Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Scheyer Stats

Here are the official ACC stats:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb.../confldrs.html

They also reflect Scheyer with 32 assists and 4 turnovers for an 8:1 ration, which is first in the conference. Ish Smith is second at 3:1.
    Bob Green

Scheyer easily the early season leader for ACC POY.

Adding in Wisconsin numbers (4/1 according to goduke's pdf boxscore)

We have 36 assists to 5 TO's. Which brings John down close to 7/1.

Still tops in ACC. Dropped to...er, stayed at #2 in the NCAA (extrapolating from NCAA.com weekly records that don't have this weeks game yet.)

Scheyer is still over-delivering on what pundits expected of him as a PG

Updating this watch, which is still a long-shot, even after tonight's game. With 36 points tonight, though, he's now at 162 for the season, which puts him exactly at my target of 18 ppg. Scheyer is now at 1,511 for his career, so that's 489 to go. Let's do a breakdown Jason's way, and we'll assume that Duke plays a minimum of one ACC Tourney game and one NCAA Tourney game. (Obviously, we'll all hope for nine total games in those two tourneys.)

25 more games = 19.56 ppg for 2,000
    26 games = 18.81 ppg for 2,000
    27 games = 18.11 ppg for 2,000
    28 games = 17.46 ppg for 2,000
    29 games = 16.86 ppg for 2,000
    30 games = 16.3 ppg for 2,000
    31 games = 15.77 ppg for 2,000
    32 games = 15.28 ppg for 2,000

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Adding in Wisconsin numbers (4/1 according to goduke's pdf boxscore)

We have 36 assists to 5 TO's. Which brings John down close to 7/1.

Still tops in ACC. Dropped to...er, stayed at #2 in the NCAA (extrapolating from NCAA.com weekly records that don't have this weeks game yet.)

Scheyer is still over-delivering on what pundits expected of him as a PG
    So I missed St John's update - 6 and 0 for a total of 42 and 5, ratio of 8.4

Tonights game adds 9 assists and 3 TO's for a total of 51 and 8,

Assist/TO ratio of 6.375.

A little more human, but still the top A/TO ratio in division 1 if everyone else stays the same.

Its a shame that we don't have an athletic point guard that can score.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Its a shame that we don't have an athletic point guard that can score.
    I love jon, and all, but there will be nights when he will be cold, and when he's cold, I hope his ability to provide others with scoring opportunities more than compensates for his shortcoming
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I love jon, and all, but there will be nights when he will be cold, and when he's cold, I hope his ability to provide others with scoring opportunities more than compensates for his shortcoming
    Based on 3+ years of heady play, including a fairly long shooting slump last year and a couple of poor shooting games this year, Jon's ability to provide scoring opportunities for others, defend, rebound and lead, will IMO easily compensate for Jon's "lack of athleticism" during a shooting slump.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Thanks for the updated list, Jumbo.

People need to recognize what a significant accomplishment this would be. Yes, it is probably still a longshot (though making the ACC Title and the Final Four would really help), but it is a really big deal.

-Jason "2000 points does not come around often" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I echo Jason's thanks to Jumbo for updating this thread. Following Jon Scheyer's quest for 2000 points is going to be exciting. With his level of play through the first nine games of the season, Scheyer has to be generating some buzz for ACC POY and All America consideration. He is a great player and we are all very fortunate to be able to enjoy watching him play!
    Bob Green

It's remarkable that any starting Duke PG would fly under the radar but that is exactly what is happening with Scheyer. I think the stink of that Villanova game has carried over and unless Duke goes very far this year, there is a chance that Jon won't get his due...which would be a travesty.

However, if that assist to turnover ratio stays as gaudy as it is through the first half of ACC play, I think he can't help but get more national attention and praise. Right now the perception is still, "he's PG by default".

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    However, if that assist to turnover ratio stays as gaudy as it is through the first half of ACC play, I think he can't help but get more national attention and praise.
    His ATO of 6.4-to-1 is off the charts good. It is an absurd number. You just don't see ATOs like that.

By comparison, the #2 ATO in the ACC is Drew II at 2.3 followed by Ish Smith at 2.2 and Miami Frehsman Durand Scott at 2.0. Scheyer could commit a dozen turnovers with no assists over the next couple games (as if!!) and still comfortably lead the conference in this statistic.

I checked the other major conferences (BCS) and here are how other top players rank in ATO so far this season--

Code:
    Name                      Ast    TO    ATO
    John Scheyer, Duke        5.7   0.9   6.4
    Tory Jackson, NDame       5.1   1.1   4.7
    Tyler Smith, Tenn.        4.1   1.0   4.1
    Korie Lucious, Mich St    4.5   1.1   4.1
    Dogus Balbay, Texas       5.2   1.3   3.9
    Barry Stewart, Miss.      3.0   0.9   3.9
    Ben Hansbro, NDame        5.0   1.5   3.4
    Taylor Jordan, Wisc.      3.3   1.0   3.3
    Derek Glasser, Ariz St    5.6   1.8   3.1
    Chris Kramer, Purdue      3.1   1.0   3.1
    Diante Garrett, IowaSt    6.0   2.0   3.0
    Chris Bass, LSU           3.0   1.3   3.0
    Dash Harris, Tex A&M      3.5   1.2   2.9
    Al Nolen, Minnesota       4.8   1.6   2.9
    Sherron Collins, Kan.     4.4   1.6   2.9
    Chris Howard, So. Fla.    4.4   1.7   2.7
    Jorge Gutierrez, Cal.     3.0   1.1   2.7    
    Andy Rautins, Syrac.      5.2   2.0   2.6
    Kenny Boynton, Fla.       3.9   1.7   2.3
    Larry Drew II, UNC        6.8   2.9   2.3
    I left Drew II and Boyton on the list because Duke fans may be interested in these two guys. There are a lot of players at smaller schools that may have great ATO ratios, but I am not going to hand-check every conference in the land. Plus, I think comparing guys at major programs makes the most sense.

In any event, what Scheyer is doing is just crazy, insane control of the game. I know he is "NOT A PG" but he is as good as we've seen at Duke in many years at setting his teammates up while not making foolish mistakes. It is a marvel to watch.

He needs to get more attention for this!!

--Jason "oh, and his scoring ain't bad either " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    His ATO of 6.4-to-1 is off the charts good. It is an absurd number. You just don't see ATOs like that.

By comparison, the #2 ATO in the ACC is Drew II at 2.3 followed by Ish Smith at 2.2 and Miami Frehsman Durand Scott at 2.0. Scheyer could commit a dozen turnovers with no assists over the next couple games (as if!!) and still comfortably lead the conference in this statistic.

I checked the other major conferences (BCS) and here are how other top players rank in ATO so far this season--

Code:
    I left Drew II and Boyton on the list because Duke fans may be interested in these two guys. There are a lot of players at smaller schools that may have great ATO ratios, but I am not going to hand-check every conference in the land. Plus, I think comparing guys at major programs makes the most sense.

In any event, what Scheyer is doing is just crazy, insane control of the game. I know he is "NOT A PG" but he is as good as we've seen at Duke in many years at setting his teammates up while not making foolish mistakes. It is a marvel to watch.

If he keeps playing like this he'll make a strong case for ACC POY. Another thing that is in his favor is that there are so many quality big men that they may sort of cancel each other out in terms of neutralizing each others' performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Updating this watch, which is still a long-shot, even after tonight's game. With 36 points tonight, though, he's now at 162 for the season, which puts him exactly at my target of 18 ppg. Scheyer is now at 1,511 for his career, so that's 489 to go. Let's do a breakdown Jason's way, and we'll assume that Duke plays a minimum of one ACC Tourney game and one NCAA Tourney game. (Obviously, we'll all hope for nine total games in those two tourneys.)

25 more games = 19.56 ppg for 2,000
    26 games = 18.81 ppg for 2,000
    27 games = 18.11 ppg for 2,000
    28 games = 17.46 ppg for 2,000
    29 games = 16.86 ppg for 2,000
    30 games = 16.3 ppg for 2,000
    31 games = 15.77 ppg for 2,000
    32 games = 15.28 ppg for 2,000
    Long-shot? I think this is a team that would be disappointed if it didn't make the ACC final and at least the Sweet Sixteen. That gives Jon 29 games, and a minimum of 16.86 ppg.

I'm not going to say it's more likely than not, but maybe we differ on what a long-shot is.

"I think the stink of that Villanova game has carried over and unless Duke goes very far this year, there is a chance that Jon won't get his due...which would be a travesty."

I understand what you're saying here. But the ACC POY, All-ACC and All-America teams will be selected prior to the NCAA Tournament.

A more likely impediment might come from his teammates. Remember Singler was the pre-season ACC POY and pre-season All-America. Should Scheyer have a better season than Singler, there will be some lazy/uninformed voters who will default to the preseason buzz. For evidence, let me point out that there actually were people who voted for Tim Tebow for Heisman winner.

Duke does have a history of multiple stars, most recently Redick and S. Williams in 2006 and Battier and J. Williams in 2001. In fact, Battier and JWill each won a national POY award in 2001. So, there are some precedents.

And don't ignore Nolan Smith. Decent trio. In case you're wondering, JWill, Dunleavy and Boozer in '02 are the only trio of teammates named first-team All-ACC in the same season.

There's a lot of basketball left to be played and I suspect this will work itself out. But there's no doubt that Jon Scheyer is playing at a very high level right now and people are paying attention.

Jon is in the process of perfecting Jon Scheyer-type play. He keeps getting better at what he does well and reducing his mistakes.

It's a treat to watch.

Merger

The thread about Scheyer's ATO ratio has now been merged with the thread about his career scoring seeing as they were gradually becoming the same topic anyway.

-Jason "mod much?" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Long-shot? I think this is a team that would be disappointed if it didn't make the ACC final and at least the Sweet Sixteen. That gives Jon 29 games, and a minimum of 16.86 ppg.

I'm not going to say it's more likely than not, but maybe we differ on what a long-shot is.
    Maybe I just don't want to jinx anything!

Code:
    Granted it is early but Jon's 6.4 is ridiculously impressive. For comparison's sake of how things shake out over the entire season, there were only 6 players last season in all of DI who averaged at least 3.0 assists/gm and had an A/TO of 3 or more.

Code:
    Name                                 Ast      A/TO
    Tyler Newbold, Utah State            3.2       4.0
    Levance Fields, Pitt                 7.5       3.8
    Josh Dotzler, Creighton              3.5       3.6
    Ty Lawson, UNC                       6.6       3.5
    Bryan Mullins, S Ill                 5.6       3.4
    Zaire Taylor, Mizzou                 3.4       3.0
    So far this year, Scheyer is keeping some pretty good statistical company as the "NOT A PG" point guard.

Captain Jon Scheyer

The clear leader of this Duke team. I know it's early in the season and the conference games have not even begun but Jon is probably the early season leader for ACC POY. I look for Jon to continue to lead this team through out the year. He's a scorer and not necessarily a pure shooter. He just puts the ball in the basket. Look for him to score the 2K points and get his jersey hung from the rafters. Yeh, I know it's early but that's my opinion and hope. Go Jon and Go Duke!