Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    At this point I hope Zoubek fouls out so that K doesn't have the option of playing him.

Miles Plumlee and Mason Plumlee are our only hope in the post.

LOVED that awesome block Miles just had.

Reality Check

I was very excited about this team based on what I had heard from others, but tonight was the first time I have seen them play.

Unfortunately, unless Mason Plumlee is the 2nd coming of Greg Oden, this is not going to be a very strong Duke team. Losing Henderson and Williams (and not getting Wall) really hurts.

Outside of Nolan Smith, they lack quickness and athleticism and guys like Zoubek (I just don't think Duke can afford to play him at the detriment of developing either of the Plumlee brothers) and Ryan Kelly are very, very unathletic. Andrew Dawkins is a bright spot, he has a great stroke and looks like he is going to be a very good player, but again he is not very ahtletic and doesn't seem like the type of player who can create his own shot. Maybe that will develop? Tough given he is not that quick and not a great leaper.

It just seems like elite, athletic players no longer come to Duke with any consistency. I don't think it's not for a lack of trying, but for some reason they choose other programs.

Getting Harrison Barnes would have been huge. I just hope they get Roscoe Smith and he and the rest of the class are able to raise the athletic ability of the program up to the level of the other elite programs. Hopefully that will allow Duke to make a deep run the in the NCAA tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Dukie View Post
    I was very excited about this team based on what I had heard from others, but tonight was the first time I have seen them play.

Unfortunately, unless Mason Plumlee is the 2nd coming of Greg Oden, this is not going to be a very strong Duke team. Losing Henderson and Williams (and not getting Wall) really hurts.

Outside of Nolan Smith, they lack quickness and athleticism and guys like Zoubek (I just don't think Duke can afford to play him at the detriment of developing either of the Plumlee brothers) and Ryan Kelly are very, very unathletic. Andrew Dawkins is a bright spot, he has a great stroke and looks like he is going to be a very good player, but again he is not very ahtletic and doesn't seem like the type of player who can create his own shot. Maybe that will develop? Tough given he is not that quick and not a great leaper.

It just seems like elite, athletic players no longer come to Duke with any consistency. I don't think it's not for a lack of trying, but for some reason they choose other programs.

Getting Harrison Barnes would have been huge. I just hope they get Roscoe Smith and he and the rest of the class are able to raise the athletic ability of the program up to the level of the other elite programs. Hopefully that will allow Duke to make a deep run the in the NCAA tourney.
    I just think it's more a case of shooting poorly in an arena. Singler and Smith have taken a ton of shots that they are capable of making, and will make in the near future.

There are some causes for concern. Don't like the minutes Zoubek has gotten, and I don't like the lack of minutes Dawkins has had considering he is one of the few guys playing with confidence tonight. K needs to realize that his rotation needs to rely less on Zoubek and Thomas and more on Dawkins and the Plumlees.

Agree

Smith, Scheyer, Singler, MP1, MP2, and Dawkins should get the majority of the minutes. Thomas and Zoubek are going to get pushed to the end of the bench

Zoubek is scary to watch tonight

Elliot Willaims would really, really help

Oh well

with the way that duke is playing, slow-playing the last four minutes is probably a good move.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Zoubs..

Obviously, not his best game but...that 5th foul looked VERY suspect to me. I also thought he got hosed on the 3rd they called on him when the AU player quite obviously jumped backwards into him.

7. People need to give Zoubek a break. He's 7'1 for goodness sake. If he was as quick as Nolan he'd be a #1 draft pick.

Anyway it looks like Coach K made some adjustments and we're playing better in the 2nd half.

Based on what I am seeing tonight, we have no chance against UCONN.

We obviously need to shoot the ball better to have any chance, but I think having Mason out really hurts--it just didn't show the first 4 games.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Obviously, not his best game but...that 5th foul looked VERY suspect to me. I also thought he got hosed on the 3rd they called on him when the AU player quite obviously jumped backwards into him.

Yeah, it was Glasser. That was a cop out call, he did get hosed.

Zoubs II...

Well...there's about a minute to go but at this point, Zoubek has outscored and outrebounded Boateng. Just sayin'...

Lance...Lance...LANCE!!!!

Gotta make that layup at the end. Jeez!

Just to round out the team's weaknesses being highlighted tonight, Lance misses an open layup at the buzzer. Oh well, I'll cheer for the guys all year anyway and be happy with whatever success they can achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Gotta make that layup at the end. Jeez!
    Scheyer woild have double digit assists if it weren't for the blown shots at the rim.

Wow, obviously not a huge deal, but Lance has to make those!! Is anyone just disgusted by the play of LT? He has no hands, STILL commits stupid fouls, can't shoot, no strength down low. It is unbelievable! Delete this post if you must for negativity, but man, Lance is extremely dissapointing.