Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Scheyer Stats

A big factor could be how strong the competition is next year. This coming year's Duke team could roll opponents better than anyone since 2002 and it could mean Kyle watches the final 5 minutes from the bench or pulls a Larry Bird and plays entire second halves left-handed.

I honestly see a more balanced team offensively and a big effort in the early season to establish the Plums as scoring threats. Look for Kyrie to replicate Jason Williams' freshman year - 13 and 6 maybe - and the 4-8 options to be in the 6-10 ppg range. If Kyle and Nolan average 16 a piece, Irving 13 and the 4-8 guys average out to 8 each, 9-12 average a combined 8 ppg...that adds up to 93 ppg which I think is the top end of the range for this team. Seems like a plausible and fairly likely scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    A big factor could be how strong the competition is next year. This coming year's Duke team could roll opponents better than anyone since 2002 and it could mean Kyle watches the final 5 minutes from the bench or pulls a Larry Bird and plays entire second halves left-handed.

I honestly see a more balanced team offensively and a big effort in the early season to establish the Plums as scoring threats. Look for Kyrie to replicate Jason Williams' freshman year - 13 and 6 maybe - and the 4-8 options to be in the 6-10 ppg range. If Kyle and Nolan average 16 a piece, Irving 13 and the 4-8 guys average out to 8 each, 9-12 average a combined 8 ppg...that adds up to 93 ppg which I think is the top end of the range for this team. Seems like a plausible and fairly likely scenario.
    Ummmm, you are really woofing a lot here. Lets temper the enthusiasm a tiny bit, ok?

I won't get into the specifics of some of your ppg assumptions except to point out that never in Coach K's history has a Duke team averaged 93 ppg. The 1999 team came close, with 91.8 ppg, but I think it is unreasonable to expect next year's team to blow opponents out like that. The 1999 club had 5 lottery picks on the roster. Next year's Duke club likely only has 2 or maybe 3.

--Jason "as for Singler and Smith stats... trust the master I'll get this set up nicely when the season rolls around" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Bob, I love ya, but your post is dated from January. Chiming in ~15 games into the season is a little late for gloating post facto, don't ya think
    Ah, but you missed the real object of my gloating. I was gloating about not jinxing Jon after multiple post accussing me of ruining the whole affair:

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    You need to perform some sort of major un-jinx immediately. Knock on several pieces of wood!
    All I'm going to say is this: Green, you'd better fix this. Fix it now.
    All the angst was unnecessary so I felt the urge to gloat. And besides when you're right as few times as I am it is never too late to gloat.
    Bob Green

Why don't we compromise and make it 2,500? The Scheyer goal was always 2,000, not a specific player. Let's stick with round numbers!
    I agree with the 2500 number. Seems unattainable which makes it all the better when he actually gets there.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke #33 View Post
    do you guys remember that game where he clearly took a three, but it counted as 2? it was a shot in the corner i believe. im not totally sure, but i think it couldve been in the isu game in chicago.
    Just sayin because hes 2 points behind 7th place.
    I'm trying to remember the game early in the year that Kyle took the technical foul shot instead of Jon. Someone said at the time (I think in this thread) jokingly if Jon ends up with 1999 points that'll be the reason why. There are lots of opportunities like this in a given game I'm sure, but these are the 2 that stick out to me as what kept him from getting to matching JWill and Banks.

Just throwing this out there, but Kyle would have to average over 27 points in 40 games, to pass TH in most points in the ACC ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    Just throwing this out there, but Kyle would have to average over 27 points in 40 games, to pass TH in most points in the ACC ever.
    Well, hey, if we play at a fast enough pace . . .

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Well, hey, if we play at a fast enough pace . . .
    That's what I"m hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    That's what I"m hoping.
    Maybe Coach K can hire Paul Westhead as an assistant coach.

I was thinking about Lance Thomas' career and how the kid started a lot of games throughout his career and started to wonder about how many minutes he played in his career. When I looked it up, it was lower than I thought...2,758...but I had no context. So, I started looking up the minutes of guys I figured played the most in their careers. 4,000 minutes seems to be some kind of elite dividing line. Here is a sample of what I looked up:

Shelden - 3,903
    Laettner - 4,049
    Battier - 4,337
    JJ - 4,732
    Hurley - 4,802

Tucked between those top two...Mr. Jon Scheyer at 4,759. I don't know if that's the top of the actual list (I'd like to see the actual list), but I think that's another testament to his impressive legacy.