Celtics vs. Magic on Deadspin

http://deadspin.com/5410831/tv-guide...matchup-update

i'm sorry to say i missed this game (don't have the bones to pony up for league pass this year), but i'm glad to see that the story line i found most interesting was not lost on the cable programmers.

Wow, that's pretty funny. And weird. I wonder if the guy who writes the descriptions is some big Duke fan who was putting in his own little joke.

And, *sigh*, I was totally looking forward to watching that game, if my roommate hadn't broken my TV . . .

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post

i'm sorry to say i missed this game (don't have the bones to pony up for league pass this year), but i'm glad to see that the story line i found most interesting was not lost on the cable programmers.
    Apparently, in the mind of the author of the article, anything that isn't about promoting Duke hate is, in her words, "just weird". I like how she encouraged viewers to alert her via email if they saw any more blatant "Pro-Duke" bias. LOL

"If you see anymore evidence of pro-Duke bias from your TV's program guide, please forward because that's really weird. Send an email to Dashiell Bennett, the author of this post, at dashiell@deadspin.com"

Smile Me Too

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post

I saw that when channel surfing during the game. I didn't know about Deadspin, and I didn't trust my memory to quote it verbatim.

Funny.

sagegrouse

I heard the ESPN promo for the game highlighting the Duke angle, and it gave me pause. This same language made it to print.

So the language originated in Connecticut.

My guess is that it was an inside joke that somehow slipped out.

Or else Duke truly does have serious advertising cache.

haha pretty awesome, ran across this same thing twice and swore my eyes were playing games with me...hopefully in not too long that will be a legit storyline

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Apparently, in the mind of the author of the article, anything that isn't about promoting Duke hate is, in her words, "just weird". I like how she encouraged viewers to alert her via email if they saw any more blatant "Pro-Duke" bias. LOL

"If you see anymore evidence of pro-Duke bias from your TV's program guide, please forward because that's really weird. Send an email to Dashiell Bennett, the author of this post, at dashiell@deadspin.com"
    Wow... I think you might be a bit too oversensitive. It is "just weird" that that is how they billed the game between Orlando and Boston. Really weird. In any case, the author said nothing about Duke-hate or hating Duke. The author merely asked for people to point out more strange happenings of Duke love on cable programming guides

Why am I bothering with this statement? Well, because I think people need to spend a little less time feeling slighted by Duke "hate" in the media. A lot of people seem to think that if a journalist isn't heaping praise on Duke, then said journalist or media outlet must HATE Duke. This is a case in point. There's nothing here for or against Duke. The author merely observes that something is funny.

I mean really... would you find it odd if a Cavs-Lakeres matchup was billed as a throwdown between JJ Hickson and Josh Powell because they both went to NC State? If you found that odd, would that be because you hate NCSU or because you'd be thinking, "What about Bron-Bron and The Mamba?"

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Wow... I think you might be a bit too oversensitive. It is "just weird" that that is how they billed the game between Orlando and Boston. Really weird. In any case, the author said nothing about Duke-hate or hating Duke. The author merely asked for people to point out more strange happenings of Duke love on cable programming guides

Why am I bothering with this statement? Well, because I think people need to spend a little less time feeling slighted by Duke "hate" in the media. A lot of people seem to think that if a journalist isn't heaping praise on Duke, then said journalist or media outlet must HATE Duke. This is a case in point. There's nothing here for or against Duke. The author merely observes that something is funny.

I mean really... would you find it odd if a Cavs-Lakeres matchup was billed as a throwdown between JJ Hickson and Josh Powell because they both went to NC State? If you found that odd, would that be because you hate NCSU or because you'd be thinking, "What about Bron-Bron and The Mamba?"
    Actually this is not a "case in point". To read one post and decide that if I don't see lots and lots of praise heaped on Duke then I declare it to be Duke hate is quite the assumption on your part. Like most people, all I want is fair, objective, and unbiased journalists in the media.

I am not overly sensitive to the Duke hate. After 10 years of it I am about to the point of being numb to it. But there is still a lot of Duke Hate in the media, some of it is loud and clear, while some is subtle.

You did not see anything with the article and comments which is fine. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with a another person's opinion. But to turn around and lecture the poster you disagree with is really not ok.

From an ex-Dukie standpoint, the game wasn't all that great. Shelden played about 7 minutes in the first half, got a bucket and a couple of boards, and that was it. Don't think J.J. got more than 5 minutes of P.T., don't remember him scoring although he might have. I think J.J.'s headed back for the Orlando bench; still too many guys in front of him that can shoot 3s and do more. Shelden will still get minutes in Boston, but hard to say what will happen when Big Baby gets back. Too bad.

Actually this is not a "case in point". To read one post and decide that if I don't see lots and lots of praise heaped on Duke then I declare it to be Duke hate is quite the assumption on your part. Like most people, all I want is fair, objective, and unbiased journalists in the media.

I am not overly sensitive to the Duke hate. After 10 years of it I am about to the point of being numb to it. But there is still a lot of Duke Hate in the media, some of it is loud and clear, while some is subtle.

You did not see anything with the article and comments which is fine. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with a another person's opinion. But to turn around and lecture the poster you disagree with is really not ok.
    Speaking of oversensitivity, geez. I apologize that you felt lectured. The post was directed at the "global" Duke fan, not just you.

In fact, it was a "case in point". The idiom "case in point" means a relative illustrative example. I was making a point. I was using your post as the example. Here, I was making the point that people are oversensitive about Duke hate. You say that some Duke hate is "loud and clear, while some is subtle." I think your oversensitivity makes you think that Duke hate is out there when its not. The author off the original piece said nothing negative. You put your own connotation on the small piece and claimed that the author thought that a lack of Duke hate was "just weird". In reality the author thought that the game being billed as JJ v. Landlord was "just weird". And, frankly, it was. You put the spin on it. Just, as I feel, many Duke fans do with the national and local media.

Consequently, it was the perfect "case in point".

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Speaking of oversensitivity, geez. I apologize that you felt lectured. The post was directed at the "global" Duke fan, not just you.

In fact, it was a "case in point". The idiom "case in point" means a relative illustrative example. I was making a point. I was using your post as the example. Here, I was making the point that people are oversensitive about Duke hate. You say that some Duke hate is "loud and clear, while some is subtle." I think your oversensitivity makes you think that Duke hate is out there when its not. The author off the original piece said nothing negative. You put your own connotation on the small piece and claimed that the author thought that a lack of Duke hate was "just weird". In reality the author thought that the game being billed as JJ v. Landlord was "just weird". And, frankly, it was. You put the spin on it. Just, as I feel, many Duke fans do with the national and local media.

Consequently, it was the perfect "case in point".
    Ok. This is my last post on the subject, as I honestly do not want to argue back and forth or be snarky. But let me defend myself in as few words as possible.

- I knew what you were doing and I certainly know what "Case In Point" means. You took my post and presented it as evidence that an entire group of people are oversensitive and see Duke Hate when there is none. I do not disagree that there are some people who fall in that category. But to be totally fair, there is also a group of people who refuse to see the hate when it is blatant. Those folks will reason it away with all kinds of excuses.

-That one post is not nearly enough evidence to convict me of the over-sensitive crime.

-My only point was that in my mind, if the caption had read "Watch Former Heel Vince Carter and the Magic go against Fellow UNC Alum Rasheed Wallace and the Boston Celtics", nothing would have been said. I just don't thing we would have seen the complaint nor do I believe the author would have requested that people be on the lookout for more Pro-UNC captions"

I certainly could be wrong about that and you could be right. However, if I had to bet on it, I would say we never see the article if any other college other than Duke is referenced in the caption.

Anyway, a fair debate and I am certainly not always correct. But that is how I saw the article and the reason I shared it with the board.

Peace
    Last edited by Newton_14; 11-24-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: my normal typo

-My only point was that in my mind, if the caption had read "Watch Former Heel Vince Carter and the Magic go against Fellow UNC Alum Rasheed Wallace and the Boston Celtics", nothing would have been said. I just don't thing we would have seen the complaint nor do I believe the author would have requested that people be on the lookout for more Pro-UNC captions"
    That's because Wallace and Carter are major players and former All-Stars. Carter starts for his team. In contrast, Shelden and JJ are role players and come off the bench. Sometimes they're not even that much. That's why most of us thought Deadspin was right in labeling the description as "just weird"--it's weird to frame a game as a battle between two players who have been (fairly or unfairly) at the end of the rotation for most of their careers.

To be fair, IIRC, I'm pretty sure Deadspin has made blatantly anti-Duke comments before, but I just think this post by itself was fair.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    That's because Wallace and Carter are major players and former All-Stars. Carter starts for his team. In contrast, Shelden and JJ are role players and come off the bench. Sometimes they're not even that much. That's why most of us thought Deadspin was right in labeling the description as "just weird"--it's weird to frame a game as a battle between two players who have been (fairly or unfairly) at the end of the rotation for most of their careers.

To be fair, IIRC, I'm pretty sure Deadspin has made blatantly anti-Duke comments before, but I just think this post by itself was fair.
    Fair points and I appreciate the feedback. I too agree, call it weird, odd, out of place or whatever, that they chose to use the Duke angle in the caption for the most part. But, Duke does sell, by being both loved and hated, so maybe it was used in attempt to attract additional viewers or it was directed at a market where there is a strong Duke alum presence or something.

I see where both you and Mulletman are coming from. But even if they used other role players from different schools I am not sure it gets pointed out. That is really the main point I had on it if that makes sense.

Maybe this is a better way of stating what my point was: I agree that it was an out of place Duke reference in the caption, but it was something that was promoting Duke and positive.

Had it been an out of place Duke reference, but was something that was negative about Duke, I don't believe the author would have pointed it out or had a problem with it.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 11-24-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Which begs the question: How often is an NBA game described in terms of players' college experiences?

-jk