the bad news. From the Wash Post, here are the players drafted by member school over the past five years:

NFL draft picks.

Team NFL draft picks 2005-2009 Record 2005-2009
    Code:
    Florida State          26     36-26 
    Virginia Tech           24     49-15 
    Miami                   24     35-25 
    Virginia                 22     29-30 
    Clemson                 17     39-22 
    N.C. State              16     25-34 
    Maryland                13     30-30 
    Georgia Tech          12      42-21 
    Wake Forest           11     36-26 
    North Carolina         11     27-31 
    Boston College        10     46-17 
    Duke                  0      11-46

Source: pro-football-reference.com

It's a little hard to read, but the gist is the 11 other teams in the ACC had between ten and 24 players chosen in the NFL draft. Duke had 0, zero, zippo, nada, rien, nothing.

The next pair of numbers is overall record for these five years. Duke's 11-46 compares with State's second worse, 25-34. And, of course, Duke has won most of its games in the past two seasons.

This is a dismal picture. Lets see what the seniors get this year.

sagegrouse
    'I knew there was a talent gap, but this is embarrassing'

I just read something I thought I should share here. Thad either owns or shares a total of FORTY-EIGHT records at Duke. For people that say he was bound to accumulate stats just from being a starter for 4 years, that admittedly plays into his 25 career marks. But you don't pick up 17 season and 6 game records just because you played 4 years. Guy has been a great QB for us, and though I'm excited for the future and the guys we have to fill in for him I'll miss his play tremendously.

Imagine what he could have looked like with a good line, complimentary running game, and all 4 years under Cut...

FBS wins for the past two seasons

This list of FBS teams and their total wins over the last two seasons was posted by someone on a Gator board I frequent, and I was proud to see how much progress Duke has made relative to some other prominent programs, so I thought it would be of interest here, too:

24 - Florida

23 - Boise State, Texas and Alabama

22 - TCU and Utah

21 - Cincinnati and Penn State

20 - Ohio State

19 - BYU, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Oregon and USC

18 - Virginia Tech, Pitt, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma

17 - Houston, Central Michigan, Northwestern, Nebraska, Missouri, Oregon State, Cal and Ole Miss

16 - East Carolina, Troy, Navy, Boston College, North Carolina, West Virginia, Georgia and LSU

15 - Tulsa, Air Force, Nevada, Clemson, Florida State, Miami (FL), South Florida, Rutgers, Wisconsin and Michigan State

14 - Southern Miss, Temple, Western Michigan, Ball State, Fresno State, Arizona and Kentucky

13 - Northern Illinois, Middle Tennessee, Notre Dame, Connecticut, Minnesota, Kansas and South Carolina

12 - Rice, Ohio, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Louisiana-Lafayette, Hawaii, Wake Forest, Stanford, Arkansas and Auburn

11 - UCF, Louisiana Tech, Kansas State and Tennessee

10 - Marshall, Colorado State, Louisiana-Monroe, Florida Atlantic, NC State, Maryland, Texas A&M and UCLA

9 - UAB, Kent State, Wyoming, UNLV, Idaho, Duke, Louisville, Purdue, Arizona State and Vanderbilt

8 - Memphis, UTEP, Toledo, FIU, Arkansas State, Army, Virginia, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa State, Colorado, Baylor and Mississippi State

7 - SMU, Arkon, San Jose State, Syracuse and Indiana

6 - San Diego State, New Mexico State and Utah State

5 - Tulane and New Mexico

3 - Miami (OH), Eastern Michigan, North Texas, Washington and Washington State

2 - Western Kentucky