Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

At this point...

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post
    "Alarmingly unathletic at some spots on the court" - Doug Gottlieb

Regrettably, I think he is correct. I'd like to see some more zone.
    the Ucons must be licking their chops.

Gottlieb Curse

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm blaming the team's subpar performance on the "Gottlieb Curse". Thanks for picking us Doug Oh, and now we're "alarmingly unathletic".
    Last edited by trey; 11-25-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: oops

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    It's hard to appreciate, at least for me, how poor Z's footwork still is until you see him live. Very much still a work in progress. And I wish I could put a leash on him and yank it every time. He chases someone to the top of the key and gives up the help defense down low.

The boys need to pick it up big time in the 2nd half, especially Kyle.

i don't like that gotleeb fellow...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    At the half, I actually feel comfortable saying that Herb is out-coaching K right now. We are not taking what they are giving to us. I have faith that the second half will be different.

However, for defensive purposes, going small has made a difference.
    I don't know how often AZ State was able to isolate one of their perimeter people against Zoubs or Plumlee 10-15 feet from the basket and go right around him. We're missing switches sometimes and just too slow other times.

Come on, Kyle, get it going.

Herb exposed a weakness in our switching. As soon as Dukes big guy switches off to cover their guard, the ballhandler penetrates and drives past him to either get a layup or more to the point dishing to their big guy for an easy bucket and our guard in a help situation. Duke needs better rotation and better boxing out.

I'm sure K will make the adjustments.

That was the worst defensive half i've seen from a Duke team in a long time.

This is my first good look at this team, and the inside play on both ends of the floor is not very impressive. Plumblee and Kelly look to need much more seasoning and Zoubek and Thomas look like...Zoubek and Thomas.

Scheyer looks good as usual, Singler too, but is forcing things a little so far tonight. Smith looks much more confident than last year and looks good.

Dawkins looks to have some real talent and fairly comfortable on the floor for a freshman.

Duke wings should be able to control this game in the second half, but issues are coming from Dukes inside game, or lack of it.

Oh, and the dorky black socks fit the Duke image

Good start to the 2nd half, nice block and nice take by Nolan!

I hope to see much less of Lance Thomas, the guy has little value to the team.

Nolan didn't get off of the team bus to play that first half. He got a few buckets, but emotionally, he just wasn't 'in' and right now, I'm not impressed with our energy level (or, level of commitment, it seems like).

Also, we have got to spend more time on our help defense. I counted seven times in that first half that we didn't help out.

I suspect we'll get it going this second half.

dth.

It's going to be hard for me to pick a man of the match this game.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    It's going to be hard for me to pick a man of the match this game.
    easy. scheyer or nolan so far
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Kyle is really forcing his game and he is getting frustrated. He needs to let the game come to him and relax.

Nolan needs to continue to go at the rim and when there needs to kick it to Jon and Andre for open looks.

Our bigs are getting too many fouls because their footwork on defense is terrible. Too slow.

COME ON DUKE
    The Terrapin Assassin

Pick n' Roll Killing Duke... K needs to go small for the rest of the game and see if they can hurt us inside. I am really questioning some of K's decisions (which I honestly never do)

I get this feeling that no one really cares about this game. Only one or two players is actually playing hard.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Our bigs have to stop switching off on screens near the top of the 3-pt line. This is a coaching flaw that needs to be corrected.

I don't think that matching up with ASU's big men is the way to go. We're adjusting too much to their team and style of play, when they should be adjusting to us, and when Duke should be dictating the tempo.

I would like to see Duke go a little smaller when Miles is not in the game. We're switching too liberally and their guards and forwards are exploiting the mismatches.

Blech

Arizona State isn't even that good. No energy in the building, either.

By all accounts, ASU is a fringe top 25 team AT BEST... Our inside players are not giving us any offensive production and Kyle is being smothered as a result? Mason better be crazy awesome, or we might be in for a long year.

Espn's online box score has Seth Curry 1/1 from the floor.

seth curry activated?

a mistake, obviously, but check out the espn box score at this moment...

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=293290150

Looks like K made the adjustments at half. Our bigs are showing switch but getting back to the lane and avoiding the mismatch.

I also think A.S is playing out of their minds. Surely they are going to run out of the high energy play.